A successor already? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdoncaulfield

Still Fresh
I'm new to Pandora.  In fact, I'm not even in a position to really trash anyone's project, be it a handheld open-source gaming system or otherwise.  But I can't help but wonder, after reading about the UK company's financial issues and how hundreds of early adapters were left out in the cold by OpenPandora Ltd., if a successor is a bit premature.

I hope you've done your due diligence in creating another handheld device that people will actually WANT to buy.  Obviously EvilDragon's outfit is still standing and there's something to be said about that after the UK outfit crashed and burned.  But now that there's only one option, I hope the same people who were "saved" by OpenPandora GmbH (you launched a campaign to get members of the community to buy UK members of the community Pandoras - really?  How was that not OpenPandora Ltd.'s responsibility?) don't get left high and dry this go around.  You guys better make this thing work!  I'd get rid of that abhorrent keyboard layout.  It's like the Pandora has an identity crisis - is it a gaming handheld or an ugly pseudo-tablet?  Regardless, I'm rooting for you all.  Just a little pissed off after reading the Pandora's Wikipedia entry that there is literally another Pandora on the way...

How was that not OpenPandora Ltd.'s responsibility?
It absolutely is OP Ltd's responsibility.

But it sucks to have ordered a device from someone who lost your money and is now refusing to explain what happened.

Is there anything wrong with the community wanting to help out?

I don't quite see what you are objecting to.

Its not as though Pandora production could continue anyway, since some of the parts have been EOL for the last couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
 It's like the Pandora has an identity crisis - is it a gaming handheld or an ugly pseudo-tablet?
I can't see why anyone would think it's a pseudo-tablet.. It's a  gaming handheld and an UMPC.. it's just geared for things other than just console emulation.. Like Amiga, DOS and Native Linux applications. which is why it has a keyboard. 

It's like the Pandora has an identity crisis - is it a gaming handheld or an ugly pseudo-tablet?
I can't see why anyone would think it's a pseudo-tablet.. It's a  gaming handheld and an UMPC.. it's just geared for things other than just console emulation.. Like Amiga, DOS and Native Linux applications. which is why it has a keyboard. 
*Facepalms*

Pseudo-tablet - is that what we are actually calling PCs that you can actually do work on these days?

How was that not OpenPandora Ltd.'s responsibility?
It absolutely is OP Ltd's responsibility.

But it sucks to have ordered a device from someone who lost your money and is now refusing to explain what happened.

Is there anything wrong with the community wanting to help out?

I don't quite see what you are objecting to.

Its not as though Pandora production could continue anyway, since some of the parts have been EOL for the last couple of years.
I was thinking they were partner companies.  There isn't anything wrong about the community wanting to help, but I'd rather have legal advice than a Pandora if I were one of the snubbed.

In the next version, you guys should get rid of the laptop design and use a touch-screen interface for the keyboard IMO.  The keyboard and joystick nubs AND classic controller pad buttons are clashing terribly.  Design is important too, isn't it?

But now that there's only one option, I hope the same people who were "saved" by OpenPandora GmbH don't get left high and dry this go around.
The Pandora isn't going anywhere, the community is pretty strong, but regardless of whether you're worried about planned obsolescence or whatever there's one very important fact you are missing: the parts are running out. There's only enough to build a few hundred more and then that's it, they can no longer be acquired, things like the wifi chip and the LCD screen. If ED doesn't start planning a successor for when those parts are gone then he's going to be left with demand and no product. Even after all these years and all the setbacks the Pandora is still selling basically as fast as he can make them.He could try to get replacement parts, but they wouldn't be the same, they'd have different pins, different electrical signals, the hardware would be changing, the board would need a redesign, the case might need some tweaks: as long as all these changes are required may as well go whole hog and build something entirely new and better.

In the next version, you guys should get rid of the laptop design and use a touch-screen interface for the keyboard IMO.
Then it would be just like any other tablet, it would have very little to distinguish it from the dozens of existing Android handhelds. The keyboard is a major selling feature for a lot of people. If you think that getting rid of the keyboard would cut costs then unfortunately you are mistaken: it would cut the cost some but not by the hundreds of dollars required to get it competitive with existing options.

the next version, you guys should get rid of the laptop design and use a touch-screen interface for the keyboard IMO.  The keyboard and joystick nubs AND classic controller pad buttons are clashing terribly.  Design is important too, isn't it?
Nope. It's one of the best feature of the device.. I see touch-screen only devices as useless, they're good at reading something, watching videos, making phone calls.. they SUCK at gaming, they suck at getting work done.. so much is lost when going touch screen only.. 

*Facepalms*

Pseudo-tablet - is that what we are actually calling PCs that you can actually do work on these days?
Ha!  Nice dig.  Yeah, I guess I don't understand the point of the Pandora.  I was mostly just pissed off and stormed over here to write a bunch of nonsense about OpenPandora Ltd. and then started going off on a tangent about how ugly I think the device looks.  Sorry for disrupting your forum guys.

I'm gonna go read the FAQ that is inevitably pinned somewhere on these boards and refrain from saying anything else until I have a handle on things.

the next version, you guys should get rid of the laptop design and use a touch-screen interface for the keyboard IMO.  The keyboard and joystick nubs AND classic controller pad buttons are clashing terribly.  Design is important too, isn't it?
Nope. It's one of the best feature of the device.. I see touch-screen only devices as useless, they're good at reading something, watching videos, making phone calls.. they SUCK at gaming, they suck at getting work done.. so much is lost when going touch screen only.. 
I recant my prior post to respond to this one.

So you believe an on-screen keyboard sucks at gaming and getting work done.  I agree with you actually.  Why do you dislike it for the aforementioned tasks?  What could potentially make it better?  Do you personally see the physical keyboard ever going out of style for what you want to use it for - could an on-screen keyboard ever replace it, if only it were tweaked here and there?

The problem with touch controls of any kind, be they for writing or gaming, is the lack of physical feedback  - The ability to feel with your fingers where you are on the key/pad/button, and the ability to feel with your finger when you've pressed down far enough for it to take. That is intrinsically difficult to replicate on a surface without physical buttons.

I hope you've done your due diligence in creating another handheld device that people will actually WANT to buy.

Also, must respond to this: Had the original Pandora been something that people didn't want to buy, we wouldn't have had the problem with hundreds of buyers without pandoras...

Why do you dislike it for the aforementioned tasks?  What could potentially make it better?  Do you personally see the physical keyboard ever going out of style for what you want to use it for - could an on-screen keyboard ever replace it, if only it were tweaked here and there?

With touchscreens you loose any sense of where your fingers actually are, you don't have any physical feedback. sure Haptic feedback helps a little telling you if you hit something, but not necessarily the right thing. I don't ever see physical keyboards ever going out of style, unless some neural interface comes out that simulates a virtual floating keyboard or something(has to be virtual buckling springs for me to like it).. 

Not only that but I want the screen to show me what I'm doing and not to mash my fingers into it.

EDIT: I like this guy - follows logic. Doesn't feel like beating ones head into the wall. :D

I hope you've done your due diligence in creating another handheld device that people will actually WANT to buy.

Also, must respond to this: Had the original Pandora been something that people didn't want to buy, we wouldn't have had the problem with hundreds of buyers without pandoras...
Dude, touche.  I said a lot of stupid things in my first post here.  Hopefully I can become a productive member of the community.  I apologize for trashing your product and in general being a little shit, EvilDragon.

Dude, touche.  I said a lot of stupid things in my first post here.
I think noone is surprised that it takes a little while to kinda get all the complexities that has been around this, so you're not alone :D  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back