All Orders Refunded - So What If You Didn't Get A Refund?

Huh. So I just got a reorder email today, as well as a refund. Maybe there was just a little delay there.

US Bank. Think it's based in Minnesota, not really sure. There aren't any branches near me.

Got my Action required email this morning, ah well at least I know I am in the first batch when I re-order :)

RMJ250 said:
I haven't recieved an email, I'm in Hong Kong atm and paid with a Hong Kong credit card through GBAX, I've had a CC statement saying I have paid it off but I guess I better check now if it's been refunded in the meantime...

really excited now seeing the latest update... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, given I just got the email TODAY and no money in the credit/debit card account - the simple answer is....

NOT all orders have been refunded

Think whatever you want about their announcement on this, the proof in the pudding is that emails are still going out as of at least eight hours ago.

Yes, I am bitter. Not about the delay but about being told the refunds were done when they patently were not. And, no, parsing the statement with "as far as we know" will not work - given the email came from the gp2xorders email address.

BenT said:
Yes, I am bitter.
So... What is it that's making you bitter? I mean, yes obviously they weren't correct when they said that and there's maybe a little disappointment when you think you're safe and then find out that you're actually going to have to reorder, but really - what's the big deal?

Obviously between this post and that other one you're pretty upset, I'm just not seeing why. Somebody made a mistake. Oops. The end result isn't that tragic, you just need to enter your credit card information again.

BenT said:
Actually, given I just got the email TODAY and no money in the credit/debit card account - the simple answer is....

NOT all orders have been refunded

Think whatever you want about their announcement on this, the proof in the pudding is that emails are still going out as of at least eight hours ago.

Yes, I am bitter. Not about the delay but about being told the refunds were done when they patently were not. And, no, parsing the statement with "as far as we know" will not work - given the email came from the gp2xorders email address.

Let's reiterate this. THEY AREN'T PROCESSING THE REFUNDS. The bank is doing all of the refund processing; Craig and co. are just sending out emails telling people that they are receiving refunds and have to reorder. That's first. Second, the refunds and emails are going out in different orders (due, in part, to the fact that it's two groups of people doing them), so you could receive an email way before you get a refund, or maybe even get your email after your refund appears in your statement.

EDIT: Misunderstood you, partially. Remember that refunds can take time, especially with international ones (apparently). Be patient, you'll get your money. The fact that they've been processed on one end doesn't mean they're processed on the other as well.

EDIT 2: Sorry that my initial post was so angry. I'm just a bit tired of people getting so bitter about the whole refund situation. They're doing everything they can to get you your money back. Everyone needs to stop bitching and moaning and realize that they'd probably do a TERRIBLE job of handling this compared to Craig if they were in his shoes. (This is not directed at you.)

People are misunderstanding me. I am not upset that I got a refund email or that the money has not hit the account. I've been expecting this for some time (since they mentioned some people would be getting them... Murphy's Law has me in that group).

I am upset that someone in the know, other than the bank, lied &/or misled the community (& hence, me) with the "All Refunds Sent" post (which is still stickied and uncorrected). The bank is in charge of the money moving between accounts - GP2X are in charge of the emails. For them to send the refund email five days AFTER telling us (through Chip) it was all done is what is riling me.

Again, to be perfectly clear, it is not the fact I am one of the refundees or that the money has yet to come. I am not even fussed so much that the CC order page has yet to come. I am upset with what I can only judge as deliberate misinformation. If I were Chip, I'd be even more upset.

Vorporeal: I was & still am calm about the refund situation. I am upset about the honesty situation.

I got the refund mail Nov 21 and waited for the refund to show up for few days. It never did so I replied to the mail and they promised to look into it. Then I went back to my bank and looked back to the day when I made the purchase and there it was. For some reason the refund had the same date even though it wasn't there earlier.

BenT: it's possible there was a miscommunication. Perhaps the bank had provided OpenPandora with the final list of refunds they were processing, and this is what Chip reported. But then the two girls manually processing the e-mails had to match those up with hundreds of orders and send out the reorder e-mails -- which could take several days, thus the discrepency.

I tend to believe this sequence of events, as some people have reported receiving the refund at the same time or before receiving the e-mail.

BenT said:
I am upset with what I can only judge as deliberate misinformation. If I were Chip, I'd be even more upset.
That's a pretty absurd assumption to make. Why on earth would anybody say "all clear" if they knew it wasn't? Craig's exact words were "All the refunds are done as far as I know.", which is exactly what I reported in the sticky.

Perhaps the reason I'm not upset is because I have the "luxury" of knowing just how hard the guys are working on getting this project done. Since I get to hear about all the bullshit that they're dealing with to make this happen, I'm not the least bit upset that there was a bit of miscommunication between the order processors and the boss. Considering everything that's going on, it's totally understandable. Your assertion that I was deliberately misinformed is completely ridiculous.

Your assertion that I was deliberately misinformed is completely ridiculous.

With all due respect, Chip, how can it be ridiculous from my perspective? It has been mentioned (by you, I believe, but may be wrong) that there are TWO people processing the cancellations/re-orders. I am assuming that there is not a long chain of command between these two people and Craig (please correct me if I am wrong).

Assuming the above information is correct, and given the factthat I got my email five days after you said Craig gave the all clear, somewhere between the two processors and you - someone lied or got their wires seriously crossed.

Please point out the snippet above that makes my assertion "ridiculous"... I've worked small business before in very hectic situations too. Assuming I don't know how hard everyone is working or that I don't realize the desire to release good news under such conditions is as ridiculous as you claim my perspective to be.

BenT said:
I've worked small business before in very hectic situations too. Assuming I don't know how hard everyone is working or that I don't realize the desire to release good news under such conditions is as ridiculous as you claim my perspective to be.
you got any information to back up that claim?

Hmm, I wonder what's more likely:

A) A vastly overworked and sleep deprived Craig made a mistake in thinking that the refunds were done (possibly misinterpreting a piece of information), and hurriedly sent the info to Chip, thinking that he was doing everyone a solid.

-=Or=-

B) Sitting on his throne of children's skulls and wringing his hands, Craig started twirling his villainous mustache and wondered aloud: "How could I possibly spread fear and panic through deliberate misinformation?!? A really sweet bonus would be if it were to screw over that wretched Chip and his rainbow shoes of truth and justice!" An idea sprang into Craig's head, and he immediately celebrated by kicking a puppy.

Man, this is a tough one...

jellmoo said:

A) A vastly overworked and sleep deprived Craig...

-=Or=-

B) Sitting on his throne of children's skulls and wringing his hands, Craig...

Can I have a lifeline?

jellmoo said:

A) A vastly overworked and sleep deprived Craig made a mistake in thinking that the refunds were done (possibly misinterpreting a piece of information), and hurriedly sent the info to Chip, thinking that he was doing everyone a solid.

-=Or=-

B) Sitting on his throne of children's skulls and wringing his hands, Craig started twirling his villainous mustache and wondered aloud: "How could I possibly spread fear and panic through deliberate misinformation?!? A really sweet bonus would be if it were to screw over that wretched Chip and his rainbow shoes of truth and justice!" An idea sprang into Craig's head, and he immediately celebrated by kicking a puppy.

Don't be absurd. Craig hasn't got a mustache. Geez, this is how misinformation gets spread. And you forgot to mention what he did to the cat...

Misinformation? Miscommunication?

craigix said:
we know some of you are frustrated by the slow refund and reorder process - believe me so are we - this situation could not
be more of a nightmare for us especially as we had no idea it would happen

Those of you who are angry about the situation please understand that what happened was not our choice, someone who was clueless
to the project saw our bank balance, paniced without speaking to us, and set the wheels in motion for a pointless refund process.
*Flashback* (Whooshing noises are the responsibility of the reader)

craigix said:
Speaking of incidents our bank manager is so difficult and IMO clueless to the Pandora project we are seriously considering changing banks right now, that may cause some hick ups for the card based orders. More on that soon.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry663547

/grabs coat and flees

Asmo said:
Misinformation? Miscommunication?

Neither, as both statements are true. We had no idea before the preorders came in that the bank would force us to issue refunds and change banks. If we had the option to simply accept the original orders and carry on, of course we would have. When Craig said "We are seriously considering changing banks right now", what he meant was "We're trying to make our bank see reason, but if they don't, we'll have to change banks". At the time he was still trying to be diplomatic about it.

Furthermore, after the bank informed us that we must refund all orders, we had no idea that they would drag their feet with the process. We had no idea they would wait nearly two weeks between when we processed the refunds on our end and they actually refunded the money.

This entire situation was forced on us by the bank. If you think it is inconvenient for you, it quite literally several thousand times more inconvenient for us. If there were any way at all to have avoided it or have made it go more smoothly, we absolutely would have done it. Even in retrospect, there was no way for us to have seen this coming. It was simply bad luck that we happened to have our account at a bank which, for reasons I am not supposed to discuss, made the decisions it did.

Chip said:
Furthermore, after the bank informed us that we must refund all orders, we had no idea that they would drag their feet with the process...

...If you think it is inconvenient for you, it quite literally several thousand times more inconvenient for us...
Did you have to refund all orders in the end? (I think many would find it more understandable if you did). Major amount of effort either way, and hopefully nearly done...

TaG said:
Did you have to refund all orders in the end? (I think many would find it more understandable if you did). Major amount of effort either way, and hopefully nearly done...

Not all. The bank didn't pitch a fit the moment the orders came in, they waited until we started taking the money out of the account to pay our bills. I don't know how many orders went through before they put on the brakes, but the ones that did make it through do not need refunding. I'm hesitant to even make a guess as to numbers, but I think it's safe to assume 25% or less made it through. The rest are being / have been refunded.
EDIT: Just to clarify, this was the case when Craig explained everything to me a few weeks ago. It is possible that things have changed in the meantime. Just covering my bases so that people don't start screaming "Liar liar!" if things turn out differently. ;)

Back