Bunch of Nubs (2010-10-28)

Since I knowingly bought a "one nubber", I have no intention of asking OpenPandora to replace my nubs.

However, I'd be more than happy to purchase 3 or 4 "new nubs" after they go into production.

I've dealt with many SMD systems, and feel confident that I can do the repair myself.

Any idea as to price and availability for extra nubs?

If you are looking for a count of extra nubs needed for whatever reason, warranty or otherwise, add 4 for me, please.

Thanks,

j.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was what I said two months ago and that is what I'm saying today. Wohoo! Only two months left! ;)
I expect to have my Pandora for Xmas! I'm the second batch between 1150-1250...

My first expected Date was on October, later on November, now I'm praying to have for Xmas... hehehe.

But I'm not worried, for the pandora I can wait!

Good Luck with the nubs!!!

My first expected Date was on October, later on November, now I'm praying to have for Xmas... hehehe.

Hey, I ordered on day one of first batch and would be pleasently surprised if I'll have it by xmas. You are really optimistic ;)

If I've understood correctly, they are about 1000 boards short of even starting on batch 2 boards.

I'm also in batch 2, around 500th place, and I don't expect to get mine until 2011... I'm hoping for early 2011, but wouldn't surprise me if I was still Pandora-less in Marsh.

I would NOT recommend taking your pandora into the marsh

Haha, after looking it up, no... I will not take my future Pandora into the wetlands of any sorts. I'm from Sweden and well, lets just leave my English Fail at that! :D

My view on one-nubbers is…

I think the OPT *should* champion there cause. Their “deal” is between OPT and themselves and if the Nub company honours their quality mistake then that should extend to the one-nubbers too. They are otherwise on there own. If P&P or a portion of the repair cost has to be met by OPT then the one nubbers would also have to pay this. It would be their call and a cheaper way to up-spec their Pandora (than buying the nubs and getting someone to do this and voiding their warranty).

Some may be put out if the "queue-jumbers" get a fully working Pandora but I’m not worried about what others have. They we’re helping out the OPT at the time and took the risk. If it comes good for them then I’m pleased for them. Plus not all of them were behind me in the queue. :p

As a minimum the Nub Company should send the one-nubbers a couple of free nubs.

If I've understood correctly, they are about 1000 boards short of even starting on batch 2 boards.

I'm also in batch 2, around 500th place, and I don't expect to get mine until 2011... I'm hoping for early 2011, but wouldn't surprise me if I was still Pandora-less in Marsh.
Nop...

I think they serve the first 800 Pandora in the first batch and 200 of them left... The second Batch is from 1000-2000.

The just left... between 350-450 pandoras... Ups... I think I'll have to pray mooore if I want for Xmas...

HEHEHEHE.

I edit Myself:

I re-read the mail I have from Pandora, my position in 2nd batch is 150-250. Maybe... can arrives.... Maybe...

Last edited by a moderator:
My view on one-nubbers is…
My view on one-nubbers is that the people that took up that offer either didn't care about nubs at all, or didn't want to play dualshock games, or just wanted to get a Pandora as soon as possible. We could argue about the proportions of each of these, but I'm pretty sure there is a number of each, so you can't say that they all require new nubs. Technically I'd also say you couldn't say any of them deserve new nubs, since the terms of the contract were clear when they bought them - they may be able to get new nubs in the future, but not for free (unless I'm misremembering).

On the other hand, any number of the existing nubs in one-or-two nub systems might fail due to manufacturing errors during the warranty period (bad tolerances or using the wrong materials). Users can certainly require OPT to fix those, so I'd have thought they'd be able to require their suppliers to do the same. But I don't really know - I don't know whether the act that protects consumers applies to b2b contracts too, and I'm certain it doesn't apply across borders.

Not yet. But I'm pretty sure we can sell them to you :)
Thanks for the reply, ED.

Please post up when extras are available for sale by Craig or yourself.

And, as to the "one nubbers", I got what I paid for, and am very happy.

I've even used it "in the marsh" while lolling in the hot tub in the backyard, FTW!!!

Not yet. But I'm pretty sure we can sell them to you :)
I would hope that OP add in all the one/none nubbers when they are negotiating how many replacement nubs they ought to be getting for free. I think the real unknown for them is the number of in field failures which people have not yet sent back. It does seem that out of the first run of nubs, quite a lot of people have no problems, but how many more are going to fail in the next 6 months?

Replacing them is quite time consuming, even with the right equipment (unless you were to get a custom soldering ring made up), so it's not just a case of getting 400 free nubs.

Once i've replaced mine, I'll probably be able to replace nubs for anyone who is local if they want to take the risk of loosing their waranty but not have to send their unit back.

EvilDragon, will you sell the new nubs as spare parts?

I'd like to try it, but I don't want to send my pandora back for replacing nubs (I will do it by myself).

OK... and three days later?

Any word from Michael?

Haven't heard any "they're crap" yet, which usually means he didn't find any problems so far (and he has a special rig using custom written testing software).

As the company won't do anything before tomorrow (it's Sunday ;) ), he'll probably inform us and them tomorrow :)

EvilDragon, will you sell the new nubs as spare parts?

I'd like to try it, but I don't want to send my pandora back for replacing nubs (I will do it by myself).
I'd hang on for the "socketed" version, if I was you. ED has just posted some news about these.

Back