Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
Zider said:
How come noone does a "hybrid" battery compartment, that can take either a custom powerful battery pack, chargable thru an adapter, or a bunch of std AAs if you're stuck without charging possibility? It shouldn't be too difficult to do imo..
CR3V` s ?.

http://www.bestbatterydeal.co.uk/assets/s2...70a116f16c.html

Trooper

Yeah, something like that.. :) A 4xAA-sized thing would be even nicer I guess, but that's the idea at least.

I just have one very small point to make out.

Producing a new system on the MMSP2+ at the moment would be a bad idea as MagicEye has already announced that the MMSP3 will be released with ARM10.

Arm industries ensures that at a 0.13 process, atleast 400MHz would be the minimal standard.

So if the next system was based on the MMSP2+, by the time it is released, the new SoC would already be released. So, we have a new system based on old technology.

Zider said:
How come noone does a "hybrid" battery compartment, that can take either a custom powerful battery pack, chargable thru an adapter, or a bunch of std AAs if you're stuck without charging possibility? It shouldn't be too difficult to do imo..
Lego does that with the NXT

For me, if they are ever going to use Li-ion, they should use one or two of Nokia's most popular mobile phones batteries, they're slim and have proven to last long enough, they can be found anywhere for very cheap prices, and every place I go there is a Nokia charger, so they can use this charger as a standard.

craigix said:
Mmmm if you want a brick like device which PSP owners will laugh at it might work, but they would still not be as efficient as a li-ion. It's much better to have that area set up properly with a proper charger so it all works out the box.
Thinner isn't always better though. Did you ever notice hat console controllers are pretty fat in design? There is a reason for that. I had a Zodiac which was razor thin. nice for the "kewl" factor but utter shit to play, cramped me up after 15 minutes. I would put more emphasis on ergonomics than worry about what the PSP fanboiz think.

DaveC said:
Thinner isn't always better though. Did you ever notice hat console controllers are pretty fat in design? There is a reason for that. I had a Zodiac which was razor thin. nice for the "kewl" factor but utter shit to play, cramped me up after 15 minutes. I would put more emphasis on ergonomics than worry about what the PSP fanboiz think.
Seems to me they're out for the kill - they probably want to provide an alternative to 'PSP fanboiz' and cover the er current community. Commercially viable is probably the word.

... If the new console does have a removable clip on battery, then it would be easy enough to mod an AA pack. If not it will be neither easy to replace the battery or use backups. Using a pack will certainly add bulk, and practicality. I'm guessing it'll be about as interchangeable as the DS battery.

I'd guess this console is already fairly progressed, what else have GPH been doing? Chances are a switchover to MMSP3 would be to start back at square one.

Alex. said:
Also, please make a hardwired volume wheel, don't rely on everyone implementing software volume control in their devices! It's also great for making sure you won't ever get your ears blown up when using earphones.
Yes. It's there already. ;)

Exophase said:
Not buying it. There is no replacement for instructions. Loading registers (via memory, I'm sure) is never, ever going to be a fast enough solution to emulate an FPU.
Sure, it's not going to completely replace an actual FPU if an emulated game or whatever is doing floating point stuff, but it'll certainly be good enough for 3D usage. I'm not sure if it has a single space for your FPU code, but if you can have multiple blocks and just assign the PC to the relevent one (for example), then it could still be very useful for other purposes.

Exophase said:
Besides that, what'd you say it has, 4 vector FPU registers? Not good enough.
No, it can do 4 FPU operations at the same time. It seems to have 64 24-bit FPU registers.

I think that what people don't 'get' is that most people would actually prefer a li-ion battery rather than AAs. If this is going to sell well, it needs to appeal to more than just a few people here.

I'm all for a lithium battery, if it is removable. I was pretty disappointed that Creative sealed up the most recent Zen mp3 players. Once those batteries start to go after a year or two from manufacturing, they're next to useless.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I'd also go for a hardware volume control, just a little resistor shouldn't be too difficult? Although the buttons we do have come in useful in some games.

Changing the hardware spec seems like asking for trouble to me, GPH are bound to knacker backward-compatibility.

Keep us posted. :)

Well if this thing isn't vapourware, then I hope for most of the above improvements and also a larger res screen... :)
I guess also linux 2.6.. and wifi if they want to take on the big boys - good luck with it.

kevcal said:
Well if this thing isn't vapourware, then I hope for most of the above improvements and also a larger res screen... :)
I guess also linux 2.6.. and wifi if they want to take on the big boys - good luck with it.
Your ideas do sound good.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
kevcal said:

if iam not mistaken like there is an extra battery pack u get for the psp that takes aas its made by some 3d company i believe i saw this at gamestop/ebgames
also this will have linux right? but i wonder wat type of linux this will use. It would be nice if it used like a "reknowned linux" like ubuntu.

predatorramboxxx said:
EvilDragon said:
kevcal said:

if iam not mistaken like there is an extra battery pack u get for the psp that takes aas its made by some 3d company i believe i saw this at gamestop/ebgames
also this will have linux right? but i wonder wat type of linux this will use. It would be nice if it used like a "reknowned linux" like ubuntu.

And get it to boot 100 times slower than fw3? hell no! open2x ftw :D

Regarding to AA or dual battery option;

As we see; many people still don't know what type of batteries they should use or which capacity, how it should be charged and even discharged. We got many complaints because of the dead, leaking batteries harmed GP2X. A custom battery will solve all the issues above. In dual battery situation it is the same. Many people will place unapproprite AA batteries which will leak and harm the device for example.

If it could charge from usb then it would be perfect. There's nothing more anoying than having to take a charger to and from work all the time. I virtually stopped using my Zodiac because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back