Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex. said:
Perhaps that's the full market for a GP2X-like device. Go deeper, and you'll further flood the place with N64 kids who are unwilling to learn spelling and manners.
Simple solution to that - ban the n64 kiddies, and force them into lurking. That way we can have techno geek discussions and the N64 kiddies can learn how to er ... learn. Or just go off and do random acts of vandalism.

...Photos?

Last edited by a moderator:
See all I really want is a dual analog handheld, with a 3d card. It would make my brains planets align.

You might be surprised - the N64 kids are probably growing up by now, which means they'll be starting to learn how to type! Maybe.

Li-ion is absolutely fine, as I've said before, as long as it's a standard that's cheap, replaceable, and easy to find. Would be nice if it also shipped with a stand alone charger for the batteries, since using the unit to charge whilst you're playing isn't always feasable - although if that's how it is, that's how it is...

Re: power of the next system, is it worth considering the possibility of getting current-gen handheld things to work on it or not? I can't see PSP going very far, but maybe there'll be a chance for NDS if the machines is designed well enough. Maybe.

I must say, whilst I still thin the 2x has a lot of life left, the number of enthusiastic posts here combined with low current 2x sales might suggest that it may indeed be time to think about making the next one.

Oh, another point springs to mind. I wonder if there is any chance whatsoever of using an SOC that's actually got developer documents released to the public? That's been a huge nuissance for the 2x, really, if I understand the situation correctly (especially with scalling and the 2d accelleration features).

Squidge said:
Sure, it's not going to completely replace an actual FPU if an emulated game or whatever is doing floating point stuff, but it'll certainly be good enough for 3D usage. I'm not sure if it has a single space for your FPU code, but if you can have multiple blocks and just assign the PC to the relevent one (for example), then it could still be very useful for other purposes.
Okay, my entire original point was that it won't work for N64 emulation, which has come up a few times in this thread. For 3D transformation and lighting? Of course, isn't that what it was made for anyway?

therealadmin said:
See all I really want is a dual analog handheld, with a 3d card. It would make my brains planets align.
If it's got 3d, then either dual analog sticks/nubs or single + a touch screen is practically a requirement. The PSP only has one and it kind of sucks playing games that would typically use two on a proper console.

I think that wifi is a huge thing to consider for GPH. It would make everybody very happy. I know I would love to use a Netplay feature in my favorite emulators. Or even play a first person shooter online with this new system. It would change everything if we had wifi. Imagine the possibilities:

-surfing the internet with homebrew web browsers
-a version of this site dedicated especially for this new console (for viewing/posting purposes)
-easy downloading of new emulators and firmware (from this site)
-automatic program updates (similar to network update on the psp)
-instant messengers
-media streaming from both the internet and your home network
-streaming games from your computer's hdd
-transferring files without a need for hooking your console up to the computer

Wifi would make this thing more important or useful than most umpc's. UMPC's without touchscreens, of course. ;)

So correct me if I am wrong, but so far we have a volume wheel and a Dpad, and Li-Ion, and higher resolution, is that correct? Oh yeah, included charge/play cable (yay)

Will it have a USB/Wifi built in?? Could it power them? Will there be a space inside for a stripped Wifi USB stick?? I prefer that option because we can source our own Wifi options without proprietary issues. (unless it is possible to put a mini-PCI slot wifi card into it for cheaper ;))

I hope so, because my main problem with the GP2X is no support for USB keyboards, ironically on games ported directly from the PC :wacko: . With USB onboard from the start we are much more likely to get proper support.

Hi guys
I think it would be awesome if it was clamshell in design as after the psion revo died and more recently the sharp zaurrus linux device there now a big gap in market for something like that. If it had a keyboard built on like the psion as well as the joystick it would be the ultimate mobile gaming/linux portable device!. Just think mobile half life! zx spectrum ! video! spreadsheets!.................... :)

There's only one solution to get more sales out of the GP2X line, make a smaller version in both form factor and price. An upgraded GP2X will fail miserably.

OMars said:
I think that wifi is a huge thing to consider for GPH. It would make everybody very happy. I know I would love to use a Netplay feature in my favorite emulators. Or even play a first person shooter online with this new system. It would change everything if we had wifi. Imagine the possibilities:

-a version of this site dedicated especially for this new console (for viewing/posting purposes)
-instant messengers

Wifi would make this thing more important or useful than most umpc's. UMPC's without touchscreens, of course. ;)
Not to mention the possibility of plugging in a Skypephone using some USB connector and getting voip without mobile contracts...

Now *that* would open up a new market for the thing. Wifi and VoIP = effective mobile telephone. And especially in the states that would be absolutely fantastic - call anyone (albeit not quite from anywhere, but not too hard to fnd an access point) without any contracts at all :D.

JaqMs said:
There's only one solution to get more sales out of the GP2X line, make a smaller version in both form factor and price. An upgraded GP2X will fail miserably.
Absolutely, the GBA Micro was such a runaway success :rolleyes:

D.

OMars said:

-instant messengers

This sounds like hard work in coding apps and drivers for Firmware and all that stuff. When We would have the Device today, I could imagine, to get everything working correctly, it will take another half year or more. When I look to the GP2X without such stuff build in and how long it has taken, that GP2X Firmware was working correctly.

Tobriand said:
Not to mention the possibility of plugging in a Skypephone using some USB connector and getting voip without mobile contracts...

Now *that* would open up a new market for the thing. Wifi and VoIP = effective mobile telephone. And especially in the states that would be absolutely fantastic - call anyone (albeit not quite from anywhere, but not too hard to fnd an access point) without any contracts at all :D.
Yeah, that would widen the new console's audience, too.

I just realized that it would be amazing if we could get a head set to communicate with each other in action games or other programs. That would be sooooooooooooooo sweet!!! :D

fusion_power said:
This sounds like hard work in coding apps and drivers for Firmware and all that stuff. When We would have the Device today, I could imagine, to get everything working correctly, it will take another half year or more. When I look to the GP2X without such stuff build in and how long it has taken, that GP2X Firmware was working correctly.
It's coming out around Christmas time, I believe. That would give that enough time to setup at least some of those features. And, btw, I meant that a lot of these things can be done by the programmers on these forums. They don't necessarily have to come out on day one of the launch. ;)

Analogs would be a necessity, too. You just can't play a good 3D game without analogs. I've seen super-small ps2 controllers with miniature analogs: LINK

edit: Is that a hint that this thing will have wifi, craigix? This thing will sell like hot cakes, man. Good luck to you and GPH. :D

For those who didn't see it, I think this was the thread that stated all this HERE

Whilst all this is very exciting, it is likley to be a long time before we have anythink to purchase and we are now going to have endless threads from noobs asking when its coming out, how much is it, can it emulate this that and the other etc etc.......................... :angry:

dosteridge said:
For those who didn't see it, I think this was the thread that stated all this HERE

Whilst all this is very exciting, it is likley to be a long time before we have anythink to purchase and we are now going to have endless threads from noobs asking when its coming out, how much is it, can it emulate this that and the other etc etc.......................... :angry:

There is a simple solution to that problem. Close the thread and give them a warning. If they want to know things about it, they should know that this this is the place to ask. I asked about wifi and got a hint that might very well mean that it will have a wireless.

I'd really love a device with Opengl ES 2.0 support, but I think it's impossible :( (because 2.0 has support for shaders, and ES because it's dedicated to embeded and multimedia devices)

Anyway, if it has a dedicated 3D gpu, I will buy it for sure. Because I'd really really really love to port my 3D engine (and my future games based on that engine)

A good 3D hardware, please! with FPU!

Oh and wifi, a little but high res touch screen, internal big storage (like 4GB), analog stick PLUS nintendo or genesis/megadrive style D-PAD, hardware volume wheel (***ing GP2X's software volume :() linux 2.6, retrocompatible with GP2X, USB host, long duration batteries, a headphone jack that doesn't fall off, a good position of connectors,power button and volume wheel, a good price, easy to replace firmware's apps, easy to use interface

Extra things I dont' care much: analog shoulder triggers, bluetooth, integrated QWERTY keyboard (touch screen should be a good sustitute for this)

This is my GP2X++ of my dreams, if the sucesor of the GP2X has that features, I will have to code A LOT because I'd love to code a lot of things for that little creature of my dreams. 3D engine, games, multimedia applications...a msn messenger? (touch screen/keyboard and wifi required)

Oh...I should stop dreaming...that will never be true :(

Bottom line for me is that I'm not a handheld junkie and won't be upgrading for a very long while - whatever the specs - the gp2x is quite capable of everything I need.
Good luck to the rest of you though; hopefully it won't be too long a wait.

All I would want is a emulator handheld with powerful processor say 350 - 400Mhz, powerful 2d accelerator, perhaps 3D and D-pad keep the screen same as gp2x. If you want other fancy stuff get a psp. All this other stuff is unnecessary might be at the expense of good emulation and might make the machine costly. I hope this machine doesn't turn out to be 'XGP'

Hirolaser said:
All I would want is a emulator handheld with powerful processor say 350 - 400Mhz, powerful 2d accelerator, perhaps 3D and D-pad keep the screen same as gp2x. If you want other fancy stuff get a psp. All this other stuff is unnecessary might be at the expense of good emulation and might make the machine costly. I hope this machine doesn't turn out to be 'XGP'
Craigix already hinted that somebody has already invested in this machine. So it will, hopefully, not be vaporware. Plus, this thing is going to be really popular and people are bound to pre-order it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back