Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oops, got to go clean my pants out after this thread!

i would chime in with hopes/desires/wishes but it's all been said :)

davec: of course every design has caveats. but craigix and the good ol boys have been through a couple hand held designs now so we can hope for the best. the gp2x, even with its flaws, was a marked improvement on the gp32.

that said, i hope craigix wasn't joking when he said the thing will be open to peer review. not that they have to listen to anyone's criticisms, but at least all the ideas and complaints will be out on the table BEFORE a billion units are produced!

starpause said:
said, i hope craigix wasn't joking when he said the thing will be open to peer review. not that they have to listen to anyone's criticisms, but at least all the ideas and complaints will be out on the table BEFORE a billion units are produced!
Where did he say that?

If they are still in the "collecting ideas" phase we won't be able to buy anything for a year. Which is okay, but it wasn't my impression from the hints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Don't be so hard on yourself :)
Mmmm...by reading your posts it seems like you know something. If you are working with craigix, then it will be definitely a really good handled :) :) :)

I think that shinneri should add this thing to his GP Newbies site. Once, we get a name and confirmed details about it, though.

If we're talking hardware acceleration, please oh-please give it a strong blitter and basic alpha blending, I want to make games with thousands of sprites on-screen :) Time to go wild, baby :)

I really hope it won't have much more buttons/triggers/etc than the GP2X bar the analogue sticks, who needs 6 shoulder buttons and a qwerty on a gaming handheld? Let it be simple and fun, not over-crowded with features only used in 1% of apps. All extra things like touch screen will only add to the final cost, too, and you won't get much of a community with a handheld that costs more than $200.

Instead of integrating features than can increase the price, like integrated wifi, it will be better to have official SD IO support

And Alex., you are right, keyboard and touch screen are useless. I was only dreaming :D

I'm pretty pleased with the gp2x, but you can't stop progress so this is my wishlist for the new device:

Solid construction.
Wifi
A bit faster (for PSX)
USB (no cradle needed)
SD slot
VGA or/and TV-out
The same or better screen.
The same or better stick
Internal clock (for PDA functionality)
Linux - Open2x + gmenu2x
The same devs
The same community

craigix said:
I think some of you are really going to like this new machine ;)
Stop getting everyone excited like you did before the GP2X came out when you know that there will be many simple flaws that will make many not like the new machine. I remember how excited you got me about the GP2X, but then BAM, it was released and the negative user opinions flooded in.

Anyway, the most important aspect of this new GP2X is ergonomics. The build of it should be very sturdy and reliable. All ports/jacks should be in the correct places so that all gamers will be comfortable during their gaming experience. More time should be spent making a comfortable control pad and less time fixing bugs in on ebook reader or picture viewer. Therefore, beefing up the specs would just distract GPH from the real problems. How can you play N64 on the train when your headphone cable is laying across the screen?

efegea said:
Instead of integrating features than can increase the price, like integrated wifi, it will be better to have official SD IO support

And Alex., you are right, keyboard and touch screen are useless. I was only dreaming :D

Not convinced. SDIO support would be cool, yes, but would leave it's own issues. The following spring quickly to mind:

- Common usage (i.e. probably only 20% of owners, if that, would bother getting an SDIO WiFi card)
- Difficulty of integration (possibly less so with the SDIO stacks that have started to turn up),
- Most annoyingly, storage for stuff accessed from "teh intarweb", or even trying to access it. Copying games back and forth from a probably tiny internal memory (especially if the media for those games gets remotely large) is bound to put people very far off indeed.
- Possibilities of varying hardware differences introducing driver problems.

In contrast, built in WiFi support would have the benefit of being fully pervasive - everyone would have it - whilst not interfering with where you put programs that would use it. The way it worked would be standardised, which presumably would make integration a LOT easier, and qould improve the possibility of things "just working" (even if SDIO should give that).

The bonus of everyone having it of course, is that net gaming becomes a sensible possibility. If only 10 people have bothered to get WiFi SDIO cards (which require a LOT of tracking down last I checked, and are expensive when you do find them), then it really isn't much of one.

Plus, how much is a wifi chipset going to boost the price? Looking at the DigiKey website for RF ICs, the price seems to range from £2 to £18, although since you can get WiFi USB dongles for ~£11, and that will have VAT and probably 30-40% markup on it (maybe less, don't know the markup on electronics really) plus marketting costs, the ICs used in those cannot exceed ~£7. I'd pay an additional £7 for good web-interaction in the device!

Assuming, of course, you can disable it (power saving). But I imagine that goes without saying.

JaqMs said:
craigix said:
Stop getting everyone excited like you did before the GP2X came out when you know that there will be many simple flaws that will make many not like the new machine. I remember how excited you got me about the GP2X, but then BAM, it was released and the negative user opinions flooded in.

Anyway, the most important aspect of this new GP2X is ergonomics. The build of it should be very sturdy and reliable. All ports/jacks should be in the correct places so that all gamers will be comfortable during their gaming experience. More time should be spent making a comfortable control pad and less time fixing bugs in on ebook reader or picture viewer. Therefore, beefing up the specs would just distract GPH from the real problems. How can you play N64 on the train when your headphone cable is laying across the screen?

Whoever said that GPH was doing a new handheld?

Actually a good point... I suppose it's possible the Ninja is finally seeing fruition (backed by Craig/ED, presumably if so). Somehow I can't see it quite, though...

We've been relying on GPH so far, we'll probably be relying on them for some time yet...

Oh, new wish, a virtual punch in the face of selected users!

Craig, you should definitely conspire with the lessers of GPH to someone force the CEO of GPH into resignation.

craigix said:
All I can say, this kind of posts shakes the community :p
I know I really going to like this new machine.

Though we have to wait until something gets clear.

Ciao :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back