Current Status Of The Moulds?

second exodous said:
Does anyone else feel this way? I'm not saying that Craig's updates are bad and EvilDragon's are good, sometimes I like that rush of excitement that Craig's updates give me but sometimes I just want to be calmed and informed by EvilDragon's updates.

I WOULD go that far - in fact, I probably have already. EDs posts make me feel better because they often tell me something I didn't know, or confirm what beforehand was only suspicion. MWeston can do the same - some of his posts are full of meaningful, often vagualy interesting info (it can be hard to make some of this stuff sound interesting).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually releasing too much info at the same time means less frequent updates. Recently there was a gap in updates, which had a noticeable effect.

To me it seems that these updates should be managed somehow. Perhaps prepare a weekly update or similar. That way people have something to look forward to each week.

Besides, updates can probably keep people from focusing too much on deadlines (and therefore delays).

Hehe, who though there was so much to "public relations"? :D

Yoyobuae said:
Actually releasing too much info at the same time means less frequent updates. Recently there was a gap in updates, which had a noticeable effect.

To me it seems that these updates should be managed somehow. Perhaps prepare a weekly update or similar. That way people have something to look forward to each week.

Besides, updates can probably keep people from focusing too much on deadlines (and therefore delays).

They've had an unofficial Announcement Monday going for months already. It's not always update-time but it's fairly common.

Yoyobuae said:
Hah! Having studied management myself, I've learned it's no simple field. :p

EvilDragon said:
sadly, those chinese guys don't talk much. We ask them everyday, the last status update we got was from last week saying it will be finished on the 12th :)
I imagine that there's a gp32x doppelganger where ED, Craigix, and friends keep posting threads, "Hey is the molds done yet?" and the Chinese company makes cryptic replies and pretends to fall off of roofs.

greendots said:
Is shipping pandoras unassembled still an option? I would prefer an unassembled pandora shipped sooner to an assembled one a week or more later.
I don't think they were ever seriously considering that, it would be really complicated as you'd have to ask people whether they wanted it assembled or not, ship unprotected parts, hope they don't break, etc.

lulzfish said:
EvilDragon said:
sadly, those chinese guys don't talk much. We ask them everyday, the last status update we got was from last week saying it will be finished on the 12th :)
I imagine that there's a gp32x doppelganger where ED, Craigix, and friends keep posting threads, "Hey is the molds done yet?" and the Chinese company makes cryptic replies and pretends to fall off of roofs.

greendots said:
Is shipping pandoras unassembled still an option? I would prefer an unassembled pandora shipped sooner to an assembled one a week or more later.
I don't think they were ever seriously considering that, it would be really complicated as you'd have to ask people whether they wanted it assembled or not, ship unprotected parts, hope they don't break, etc.

The falling of the roof was actually quite fun :lol:
Wish craig would make more videos like it, with a little randomness.

Yoyobuae said:
That wouldn't be ideal either, what if it goes a whole week without anyone on the OP team getting updates? Set updates could be addicting.

Also, it's a little late for that, there are only 2 weeks left in this month. If Pandoras do start shipping by the end of the month we'll only get two updates. Also, this close to the end we logically want more updates than when it's a month or more out.

It's close now, really close.

That why said updates should be "managed". It just wouldn't be passing the info along. Maybe hold some juicy bits of info back in case theres an empty space to fill (kinda like the mould photos, I bet those were laying around for a while before being posted).

Yoyobuae said:
That why said updates should be "managed". It just wouldn't be passing the info along. Maybe hold some juicy bits of info back in case theres an empty space to fill (kinda like the mould photos, I bet those were laying around for a while before being posted).
I still don't necessarily agree with you, but non-the-less at this point it would be kinda pointless to manage the updates, it's really is too close now, unless something goes wrong and it's delayed for another month Pandoras will start shipping in a few weeks.

A better way to manage updates would be to send out e-mail with news as they get it. Forums are a poor way to give out news.

I don't know though, some people like it and I shouldn't mock updates on the forums.

Personally, I'd prefer to be updated on every single fart that is even slightly remotely attached to OP. I don't care if it's something as big as moulds being 100% done, or them deciding to change stylus design, or them finding out the battery is actually rated 4201mAh instead of 4200mAh. ANYTHING.

I know it'll never happen, but really, any info at all makes me smile and get even more excited.

Gary13579 said:
Personally, I'd prefer to be updated on every single fart that is even slightly remotely attached to OP. I don't care if it's something as big as moulds being 100% done, or them deciding to change stylus design, or them finding out the battery is actually rated 4201mAh instead of 4200mAh. ANYTHING.

I know it'll never happen, but really, any info at all makes me smile and get even more excited.

I have farted in the same room as my paper mockup of a Pandora. Happy?

Ok, seriously. I agree with you. I would like to know anything and everything happening that at some point in part causes my pandora to arrive. But I also (and no doubt you do as well) realise the downsides of trying to tell everything. We have seen some of it on these very forums even with the current pace.

Monk said:
I WOULD go that far - in fact, I probably have already. EDs posts make me feel better because they often tell me something I didn't know, or confirm what beforehand was only suspicion. MWeston can do the same - some of his posts are full of meaningful, often vagualy interesting info (it can be hard to make some of this stuff sound interesting).

I've given up on paying much attention to Crigstimates, too. ED and MW tend to be a lot more realistic, although quotes such as "Companies MIGHT speed a bit up, as most of them know christmas is a very important event for such devices" tend to make me worry that Craig's over-optimism is starting to rub off. Given the history of the project, I would be more concerned about further delays than keeping fingers crossed that things will speed up!

well, i really don't want to burst anyones bubble, but as i see it, the situation is this: after about half a year of case design, they ultimately decided to give up and hand it over to a chinese factory that they only can contact via the help of google translated emails. and that never promised them any definite completion date i am sure. you are of course entitled to believe that things will be fine soon, but i much rather consider one of the following two outcomes likely:
a) the chinese factory sits on the design for a short time (2-4 weeks maybe) and then tells the team that it's not possible. this i consider the realistic good option. becaus it just delays a bit the next iteration.
b ) this is the case that i consider likely and bad: the job of finalizing the case design is handed off to some unmotivated, underpaid newbie who comes up with ... something. and op is pressed to finally order their few pieces or be done with it. now they have to fight uphill if they want to get a quality product.

i mean, come on. for the chinese factory this thing is probably peanuts and will be treated accordingly. handing the design over to them is begging for trouble. i still do understand that this is probably the only option the devs could afford, but guys, be realistic in how much faith you put into a random cheap chinese plastic company.

ps: don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining or anything. my money is in this and i won't even ask for a refund if the whole thing should go own the drain.

edit: unintentional smileys removed :)

hch said:
well, i really don't want to burst anyones bubble, but as i see it, the situation is this: after about half a year of case design, they ultimately decided to give up and hand it over to a chinese factory that they only can contact via the help of google translated emails.

What the hell are you talking about? The case design was finished ages ago, the chinese factory is necessary for both creating moulds, which are physical, tangible objects used to injection mould the cases themselves, and then using those moulds to injection mould the finished cases.

WoD said:
hch said:
well, i really don't want to burst anyones bubble, but as i see it, the situation is this: after about half a year of case design, they ultimately decided to give up and hand it over to a chinese factory that they only can contact via the help of google translated emails.

What the hell are you talking about? The case design was finished ages ago, the chinese factory is necessary for both creating moulds, which are physical, tangible objects used to injection mould the cases themselves, and then using those moulds to injection mould the finished cases.

you don't seem to be up to date. the cases from the moulds based on the 'case design that was finished ages ago' did not fit and the dev team handed over the redesign to the factory.

hch said:
my money is in this and i won't even ask for a refund if the whole thing should go own the drain.

Yikes, really? Don't say that too loud, I am pretty sure I speak for most folks that would say they are going to want their money back if this thing dies... It would be like paying for an expensive dinner after the waiter dumps my meal on my head and doesn't bring anything else. :)

hch said:
WoD said:
hch said:

you don't seem to be up to date. the cases from the moulds based on the 'case design that was finished ages ago' did not fit and the dev team handed over the redesign to the factory.
I'm sorry, you don't seem to be up to date. Some moulds were spitting out bad pieces. They needed to fix the problem. Where are you getting "redesign the case" from?

I hope to god they are not readjusting the design...

Okay, don't flame me... I know they wouldn't do that, but to revel in that thought frightens me. :unsure:

Back