Dat Price Tag Tho

@Shenmue: Factor in the early investment in design of PCB and getting prototypes, redesign (because of repositioning of components that interface to the outside of the board).

Then phonebills, and time for getting prices, and contacts (airplane flight to Greece and back). Some P.R. along the way (doesnt need to be expensive, but you need to be in conventions and meetings with potential customers).... and the 50 extra actually seems like very little... ah... spare some change? I'm saving up for a Pyra...

I think the price should start high, and gradually decrease over time until everyone has one. :)

That's just common sense, isn't it?

I think the price should start high, and gradually decrease over time until everyone has one. :)

That's just common sense, isn't it?
I've made the suggestion before that ED should sell the first batch via an auction process to maximize initial sales prices.

I could see doing the first batch of 100 or so by letting everyone publicly bid for position in the queue then ship the devices to them at the minimum price for entry into the queue.

For example, if the quantity were 5 instead of 100...

1. Joe $2000

2. Jamie $1600

3. Jeff $1200

4. Jack $1000

5. Jorge $900

6. Fred $850

The top N=5 would all get a unit at $900 each. Fred would be left out.

No winning bidder actually pays more than anyone else in the batch, but the minimum batch price reflects what those first 100 (or whatever) are really worth.

The trouble I see with that model, is that some might be tempted to bid above their means to get into the queue, figuring that the actual end price wouldn't be that high. If enough people do that the price could get artificially inflated above what anyone is actually willing to pay.

- Neelix

Erm... no, that would make no difference whatsoever to the issue I highlighted.

The only way I could see such a system working is if the bidders were under the impression they would have to pay the full amount of their bid, regardless of what anyone else bid and the "All winning bidders pay the same" aspect was completely withheld until after the auction was completed.

- Neelix

Erm... no, that would make no difference whatsoever to the issue I highlighted.

The only way I could see such a system working is if the bidders were under the impression they would have to pay the full amount of their bid, regardless of what anyone else bid and the "All winning bidders pay the same" aspect was completely withheld until after the auction was completed.

- Neelix
You could take the median of the top-2K bids instead of the minimum of the top-K bids. That way it is perhaps clearer that each bid has an influence on the actual price.

Anyway, if selling only starts when they can be produced in big quantities, I don't really see a need to sell the first ones at a higher price -- we don't want to artificially postpone shipping the rest of them, do we?

Hi, I'm new to the community.

First I should tell you that I really love technology, I've bought multiple ARM mini computers, currently got one running a homeserver and one running as HTPC, both on linux.

When I saw the Pyra project, I was amazed, the product seems like it'll be truly amazing, good linux support, and a lot of ports, a hacker's dream, the youtube video showing 2 PS1 emulators, battle for wesnoth, gimp and iceweasel got me crazy.

But, what I don't understand is the projected (at least on this thread) price. If this is actually going to be up to USD800, it doesn't seem like a good idea, because while the form factor (and screen resolution) is totally different, anyone can buy a decent laptop (Core2duo and up, maybe an APU), which is way more powerful (both cpu and gpu) and expandable (ssd? pci-e? removable ram?) than this device.

Maybe I'm venting because I'm from argentina and currently 1USD=10.5ARS so it won't be possible for me to buy one pyra unless they are below USD400 (which is an about an entire 9-hour/day job's pay in a month)

$500 dollars....?? I hope that is a joke.  Unless it brings something to the table other devices don't, at that price, it will not be successful. A Keyboard and Linux is not it either. How many Pandora's have been sold? There are devices coming out that are taking out some of the Pandora's consumer base.  I am a prime example.  I had the Pandora and thought the world of it.  I loved keyboard and the full Linux experience, but once I read about the Nvidia Shield I realized how much I didn't really need the keyboard and I didn't always use the full desktop so Android was comparable to the experience of the launcher (sorry the name eludes me).  The Nvidia Shield is a ton faster than the Pandora and based of the estimated specs of the Pyra the Shield is faster than even it.  Of course I know speed is not everything and a device is only as good as the software which is why the Pandora actually sells because it has an excellent community.  I don't think that will be enough this time. The reasons are simple

1. Many things available on the Pandora are available on Android and with the Shield most of the time they are better. Example N64 Emulation is better on the Shield. So unless the Pyra gets a ton of exclusive content then the Shield/Archos Gamepad 2/JXD 7800B are comparable here.

2. When considering just gaming controls (overall) of the Shield to the Pandora the Shield is better once again (unless you compare just the D-Pad in which case the Shield gets owned by the Pandora)..  I read there is going to be a new analog nub/stick design in the Pyra that is way better than the Pandoras so that might end up being better over all over the Shield.

3. The biggest problem I think....the price.  Currently you can get a Nvidia Shield for $249 dollars and if you don't care about size at all then you can get a JXD 7800B for just $179.  It is going to be hard to sell a Pyra for 500+ (if that ends up being what it is) with these devices.

The only thing the Pyra/Pandora have going for it is the size, keyboard, full linux and a great community.   

ED's trying to keep the manufacturing costs down to 300-350 Euro as per a recent post of his - which is $412-$481

With that in mind, I think the Pyra will be around $650 - that's just a guess and a lot can change

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Many things available on the Pandora are available on Android and with the Shield most of the time they are better. Example N64 Emulation is better on the Shield. So unless the Pyra gets a ton of exclusive content then the Shield/Archos Gamepad 2/JXD 7800B are comparable here.

2. When considering just gaming controls (overall) of the Shield to the Pandora the Shield is better once again (unless you compare just the D-Pad in which case the Shield gets owned by the Pandora)..  I read there is going to be a new analog nub/stick design in the Pyra that is way better than the Pandoras so that might end up being better over all over the Shield.

3. The biggest problem I think....the price.  Currently you can get a Nvidia Shield for $249 dollars and if you don't care about size at all then you can get a JXD 7800B for just $179.  It is going to be hard to sell a Pyra for 500+ (if that ends up being what it is) with these devices.

The only thing the Pyra/Pandora have going for it is the size, keyboard, full linux and a great community.   
1. Considering Pandora is like 6 years old, no they are not. I mean, not without pointlessness

2. Try to carry the Shield in your pocket. 

3. SOC isn't even final and Pyra is looking to have even more features than the Shield and JXD uses the most questionable SOC, RockChip.

You forgot: Battery life, 3G upgradeable to 4G, Big memory, perfect controllers, fullsize usb, power (perfect N64, DS, PSP, Dreamcast...), full open

and.... price (compared to a smartphone, Pyra will be much better in all its aspects and cheaper/same price).

How many Pandora's have been sold?
Soon all of them. The parts are out of production. Tell me about another electronic device that sells well longer than its parts are available.

500$ would be a good price for all those features. You obviously never made a high quality product in small quantitites, I do.

Regarding all the free software you get for it, it's even a great price.

I say pandora's super worth the investment if you have the time and energy for it. It's not like ibricks or androol on what you swap fingers around and you can get all the mediocre entertainment you need. Pandora's affection is rather exquisite. I just can't get my life going without it. 

Sure, if ED just buy a bunch of brandless Chinese tablets, attach keyboards to those and name them "Dragonbox potato salad", he can probably cut the price to $300. That simply does not offer what Pandora has. If I can make calls with Pyra, I will throw away all my electronics. Doing things on pandora is just more fun than wasting time on an ipad. 

It's a neat thing to have, but it's not for everyone. If you don't go to the president's birthday party, then you don't need to have a super expensive diamond encrusted mechanical wrist watch. What I'm saying is buying electronics you would not live without is a waste of time and money. 

There'll always be users who will say it will fail if it will be sold for more then USD 200.

I really don't care about that, seriously.

I can understand them, they only want to play some games - and cheaper devices are available.

Price is always an issue here.

Usually, there are two kinds of people (based on experience from FOSDEM, GamesCom, etc.)

When you explain the system and what it can do, they either say "500 EUR for a game console? You must be crazy!" or "Wow, that's a decent price for all those features!"

Only people who care about the full desktop PC, the openness, the gaming controls, AND the form factor at the same time will find the price decent.

Otherwise they'll always find a system that might be better for them (i.e. Core2Duo Laptops or the Shield - both can do similar things the Pandora can do, but they are not really pocketable).

So yes, our customer group is limited, but still large enough to keep it alive :)

I know I can trust ED to stay level headed, life must been tough for you in the past few weeks I guess. I can feel you are under some serious stress. 

I hope you can get the prototype out quickly so that you can start the fundraiser, I and many others will support you on day 1 without a second thought. 

BTW, ED, I noticed you were using the phrase "AND the form factor", does that mean Pyra will come in pink and have rainbow coloured LED backlit keyboard?  :wub:  

Back