Finding a proper name and logo :)

Another flaming PYRA ambigram. I made this one on the plane from Cape Town back to Brussels. Holiday is over now, we just arrived back home. Our central heating has broken while we were away. Will have to call someone to repair it tomorrow. Ugh.

pyralogo9h-normal.png

Another flaming PYRA ambigram. I made this one on the plane from Cape Town back to Brussels. Holiday is over now, we just arrived back home. Our central heating has broken while we were away. Will have to call someone to repair it tomorrow. Ugh.

pyralogo9h-normal.png
That A is weired.

Why?

Looks like the hat of Skull kid to me:

SkullKid_Large.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The logo evolves, nice. Only the "flames" in the last pics should look more like flames, above it looks more than a crown.  Maybe more something like this, would also work in mono and relief, of course it should look better than my sketch, just imagine it looks good. :D

pyralogo9h-normaljrk57.png

^ Well I figure it's at least one thing the community can work on themselves.. 

Maybe, but this ain't a community of designers.

I mean no offense. As good as some of us can be at using image editors, I don't think we can produce professional looking results graphics-wise.

Most of the members of the community won't judge a book by its cover, but most of the people will, and if the Pyra brand identity is more appealing, hopefully it will attract more buyers which is good for everybody.

Another alternative would be making a contest aimed at professional designers, with the community voting for a favorite (ED making the final decision).

I mean no offense. As good as some of us can be at using image editors, I don't think we can produce professional looking results graphics-wise.

Most of the members of the community won't judge a book by its cover, but most of the people will, and if the Pyra brand identity is more appealing, hopefully it will attract more buyers which is good for everybody.

Another alternative would be making a contest aimed at professional designers, with the community voting for a favorite (ED making the final decision).
Did you even look at all the recent designs before making this assessment? Plus, I'm pretty sure they will want money for their design.

Well they're actually a bit of people on this forum that have design skills. A few graphical designers, a bit are game designers which some level of knowledge of what looks good is needed I suppose.

You're selling some of the designs people made here short.. some are rather brilliant.

Most of the members of the community won't judge a book by its cover, but most of the people will, and if the Pyra brand identity is more appealing, hopefully it will attract more buyers which is good for everybody.   Another alternative would be making a contest aimed at professional designers, with the community voting for a favorite (ED making the final decision).

You don't need to be a professional designer to know what looks good.. It's why eventually the top contenders will get a vote.. I personally love the idea that the logo will be chosen from a community member's design.

I'm not sure what the semi-regular hexagon adds - the focus should be on the flame imagery (if that's what we want), and the curves seem to jar a little against the sharp vertices of the hexagon.
(forgot to answer this) It's an implied isometric box. The logo has a "the fire in the box" interpretation. I got rid of the other box-defining features in the earlier versions.

Whats with all the flames an ambigrams? :wacko:  IMO should be something simple. Scalable. Should be able to envision both on a gaming device and a professional one. And on a business card.

99 design might be something to look into. Crowd sourced logo and graphic design:

http://99designs.ca/how-it-works

You essentially pick one of the pricing packages and they create a contest for you where the best design gets the prize (prize being whatever you paid minus their cut.) Lots of really great designers on here, professional quality.

Did you even look at all the recent designs before making this assessment? Plus, I'm pretty sure they will want money for their design.
Yes, I did.

Maybe, but I don't think Global Components is working for free, so just as money is being invested to actually make the Pyra, putting money for the branding, packaging design and so on can be considered and investment.

You do realize that the Pandora logo was designed by someone from the community?

-God Ginrai
Yes. While I think it's not bad at all, I can't think of it as the best logo design ever made.

1.- Well they're actually a bit of people on this forum that have design skills. A few graphical designers, a bit are game designers which some level of knowledge of what looks good is needed I suppose.

2.- You're selling some of the designs people made here short.. some are rather brilliant.

3.- You don't need to be a professional designer to know what looks good.. It's why eventually the top contenders will get a vote.. I personally love the idea that the logo will be chosen from a community member's design.
1. I never said there was none. Did I? I just said this community ain't full of them.

2. The problem here is subjectiveness. Neither I nor you can say the other is wrong. While I do like some of the logos posted here, I haven't found anything I would consider brilliant design-wise to be honest. That's just my opinion.

3. Again, "what looks good" is subjective. And saying so sort of undervalues the graphic designers' job.

I think it's my fault that I didn't explain myself correctly. (Or maybe I didn't thought well before writing my initial post). I do agree that it's a nice detail that everything comes from the community. Yet, I remember how most people here loved the packaging design ekianjo got done for his shop in Japan. Thus, I can't stop thinking "what if" the Pandora logo and brand identity had such expertise behind it.

Now, I do agree that taking this "job" to some design shop outside the community doesn't fits with the project ideals. So, why not trying to get some designers interested in making some proposals through a contest, in the same fashion as with coding competitions. I mean, bringing some ideas and concepts from people outside the community can led to more interesting results.

You do realize that the Pandora logo was designed by someone from the community?

-God Ginrai
 Yes. While I think it's not bad at all, I can't think of it as the best logo design ever made.
There can only be one "best logo ever made". I hardly believe that even a hired professional will make that happen.

I think it's my fault that I didn't explain myself correctly. (Or maybe I didn't thought well before writing my initial post). I do agree that it's a nice detail that everything comes from the community. Yet, I remember how most people here loved the packaging design ekianjo got done for his shop in Japan. Thus, I can't stop thinking "what if" the Pandora logo and brand identity had such expertise behind it.
Yes, the box design made by... traylorpark. A member of this community.

-God Ginrai

...That box is awesome too :)

I too think it could get a bit costly if a bunch of graphic designers were to all come up with ideas for us/ED to pick. I mean graphic designers outside of the community, who'd most certainly expect payment for their submitted efforts.

Plus I also like the idea of the logo coming from the community.

Gadgetoid's most recent one ... up a few posts there ... that's very nice looking.

To me that could easily be to the standard expected from a professional graphic designer anyway, and there have been a few others, DFP's designs for example recently.

I personally think we'll have a good logo from the community suggestions, then once ED has chosen, then it goes off to the professional graphic designer to add polish, make it in good resolution and all the necessary formats etc.

If someone in the community can do that too, like traylorpark as I'm guessing he is a designer by trade, all the better

...That box is awesome too :)

I too think it could get a bit costly if a bunch of graphic designers were to all come up with ideas for us/ED to pick. I mean graphic designers outside of the community, who'd most certainly expect payment for their submitted efforts.

Plus I also like the idea of the logo coming from the community.

Gadgetoid's most recent one ... up a few posts there ... that's very nice looking.

To me that could easily be to the standard expected from a professional graphic designer anyway, and there have been a few others, DFP's designs for example recently.

I personally think we'll have a good logo from the community suggestions, then once ED has chosen, then it goes off to the professional graphic designer to add polish, make it in good resolution and all the necessary formats etc.

If someone in the community can do that too, like traylorpark as I'm guessing he is a designer by trade, all the better
As mentioned in my post above:

http://99designs.ca/how-it-works

Can get hundreds of design submissions for a low price. And choose the best one.

That site looks good, a good idea too, but still personally I like the idea of the logo being thought up by the community.

You wouldn't get hundreds of designs to choose from though, have you seen the pricing?

It's £199 for around 30 designs to choose from -- to -- £799 for around 60 designs.

I'd suspect the £799 pack is a bit too expensive really, and bet the options submitted wouldn't be that much [if at all] better ideas than some have come up with here already ...for free :)

Those are Canadian dollars. I was reading through the testimonials and people are getting lots of designs. 393 for the 499 price point. 104 for the 299. Not to downplay the efforts made here but, take a look at some of the examples in the testimonials. They are much higher quality and look a lot more professional than what's in this thread. I feel the Pyra is such a good device that it deserves some professional attention to the branding and design. Also adds an air of professionalism that people will probably want to see after what happened with the pandora.

Back