Full Refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asking what you gained by instigating things on the forum. You got what you wanted, and you're obviously not part of the community, so you can stop making noise now.

As I read things, it makes me wonder how many people here thought they were preordering A Sony PSP2 and how many people knew what it was they were doing.

One point of note is that Open Pandora is not an international conglomerate. Nor are they an international bank. Nor could they control what the bank they were using initially had in regards to income influx policies.

It is an incontinence nothing else. Get past puberty, grow a set, and replace your order. You will not have lost any money at all. +- a few cents big deal.

If you are pissed about how much you got back on your refund and you dont understand that if you reorder right away you wont loose anything from your original order, you are the one being an ignorant ass.

If you want to keep your refund and not reorder, that is your choice. The bank refunded you the amount of currency that was paid to them from whatever type of institution you paid with. If anyone is to blame for you not getting the right amount of money back it is the, VISA, AMEX, Mastercard, whatever that you used.

Open pandora and the group behind the name are community driven console makers, not money market currency exchange traders.

Squidge said:
dadioflex said:
But what if you've no intention of re-ordering?

Then your going to lose money due to the change of conversion rates. Not really anything you or OpenPandora can do about it.
That's incorrect. There is something OP can do about it, they simply choose not to. They are a business and they chose their bank. We sent the money where THEY told is to. The continued blowing off of people and telling them they must deal with the loss of money is unprofessional.

The preorder never mentioned that you may "have to pay more" or "lose money if you cancel." Had it said that, the risk would be on the buyer. However, it should otherwise be on the seller.

It's just life that it is what it is. But for the love of God, stop making excuses for it.

C B Felterbush said:
If you are pissed about how much you got back on your refund and you dont understand that if you reorder right away you wont loose anything from your original order, you are the one being an ignorant ass.

This isn't wholly accurate. Some people got refunds without emails. Some people got emails without refunds. Some people haven't received anything yet (but likely will). For example, I have not received an email or a refund but someone in my locale ordered exactly like I did. They have an email and no refund. So I have no idea whether I am or am not getting a refund. Also, when I reorder, if I have to, I will have to pay a transaction fee AGAIN for the conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chairman_Now said:
ShyGuy said:
You're an ass. What do you gain out of this? Get a chargeback yourself and let other people make their own decisions. Many of us are still very much looking forward to our Pandoras.
What did I gain? I got my FULL refund. This is as much satisfaction as I expect to get.

My bank refunded my full charged amount. This, regrettably, cost someone else 47 GBP.

Again, I suggest that others follow this lead. If you don't mind eating a loss, then go for it. I'm not so charitable.

Fair enough, you're not a supporter of this project or the community but just a buyer that got interested after the hype a few days preceeding the pre-orders.

Now can we also suggest for fairness that, for all people doing that and then trying to re-order, the pandora team charges them the same initial FULL amount in their currencies as they were charged in the first place ?

Chairman_Now said:
ShyGuy said:
You're an ass. What do you gain out of this? Get a chargeback yourself and let other people make their own decisions. Many of us are still very much looking forward to our Pandoras.
What did I gain? I got my FULL refund. This is as much satisfaction as I expect to get.

My bank refunded my full charged amount. This, regrettably, cost someone else 47 GBP.

Again, I suggest that others follow this lead. If you don't mind eating a loss, then go for it. I'm not so charitable.

And in your next credit card statement, when the overseas account scoffs at the attempt to set the currency exchange rate, you'll see an account adjustment by the amount of the currency exchange rate in effect at the time of chargeback.

C B Felterbush said:
It is an incontinence nothing else. Get past puberty, grow a set, and replace your order. You will not have lost any money at all. +- a few cents big deal.

Umm, I paid an additional roughly $43 beyond what the conversion is at present, plus a $10.35 conversion fee. And when I reorder I'll be paying an additional $10.35 conversion fee and presumably the same amount as before back. Making this a 365.65 versus 320.65 cost. And if I were to take the refund matter, I'd be losing 53.35, if I'm understanding things correctly. I think that's quite reasonable to be upset about.

In other words, $10.35 != a few cents.
If you want to keep your refund and not reorder, that is your choice. The bank refunded you the amount of currency that was paid to them from whatever type of institution you paid with. If anyone is to blame for you not getting the right amount of money back it is the, VISA, AMEX, Mastercard, whatever that you used.

Open pandora and the group behind the name are community driven console makers, not money market currency exchange traders.
While that is true, those of us in the US and abroad don't have access to any of the UK's measures for redress against the bank's incompetence and as such we'll have to either pay the additional fees or we'll have to take a sizable hit in terms of not getting all of the money back that we paid. That again is something which is quite reasonable to be upset about.

I'm not saying that this is really all Craig's fault or the devs in general, but I do still think that suggesting that it's unreasonable to be upset is a bit unreasonable. Perhaps you ought to be growing up.

hedwards said:
And when I reorder I'll be paying an additional $10.35 conversion fee and presumably the same amount as before back. Making this a 365.65 versus 320.65 cost. And if I were to take the refund matter, I'd be losing 53.35,
No, that is incorrect, you'd only pay back the currency exchange rate corrected amount.
If you order by CC, you'll pay an extra $10.35 conversion fee.
If you take the refund, you'll lose the difference between the original cost and the current cost at then current exchange rates.
In my situation, I paid $350 originally, and did a bank transfer of $291 to reorder.
I did lose the bank wire transfer fee, but I'm happy to be all sorted out.

i'm back with more eyebrow raising questions (I cant believe I let this slip through before) Okay everybody who is paying attention. The common theme I have seen here in those promoting "patience" is this: "Dont worry, you will only have to pay what you were refunded......Lets think about this for a moment because there are 2 issues here that make this thing sem even more well you know where Im going with this...Fact 1. SUPPOSEDLY the "refunds" (and I use that term sparingly, because its not really that) are being done by some bank yadda yadda yadda, if this fact were true Craig and Co would not know how much each person is refunded nor how much they should be paying. Fact 2. If the you pay what you were refunded story is hold true, this means the price of the freaking Pandora changes everyday and dependant on where you live on this earth. this is simply ridiculous guys and gals point blank.Ive also noticed contradictory information in these threads so what is it folks, are these refunds being done by a bank or by somebody else, Not sure why a bank would have to do them 1 by 1. Something is very fishy here!!!!! To have a device that was planned for delivery um like yesterday, and then to see renders for new case designs totally floors me. nyone else want to comment on my 2 points though? Open your brains people

Man, I am pretty glad that I didn't order for this "first batch". Not only would I have been disappointed (Yeah, November heh), and I would've lost money in the end as well. For what? A device that hasn't even been assembled yet.

I hate to say it, but you would be crazy to order without actually seeing the device (Assembled completely) being used. If there are this many problems with the Pandora just financially, who knows what kind of assembly, and hardware problems will arise? I'll let the first batch guinea pigs eat up and I'll get the prepared meal rather than the sloppy firsts.

hedwerds: like j.pickens said, you will only be out $10.35 extra. And remember, the second batch will cost $9 more (for the extra RAM), so it's really not much difference.

zeropro: I think what you're talking about only holds true when sending a bank transfer straight away (ie that what you are refunded is what you pay again). It may be different with the CC orders, but currencies have been pretty stable lately so it wouldn't change much.

As to the Chairman et al: If I go and buy something from any company overseas and pay in that country's currency, if I get a refund, I will get refunded in the same currency. If I win or lose on exchange rates, so be it. That's how it works. Sure, I *could* do a chargeback, but it hardly seems fair when I've already been given/promised a full refund.

The fact remains, everyone who ordered a Pandora will still get a Pandora but *may* have to pay an extra few dollars, however will get double the RAM in return. Y'know, when you boil it down to that, the actual pragmatic effect, it doesn't sound too bad, eh?

Asmo said:
VRAndy said:
How come some people thought they were paying in local currency?

The order screen I got was very clearly in pounds.
When you chose your part of the world you were directed to your target currency; in my case Euro - and the prices were set in a Euro amount, not realtime calculated against Sterling. The Pandora was set at E249 for example. Here's a snapshot of the order page the day it went up:

eurorderhn3.th.jpg

So my purchase appeared to be in Euro, but the refund was Sterling (GBP) converted back to Euro resulting in a loss.

I used to work for a firm doing mail order and import/export and we always maintained bank accounts in Sterling and US Dollar, so we could quote flat prices for those regions regardless of currency variations. When rates were favourable we would then shift the bulk of those balances to the account in our local currency. Any refunds we did were in the original currency received and therefore an identical amount regardless of any shift in exchange rates.

for those in euroland if you bank transfer to german shop you only make about 12-13 euro loss since the euro has gotten stronger against pound since first pre-order

Creature XL said:
complaining in the forum about fucking $50 which you can easily get rid of if you do it like Mali (reorder and then eBay).
Just to clarify. I won't sell it on eBay, but it would be a farsighted solution for people who essentially don't want to re-order but have the patience ;)

zeropro said:
i'm back with more eyebrow raising questions (I cant believe I let this slip through before) Okay everybody who is paying attention. The common theme I have seen here in those promoting "patience" is this: "Dont worry, you will only have to pay what you were refunded......Lets think about this for a moment because there are 2 issues here that make this thing sem even more well you know where Im going with this...Fact 1. SUPPOSEDLY the "refunds" (and I use that term sparingly, because its not really that) are being done by some bank yadda yadda yadda, if this fact were true Craig and Co would not know how much each person is refunded nor how much they should be paying. Fact 2. If the you pay what you were refunded story is hold true, this means the price of the freaking Pandora changes everyday and dependant on where you live on this earth. this is simply ridiculous guys and gals point blank.Ive also noticed contradictory information in these threads so what is it folks, are these refunds being done by a bank or by somebody else, Not sure why a bank would have to do them 1 by 1. Something is very fishy here!!!!! To have a device that was planned for delivery um like yesterday, and then to see renders for new case designs totally floors me. nyone else want to comment on my 2 points though? Open your brains people
Oh my god, please try to follow me on this. You are paying 199 GBP. BRITISH POUNDS. NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE. It converts differently in various currencies around the world. If 199 GBP converts to $10, or 200 Euros, it doesn't matter, because it's all being converted to POUNDS. THE SAME AMOUNT IN POUNDS, NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE. Craig is being paid in POUNDS, so he doesn't care where you live. If you're refunded $10 (if that's what 199 GBP equals at the time of refund), then you can reorder for the same amount, as you will be charged 199 GBP (10 UNITED STATES DOLLARS). Is it clear now?

Creature XL said:
You americans make me so sick. Messing up the whole world with your stupid wars and such BS and then complaining in the forum about fucking $50 which you can easily get rid of if you do it like Mali (reorder and then eBay).

Just to let you ignorant american know, the crisis fucks up Germany and the rest of Europe aswell and here people are getting unemplyoed too, like in the US.
Take it easy, buddy. Not every American is a whiny asshole who doesn't understand the complicated process of international refunds.

Creature XL said:
You americans make me so sick. Messing up the whole world with your stupid wars and such BS and then complaining in the forum about fucking $50 which you can easily get rid of if you do it like Mali (reorder and then eBay).

Just to let you ignorant american know, the crisis fucks up Germany and the rest of Europe aswell and here people are getting unemplyoed too, like in the US.

I'm European and I think that you ought to be banned from these boards.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Take it easy, buddy. Not every American is a whiny asshole who doesn't understand the complicated process of international refunds.
Was not meant towards EVERY American.

In the end, i deleted the post. its just that it makes me REALLY angry when people who have got the positive side for YEARS now complain when they ONE TIME experince teh negative side.

one thing for americans who never were in Europe. Some years ago a friend of mine went on an exchange visite to the USA. He bought around 100 music CDs there for himself and us. Why? Because these CDs were half the price you pay in Germany! So, if HE (the one complaining bout $50) has bought 5 CDs in his life he has made more profite of living in the US, as he now makes a loss for bank transfers costs or what ever. You see the point?
Feel lucky that MOST of the electronic devices cost around 33% less in america then in Germany and PLEASE PLEASE calm down (as I try to do) and cope with the fact.

We had this discussion months ago. BTW

Paid $388.73 CAD
Refunded $355.98.
Approximate repurchase charge: 197.77 GBP = $371.92 CAD.

Not as bad a hit as some, but I definitely wish the Pandora volunteer team had had a good business / finance person. I was one of several co-founders of an engineering services startup a couple of years ago - which was successfully sold to Celestica - and I can say without prejudice that engineers and developers (usually) do not know how to deal with banks, lines of credit, factoring, and supply chain.

After this preorder period is over, apart from things being a bit smoother in general, they should have the funds to hire someone like that for the future. There's every chance the Pandora will be huge once people start seeing it in the flesh.

Creature XL said:
In the end, i deleted the post. its just that it makes me REALLY angry when people who have got the positive side for YEARS now complain when they ONE TIME experince teh negative side.
I do feel fortunate to be an American and to have the advantages that we have. I've never lived in any other country, though, so I really have no basis of comparison. I'm not a big fan of my government but that's a totally different story all together.

Creature XL said:
one thing for americans who never were in Europe. Some years ago a friend of mine went on an exchange visite to the USA. He bought around 100 music CDs there for himself and us. Why? Because these CDs were half the price you pay in Germany! So, if HE (the one complaining bout $50) has bought 5 CDs in his life he has made more profite of living in the US, as he now makes a loss for bank transfers costs or what ever. You see the point?
Feel lucky that MOST of the electronic devices cost around 33% less in america then in Germany and PLEASE PLEASE calm down (as I try to do) and cope with the fact.
I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything, besides don't go to Germany to shop maybe. I've heard Brazil is a really bad place to buy electronics as well. It's actually something like a 200% mark up on most things. PS3 cost over $1000 (US) there. That's crazy!

Um yeah, I'm still missing the point. Here's mine though. You go to a store and buy, say a PSP (just pulled that off the top of my head), and you get home and eagerly turn it on (after charging it, of course) and the stupid thing won't boot up. Crap, it's a brick. You take it back to the store and they hand you $50 less than what you paid for it. You're not going to say something? No complaints at all? You must be a really nice guy. I consider myself to be overly nice most of the time and I'm complaining.

Now I know that you or someone will say that they are giving me back what I paid and maybe on their end it might look like it but the fact of the matter is that I have $50 less in my hand and I shouldn't. I really shouldn't have to hear "tough, deal with it" although this came from Chip so I can't say that I was shocked. If I were an outside customer though, I'd be furious if I came here looking for answers and got that response. I don't know. Maybe things are different here in America. Here, the seller is responsible if the product is damaged, or worse, nonexistent. If you buy something at a retail store here and then the price drops a couple of days later, if you call them out on it, they have to refund you the difference. That's the kind of service that we are privileged to.

I don't really care, to be perfectly honest, if it costs them the $50 instead of me. They charged me money for something that was, according to them, supposed to be manufactured one week after the preorder deadline. They had to know that that wasn't at all possible since they don't even have all of the parts even as we speak. Then I get shorted because of the current exchange rates and my only other option is to wire transfer the money (basically give them cash) and risk losing all of the money if this whole thing turns out to be a scam or if the project fails in any way. I'm honestly surprised that everyone is so calm and cool about this whole thing. You brits are far more understanding than us yanks, I'll give you that.

Oh by the way, if I get my full refund then I have no problem paying the same amount if/when I order from the second batch. Fair is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back