Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 10:21 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 7 2007 at 01:47 AM said:
naples39 posted on Feb 7 2007 at 02:18 AM said:
Fullspeed as in 60fps? :eek:
Impressive.

Not yet. It's fullspeed with FS 1-2, but that's fine for an RPG :)
And that's without the DynaRec, which can speed up up until three times...

I wonder if it will be possible to get it running as smooth as the PSP version? That is full speed with no FS. Wouldn't the similar ARM CPU architecture help it out or is that irrelevant? Maybe some ASM is needed? What ever happened to Exophase? Is he helping with it (he wrote the original)?

I have an old PC I could give but it is only 500 MHz :(

But doesn't the blurriness of the PSP's screen only give the illusion of smoothness? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 800mhz Pentium 3 CPU. If anyone has a Slot 1 to Socket 370 converter, he could use that... Still slow, but better. Actually I think I have a Slot 1 Pentium 3, but I don't know how fast.

brilliant programmers do not have a decent PC to work with emu's while thousands of morons aren;t using their PC's for more than a mp3 playing and watching youtube.... sad

IMHO Gamepark should invest in anyone who is a real supporter of gp2x scene. craigx, davec, evildragon,notaz, exophase and many many others who are working on emu's and making miracles with that gp2x hardware should AT LEAST have decent pc financed, free trips to korea and bunch of sweet korean whores as a bonus ;)
Why? Because in fact THEY are selling gp2x and because of THEM gp2x is making money..

Sorry for OT

I, personally, like the older systems, but I'm 27. Someone closer to 18 would probably like the PSP better.

Meh, not really. My friend has a PSP, and I have a GP2X, but all the games we play are mostly on the Genesis, SNES, and NES 'systems'. The only reason my friend used the PSX emulator was to play Castlevania: SotN. Probably because ISOs take up too much space, even compressed, compared to a ROM from even the Neo-Geo in some cases. (like, not Ridge Racer :) )

I, myself, am more of a SNES/NES fan. But, fullspeed 60fps Genesis at 200mhz has drawn me to the "dark side", so to speak. :lol: I really wonder if the SONY software people are actually capable of making a better PSX emulator than the community is...? I've always wondered what they did to make that emulator so fast. Or, if it was really all that fast to begin with. (?)

I don't know, though. People around my age (and, obviously, around where I live) barely know the Atari VCS, but most have fond memorie of playing a(n) NES, SNES, or Genesis. But, then again, someone --when we were talking about PSP homebrew-ifying-- asked if we could have "... XBOX, or PS2 emulators..." on it. :rolleyes:

Coming from you, Squidge, that post is likely to cause mass hysteria on these boards...

lubidog posted on Feb 8 2007 at 01:36 PM said:
Coming from you, Squidge, that post is likely to cause mass hysteria on these boards...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! HYSTERICS, HISTRIONICS, HISTORIANS, HYSTEREO!!!!

*whew*

That was a lot of work for an old man. I need a sit down now.

Cervantes, I like your avatar film. Kopps!

Squidge posted on Feb 8 2007 at 12:28 PM said:
Hmmm, I have a cunning plan... Need to investigate...

best impression of the height of beatlemainia.....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

lubidog posted on Feb 8 2007 at 12:36 PM said:

Oops, sorry ;)

I posted in another thread what it was anyway. Nothing major.

rememberthe8bit posted on Feb 8 2007 at 04:12 AM said:
I really wonder if the SONY software people are actually capable of making a better PSX emulator than the community is...? I've always wondered what they did to make that emulator so fast.

It's fast because it's the emulator Sony intended to play the games that people downloaded from the PS3 online thing. I actually wonder if the emulator is based on an open-source one and is actually a GPL violation (on Sony's part), but I don't have a way to prove that one way or the other for now... and I'm really not interested enough in the idea to acquire a PSP.

is it a emulator ???
i tought it was an abstraction layer like wine on linux = no cpu/gpu emulation just libs who make ps1 elfs think it,s running on the ps1 xmb

mdinire posted on Feb 8 2007 at 07:16 PM said:
imagine if the gp2x was at 300mhz-333mhz default and psp was 200mhz-280mhz... :eek:
What would that change? The PSP runs at 222MHz by default and most people run their GP2x higher than that.

Which is better clock for clock, MIPS or ARM9?

evol posted on Feb 8 2007 at 05:22 PM said:
is it a emulator ???
i tought it was an abstraction layer like wine on linux = no cpu/gpu emulation just libs who make ps1 elfs think it,s running on the ps1 xmb

I don't think so... The PSP has a different CPU than the PSX does, so it couldn't work in the same way that Wine does.

Anhaedra posted on Feb 9 2007 at 06:35 AM said:
Which is better clock for clock at MIPS or ARM9?

evol posted on Feb 8 2007 at 05:22 PM said:
is it a emulator ???

I don't think so... The PSP has a different CPU than the PSX does, so it couldn't work in the same way that Wine does.
okey but i tought that the mips r4000 and the r3000a were binary compatible ? http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/hardware/processors.php#r4000

maybe im wrong but sony seems to always make design choices that are beneficial for backward compability

Back