Gp32 Vs Psp

I think Gamepark should wait a while before releasing a new system until they can release it with a substantial power boost over the PSP and DS. Basically what I'm saying is wait until the thing's powerful enough for N64 emulation. :p

wow :eek: so many replies, thank you guys (&girls?)

hm probably going to go with the gp32 unlit (if i can get it cheap, i already have a blu one, but don't use it much for gaming purposes, can't see anything outside :( )

and the psp's screen is crap in sunlight, why do people even buy this **** :huh:
maybe because it's of the brand 'Sony' and it stands for 'quality' (look at the ps2 history :lol: ) okay it's pretty damn powerfull but they could have done something at the screen right? <_<

again thanks! :)

portable gaming systems should not be limited to the size of their screen, just because the PSP has a 4.1" screen doesn't mean that the Giz is crap. Portable systems are supposed to be portable. GBA has the same size screen and millions of people bought them, not because of the screen, but because of the games. The screen should not be an issue as long as the Giz has the games and apps.

i don't know...all that power and only 240x320 resolution? there is such a thing as too weak

Last edited by a moderator:

hm probably going to go with the gp32 unlit (if i can get it cheap, i already have a blu one, but don't use it much for gaming purposes, can't see anything outside :( )

and the psp's screen is crap in sunlight, why do people even buy this **** :huh:
maybe because it's of the brand 'Sony' and it stands for 'quality' (look at the ps2 history :lol: ) okay it's pretty damn powerfull but they could have done something at the screen right? <_<

The psp isn't crap in sunlight it is completely unuseable. It is backlit only and not transreflective like the DS etc is. It sure is purdy inside though.

portable gaming systems should not be limited to the size of their screen, just because the PSP has a 4.1" screen doesn't mean that the Giz is crap.  Portable systems are supposed to be portable.  GBA has the same size screen and millions of people bought them, not because of the screen, but because of the games.  The screen should not be an issue as long as the Giz has the games and apps.

i don't know...all that power and only 240x320 resolution? there is such a thing as too weak

I just look at my N-gage to remind me of portable gaming. The N-gage, which i absolutely love, i used to bash because of the size of the screen and all that, now that I actually own one, i can't believe that i ever talked bad about it. The screen is small, BUT IT'S A PHONE, and its pretty damn cool to have PS1 quality games on a phone. The games are not as shitty as people say if you keep into consideration that its primary function is a phone, but keep in mind i've only played 3 games, but the 3 i have are very fun and my N-Gage, since it is my phone, will always be with me so when i get bored I can just start playing, unlike my GP32 and PSP.

EDIT: should also note, the QD is small but even with my size fingers I can hit all the buttons very easy and it's very comfortable to hold and play.

NOKIA FANBOI :p

The GP32 is slowly becoming obsolete. It's a shame but it's true. It's not suprising though and it's had a damned good run.

Yes and no. I have tried emus on my PSP last night now that the swap is not needed. They are impressive for such early releases. I can still see myself using the GP32 for emus that run well on it though.

My observation:

PSP:

Good-

Bright screen with super contrast, rich colors.

Large capacity memory sticks.

fast CPU that can emulate things the GP32 can't like SNES and Neo Geo.

Large community means more stuff.

Good commercial games.

Bad-

16:9 aspect screen that is actually smaller in the vertical direction than the GP32, and smaller pixels making the actual game screen area smaller if at 1:1.
If made fullscreen you get scaling artifacts (blurring) and squashed image.

Severe ghosting (smearing) due to slow response LCD in some fast moving scrollers.

D-pad design not ideal for diagonals.

Shiny finish on one-piece front scratches easy. When the screen gets scratched you are stuck with it.

Cat and mouse game with Sony and forced FW upgrades.

GP32:

Good-

Mature emulators. Many are close to perfect, close enough to the point where many of the flaws are no big deal.

relatively large 4:3 screen with a resolution that matches many emulated systems very well resulting in a game screen area larger than PSP at 1:1.

Choice of screen types that are good for outdoor (NLU/FLU) or indoor (BLU) depending on preference.

Good ergonomics and good digital controls.

Open system, anyone can do anything, anytime.

Easy to mod (glass screens, paint, etc)

Bad-

Small memory card size means you have to have a few and swap between them occasionally.

CPU not fast enough, and not enough RAM for emus like SNES and Neo Geo.

Screen contrast/brightness (BLU) not as good as PSP.

Relatively small community.

Lack of commercial game support.

In the end I can still see a reason to have a GP32 but it all comes down to what features are important to you, and what flaws bother you more.

all i know, is if i had not bought my GP32 2 years ago, and was deciding to buy one now, i would have to pass in it for the PSP basically because the PSP scene is growing much larger and will be surpasing the GP32 probably within the next half a year.

The psp isn't crap in sunlight it is completely unuseable. It is backlit only and not transreflective like the DS etc is. It sure is purdy inside though.

Well sry for the bad language :unsure: .. i meant with crap it's unuseable.. just like my blu, so that's the best reason for me not to buy it, as i wouldn't play it that much inside.
Just can't see why people would buy it .. a handheld system should be designed for playing on the go. With 'on the go' i mean everywhere.. (don't care how good the screen is inside ;) )

I think Gamepark should wait a while before releasing a new system until they can release it with a substantial power boost over the PSP and DS. Basically what I'm saying is wait until the thing's powerful enough for N64 emulation. :p

Next you're gonna be saying it'll have a 3ghz Athlon 64 processor. :p

Hah, that´s right.
Many people seem not to realise that the N64 is actually much harder to emulate than the PS1. They seem to think that the PS1 had nicer gfx and is therefor harder to emulate... which is just wrong. A 64-bit CPU, however slower clocked, is rather complicated to emulate an a 32-bit system and requires much much faster hardware.
Plus the N64 is cartridge- based, that means the whole ROM must be in the RAM of the emulating device and since the emulation itself is very memory- hungry you need a really big amount of memory..

I could be wrong, but I read that most newer cartridge based systems do not map the entire memory of the cartridge to system address space, but act more like a ROM disk.

The NEO GEO CD system ran the same games (perhaps seriously re-jigged, I don't know) that the NEO GEO sytem had, and the CD system only had 8 Meg's of RAM, which is smaller than the largest cartridge...

EVERY cartridge based system has the whole ROM in its RAM, because the ROM (that means basically the cartridge itself) IS the biggest part of the console´s RAM.
The Neo Geo CD ROMs/ISO´s don´t match those of the NeoGeo console to 100%, they always wrote only a specified part of the CD/ROM into the allocated memory. That´s the difference.

Hah, that´s right.
Many people seem not to realise that the N64 is actually much harder to emulate than the PS1. They seem to think that the PS1 had nicer gfx and is therefor harder to emulate... which is just wrong. A 64-bit CPU, however slower clocked, is rather complicated to emulate an a 32-bit system and requires much much faster hardware.
Plus the N64 is cartridge- based, that means the whole ROM must be in the RAM of the emulating device and since the emulation itself is very memory- hungry you need a really big amount of memory..

There's no way I'm even going to attempt a techinical conversation here, but didn't the N64 have 32-bit CPU's? Does it make much difference when emulating?

Actually the N64 had 2 64 bit- processors... here are its basic specs:

CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining
Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)
RAM: 4MB (36Mb) upgradeable
Graphics: Pixel Drawing Processor (RDP) built into co-processor
Colors: 16.7 million (32,000 on screen)
Polygons: 150,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480 pixels
Sound: 16 to 24-channel 16-bit stereo (up to 100 PCM channels possible)

And please excuse if i´m too dumb for your supreme intellect. N64 emulation IS harder than PS1, maybe i´m not good at explaining why, but it´s a fact.

I think Gamepark should wait a while before releasing a new system until they can release it with a substantial power boost over the PSP and DS.  Basically what I'm saying is wait until the thing's powerful enough for N64 emulation.  :p

Next you're gonna be saying it'll have a 3ghz Athlon 64 processor. :p
Darn right that's what I'm saying!! :p

No, I realize that N64 is way more powerful than the PS1. But I'm talking waiting maybe two years before releasing another console. By then, there should be a substantially more powerful and substantially more affordable mobile processor that could be put in the new GP. It would still be very hard to get it running on the handheld (still not quite perfect on my 2ghz system), but I think it could be done.

alienwank is expensive stuff.
gaming laptops are anything but mobile :p

Back