Here Is What Will Be Happening.

Consequence9 said:
purplesky said:
Awakening said:
mali said:
Awakening, hot-linking MWeston's photobucket is not so good. The gap is there, because it's not screwed together.
Sorry about that, fixed.

If it's because it's not screwed together, the hinge crack is because of bad packaging (only samples) and the surface is only because it's not final plastic/finish then they look good enough.

BTW, are the shoulder buttons fixed?

The hinge crack is not down to bad packaging. The factory have made an irreversible mistake so when it's tighened up it cracks. It can't be fixed. You can only start again.
Did it take so long to get the 3rd revision pics up on photobucket because OP were shocked when they opened the package? Maybe.
Will you PLEASE stop spouting this bull-shit? The cases haven't even been screwed together, you clearly don't know what you're talking about & you're only inflaming the situation. Knock it off.

So what you saying is, once the cases are screwed together it could make the crack into a bigger crack totally splitting
lol

NO NOT Happy
also when i purchased the pandora, how long ago was that again
we were being told that the pandora was not going to be made by any chinese company because of the bad quality

when someone raised this, when the company was first discussed, apparently what was meant was the developers werent chinese, WTF
they even went in to discuss about bad quality being exactly this

dont ship (atleast until we find out about the plastic), also those people saying the factory wont be able produce any better quality
, and then some people are telling the late commers to shut-up you have no say

obviously dont realise, that if this is as good as the company is going to produce that means every pandora for all batches will be the same
(i cant see switching factories, unless a refund was done AHH)

id also want to see a fully assembled pandora, maybe it could then be hidden with a rubber skin, which could be sent out later, (although would the lid still close)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wootson said:
Hmmm, this is a bit of a letdown for me. To be honest I think these cases look worse than the second revision. If there is no mistake with the plastics that were used to make this case, then most surely they messed up the whole mold. And that, is the worse that could possibly happen at this very moment.

I expected a case that was a tad better than the previous one. That I would have excepted, but this is a bit "extreme". I still remember the nagging on these forums about GPH and how they handled things with the build quality, but this my friends is something far worse. Here we even see scratches and broken pieces...

Surely hope they send out the wrong case, or that OpenPandora is just pulling a humorous stunt here. When I look at the GP2X Wiz that is laying beside me then I must say: damn this device looks good compared to the Pandora! It's shiny and smudgy, but at least the build quality is pretty good, without any cracks and scratches.

Either way OpenPandora has no choice here. They need to trust the Chinese and just let them poop out a few hundred/thousand of these cases.

Agree with you entirely Wootson, the 3rd revision case is not in the same league as the Wiz case. The more I use my Wiz the more I think its a really nice bit of kit which has been very well put together. Shame to all the people who criticse Game Park Holdings!!

Oh man, I really hope this Chinese mold firm get their act together for you guys.buying this machine They are a bunch of jokers who are letting the project down badly at the moment. Its shocking...........

mali said:
Nova, better not hot-link MWestons photobucket. You could use links from here:
http://www.pandoratoday.de/

Fixed. Realised I had them hosted on openXile anyway. Doy!

Ok guys, if you bought a new DS, and you saw this.

21dj2ur.jpg

You would not be thinking it's new. No way.

emcp said:
So what you saying is, once the cases are screwed together it could make the crack into a bigger crack totally splitting
no, what I'm saying is that he is just making shit up, and even with the current issues it certainly wouldn't require 'starting over'

(naw)mcx said:
Ok guys, if you bought a new DS, and you saw this.

21dj2ur.jpg

You would not be thinking it's new. No way.

Speaking for myself, I'm operating under the assumption (perhaps incorrect) that this obvious marring is present only because this is a test case, and that mass production would avoid this degree of obvious imperfections. If not, however, I would very much agree...

I have just posted the following in the comment section in the photobucket (as an English-to-German Google translation:

"Please excuse my German, this is a google translation :)

The cases seem to be without the final finish. I bet that the actual production cases will be much better when they have the finish applied to them. From what little knowledge I have of manufacturing processes, after the mold injection each case will be put through a refinement process which normally consists of being shaken in a container which is full of fine gravel, sand or artificial stones to take out all the rough edges (like being sanded). This will improve the look dramatically. The cases in the photographs have clearly not gone through this process.

All it takes to confirm this would be a well worded e-mail by Fatih's Chinese speaking contact. If this process is confirmed I am 99% sure that the production cases will be worthy to ship and will look nothing like the ones in the photographs."

Consequence9 said:
emcp said:
no, what I'm saying is that he is just making shit up, and even with the current issues it certainly wouldn't require 'starting over'

Sorry, but you are wrong my friend. The crack is there because they have messed up the mould. Why can't you understand that?

purplesky said:
Consequence9 said:
emcp said:

Sorry, but you are wrong my friend. The crack is there because they have messed up the mould. Why can't you understand that?

It's only a possibility

Consequence9 said:
emcp said:

If the mold is damaged or broken, then yes, they will need to start over. This will probably take up to six months again (build mold, make prototypes, ship them, build units, and so on). And the Chinese are not going to do this for free, I guess.

Seriously, if this was my personal project, I would go in a plane tomorrow and see myself what happened (read: kick their asses, get the mold, and finish it in Europe or USA).

Unrealistic, I know, but I'm just saying it in a sarcastic way.

The team has received several test cases, and none of them have had that hinge defect. Until we see 10 in a row that has it, let's not be silly!

Chris

fusion_power said:
Of course, you should never pay BEFORE you get any Result ;)
At least not to pay the whole summ so if they mess it up, they don't get the rest of the money. If they don't follow the rules, you have every excuse not to do so too. ^^

Most of us have paid in full for our Pandoras :(

I would ove to see the board calm down a little. It's starting tog et a little heated and people are snapping where, IMHO, there's no need. There's only 2 opinions being called for - so YOU want a Rev 3 case, or not? Everything extra should be carefully, and ideally politely, considered before posting. IMHO ;)

chickendung said:
I don't think there is anything to worry about. I'll bet that the company decided to skip the refinement process(es) because they wanted to get the samples out as soon as possible. Maybe they didn't want to keep OP waiting for much longer.

Actually that's a good point. Could be communication issues again. Maybe when OP kept bugging them to get it out as quickly as possible, the factory took this as "skip all the little things which make it perfect and just ship them SOMETHING to keep them quiet"?

purplesky said:
Consequence9 said:
emcp said:

How can you possibly know that for sure? even if you were to have experience in this field there is no way of knowing for sure that that's the specific reason for the crack. You don't have any more information than anyone else here and yet you are stating things as if they are fact. We are all very frustrated & on edge here & saying stuff like 'it's completely messed up & they'll to have to start over' is only exacerbating things.

They should have them create 500 more cases to send out to people who will take the risk of a bad case, and if there good we wont have to worry about rev 4. It wouldn't be right to move on to Rev. 4 if these were just cheap samples.

Eek! Yikes! Watch out for those jerking knees, they're dangerous!

purplesky said:
It might simply be a case of missing releasing agent ;)

Back