How Green Will Be The Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.
A group that uses terror tactics that have at least once proven fatal , have ignored and rallied against genetic modification of vegetable crops even when those crops weren't from some baddy like Monsanto but actual dry-climate capable wheat and rice crops calling them "frankenfood"(whatever the heck that means) gives true environmental groups a bad name(real, non-fanatical groups like the David Suzuki Foundation suffer because of groups like Greenpeace). I don't them much credibility.

They do this every year too. Last year was something like "Apple Computers are the devil" and so forth(okay....that one's half true, but being green ain't part of it ;) ).

But I digress....

While 'green' is important, you can't ask someone like craigix to figure it out. It makes no sense. People like craigix don't own their own fabs. They get it outsourced and they have no means to travel the world on a mission of finding 'the' green company that makes all its plastics out of their own feces and the oil scraped off the seagulls during oilspills. It's unrealistic and the designer/merchant has little control/access to that information.

You want to rally against a company for not being 'green'? Rally against the fabricator.

If you know of a few fabs that are awful creatures who pollute the world like a bad Cap'n Planet villain and paint their plastics using the blood of the orphans they get to smelt the lead out of old chips, post them here. I'm pretty sure that'd at least be taken into consideration on current or future fab plans.

But asking "how green is Pandora' is something akin to asking "How green the is motherboard on the computer I'm using to write this right now?" I guarantee there's probably half a dozen or more companies responsible for each of those little components and you can pronounce maybe one of them.

Also to add to Chad's point about the battery: discharged lith-ion batteries are neutral. They may give some bugs a buzz, but the chemical in them is less likely to be as hazardous as the copper and plastic that surrounds it. So yeah, pretty green overall, considering :)

realyst said:
"How green the is motherboard on the computer I'm using to write this right now?"
In most cases, very green indeed :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't even read the original article, but I would bet that many times more desktop computers and CRT monitors are improperly disposed of than game consoles, and those are much worse in terms of toxins and heavy metals. I wish environmental groups would concentrate on educating people on how to properly dispose of everyday hazardous materials (paint, cleaners, CFLs, electronics, batteries and all the other things that many people just throw away), instead of fearmongering - it would be a lot better for the environment, and it would give them some credibility, I don't know why they can't see that they're shooting themselves in the foot with the continuous FUD.

edit: realyst, it says that a fire killed one person in that article, but nothing indicates that Greenpeace was responsible for the fire - the ramming incident that they were accused of causing did not kill anyone...

Tom` said:
edit: realyst, it says that a fire killed one person in that article, but nothing indicates that Greenpeace was responsible for the fire - the ramming incident that they were accused of causing did not kill anyone...
The fire was brought on by the impact; that was never in debate. What was was that Greenpeace claims the Whaler hit them, the Whaler claims the opposite.

Greenpeace has used that boat to ram whalers in the past. The Whalers had video. I actually trust the Whalers on this one, even though I myself am anti-whaling in sentiment.

But ya know, my true point was the fact that the question about the greenyness of Pandy is flawed and unanswerable :)

anexanhume said:
Anyone know the status of the OMAP series? If I had to guess, they may as likely be ROHS as not likely. As for the PCB itself, I would say it's probably not ROHS compliant, as it would cheaper to be non-ROHS and cost is a concern in the pandora.
Without RoHs we cannot sell it within Europe - so, yes, it HAS to be RoHs.

Last edited:
realyst said:
Tom` said:
The fire was brought on by the impact; that was never in debate. What was was that Greenpeace claims the Whaler hit them, the Whaler claims the opposite.

Greenpeace has used that boat to ram whalers in the past. The Whalers had video. I actually trust the Whalers on this one, even though I myself am anti-whaling in sentiment.

But ya know, my true point was the fact that the question about the greenyness of Pandy is flawed and unanswerable :)

At least from the Wikipedia article, the fire and the ramming incident(s) happened several years apart:

A major fire in the ship's processing factory broke out on 15 February 2007 while in Antarctic waters. The resulting damage caused the ship to be temporarily disabled, all while continuing to carry approximately 1,000 tons of oil. This incident took place within the New Zealand Search and Rescue Region.[3] One person was killed in the fire.

but
The Nisshin Maru and Greenpeace's MY Arctic Sunrise collided in December 1999 and in January 2006. Greenpeace claimed their ship was rammed by the Japanese whaling vessel.[6] Counterclaims of Greenpeace ramming the Nisshin Maru were also made and, extended video footage[7] of the incident was made available for public viewing by ICR

So it doesn't appear that the ramming had anything to do with the fire. But why would the Arctic Sunrise try to ram the whaling ship anyway (or vice versa)? The AS is far smaller, and there had to have been better ways to damage the Nisshin Maru if they really wanted to...could it have been an accidental collision?

Speaking of baby seals, one of the mods needs to club this thread to death.

ED answered the OP's question. Time to move on.

It is a shame that so many good minds put their efforts to supporting issues when they know they are wrong.

Thermodynamics and science have very little to do with global warming. Liberal Hysteria and political scare-tactics are what fuel Global Warming.

- I suppose you have some undeniable evidence that proves hundreds of scientists wrong, (DaveC)

Science has never proven anything in regards to global warming; in fact their “Proof” is about as accurate as it was 30 years ago during the global cooling epidemic. The burden of proof is on them, science as a community need not disprove un-proven theory and hypothesis.

The real truth is that now there is word that all four major global temperature tracking outlets have released data showing that temperatures have dropped significantly over the last year. California meteorologist Anthony Watts says the amount of cooling ranges from 65-hundredths of a degree Centigrade to 75-hundreds of a degree.

That is said to be a value large enough to erase nearly all the global warming recorded over the past 100 years. It is reportedly the single fastest temperature change ever recorded — up or down.

If you discredit Fox News then you must also not place any trust in TIME, or CNN, ABC, NBC, New York Times, and sure as hell not National Geographic, or Al Gore.

-CB

C B Felterbush said:
It is a shame that so many good minds put their efforts to supporting issues when they know they are wrong.

Thermodynamics and science have very little to do with global warming. Liberal Hysteria and political scare-tactics are what fuel Global Warming.

- I suppose you have some undeniable evidence that proves hundreds of scientists wrong, (DaveC)

Science has never proven anything in regards to global warming; in fact their “Proof” is about as accurate as it was 30 years ago during the global cooling epidemic. The burden of proof is on them, science as a community need not disprove un-proven theory and hypothesis.

The real truth is that now there is word that all four major global temperature tracking outlets have released data showing that temperatures have dropped significantly over the last year. California meteorologist Anthony Watts says the amount of cooling ranges from 65-hundredths of a degree Centigrade to 75-hundreds of a degree.

That is said to be a value large enough to erase nearly all the global warming recorded over the past 100 years. It is reportedly the single fastest temperature change ever recorded — up or down.

If you discredit Fox News then you must also not place any trust in TIME, or CNN, ABC, NBC, New York Times, and sure as hell not National Geographic, or Al Gore.

-CB
blah. discussion's over. we've heard it all before.

pd_yawning_070730_ms.jpg

Chip said:
Speaking of baby seals, one of the mods needs to club this thread to death.

ED answered the OP's question. Time to move on.
Yeah, it's definitely deteriorated into political debate. Time for the ker-plunk of a padlock clicking home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back