How Green Will Be The Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenpeace is okay - but only with a lot of salt. And then you can mix them in with your mash'd taters. MMmmm....

Visualize whirled peas.

Al Gore is full of shit, and the global warming movement is essentially a cult. Please don't be fooled by the media around you, don't fall into the "green trap"! On Earth Day I made sure that all the lights were on in my house and the AC was running at full blast. I don't care if it costs me money, I'm just disgusted by this whole stupid lie that everyone has bought into.

BoneSmash said:
Al Gore is full of shit, and the global warming movement is essentially a cult. Please don't be fooled by the media around you, don't fall into the "green trap"! On Earth Day I made sure that all the lights were on in my house and the AC was running at full blast. I don't care if it costs me money, I'm just disgusted by this whole stupid lie that everyone has bought into.
I agree with the idea that modern "Environmentalism" is fed by shaky data and too much passion, but there isn't any really good reason to start burning tires in your back yard. Being anti-environment isn't proving them wrong, it actually builds the environmentalists case by giving them bad examples to point out.

That being said, I don't think that the manufacturing processes include dipping babies in pesticides, so it shouldn't be any worse for the environment than any other electronic device built in China.

Has the Green factor really prevented anyone from buying an ipod?

Last edited by a moderator:
BoneSmash said:

While I don't agree that Global Warming isn't actually happening, I do believe the public's idea of the phenomenon is extremely biased.

Is Global Warming occurring? Yes.
Has this happened before? Plenty of times in Earth's history?
Has life survived it before? Yes.
Then what's the problem? We're not exactly following the cycle, so no one has any idea what is going to happen. Humans in essence have screwed up the natural cycle. We've accelerated the warming. There is no data that can tell us what happens when something like this happens. Therefore, we could be approaching the end of the world, end of life, or Y2K all over again....

The thing to remember is that even though you may not believe in Global Warming, you have to be completely daft to think that there is an endless supply of oil, or that recklessly polluting does nothing. Cleaning up our act is ONLY going to help humanity in the long run.

Finaly, this doesn't mean Greenpeace is right. They are extremists, similar to the Al-Qaeda. Yes, I'm comparing them to terrorists. Society works on compromise, and Greenpeace will not compromise, so although they get issues into the limelight, they don't get solutions the recognition needed to actually solve any problems. In fact they cause alienation of soltuions due to their complete extremism.

Pandora might not be completely ROHS compliant, but if there is a huge demand for Pandora, it would be nice if they atleast met those standards.

Megamixman said:
Is Global Warming occurring? Yes.
Has this happened before? Plenty of times in Earth's history?
Has life survived it before? Yes.
Then what's the problem? We're not exactly following the cycle, so no one has any idea what is going to happen. Humans in essence have screwed up the natural cycle. We've accelerated the warming. There is no data that can tell us what happens when something like this happens. Therefore, we could be approaching the end of the world, end of life, or Y2K all over again....
We've survived a couple of ice ages as a species as well, but it's hardly something we want to have happen, is it?

But this is really a non-issue because any toxins which the Pandora may contain are not a problem if properly disposed of. Don't incinerate it or throw it in a landfill, as with any computer equipment (most places already have laws about this, and there are plenty of places who will recycle this stuff for free.)

Just because I hate to see misinformation propagated, I'd also like to point out that the small amounts of mercury in CFLs is also not a problem if properly disposed of, and it's a lot less than is spewed into the atmosphere as a result of burning coal to power incandescent lights considering the longer lifespan and lower energy consumption of the CFLs.

So is it a bad thing to care about the waste we generate? I'd personally rather pay extra (USD 200) than leave a load of trash behind when I'm gone for the next generation to deal with.

I think the topic starter had a good question, and one reason I enjoy open source applications is because they technically make less of an impact on the earth. Each time a commercial game is built it contains a lot of new code/art work, however, the open source community has a habit of reusing it's old code. So we're building and powering less machines for development and requiring less food and beer for the developers.

I'm not going to commit to a defense of Green Peace since I've never even heard of them before this thread, but it's worth mentioning they're probably not pushing out as much biased propaganda as Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Plea from a vegan/environmentalist: Every group has it's share of idiots, please don't allow the sane ones to be discredited by the actions of a few. We hate biased dumb ass environmentalists more than most people because not only are they annoying, they're giving the rest of us a bad name. Oh, and I agree, "Green Marketing" can be one of the most insulting things ever experienced.

BoneSmash said:
I didn't know that you were an expert in global thermodynamics. I suppose you have some undeniable evidence that proves hundreds of scientists wrong (sorry, Faux News Channel don't count). Please share this data with the rest of us so that we can put this "stupid lie" to bed once and for all ;)

Just for you I will make sure that Craig makes the lid of the Pandora encrusted with solar cells so that you can place it in the sun to charge it :p

The green question should be asked about every purchase these days. We're smart and we're educated; there is no excuse for having our heads in the sand. Every gadget we buy has some environmental impact, you should at least acknowledge this when you buy it.

Gruso said:
The green question should be asked about every purchase these days. We're smart and we're educated; there is no excuse for having our heads in the sand. Every gadget we buy has some environmental impact, you should at least acknowledge this when you buy it.
A lot of us simply don't care :p. And the reason I don't care is that I've made a point of not caring because I object to all the environmentalists who barely understand the problem themselves brainwashing people into blindly believing whatever they spout and then thinking that victory entitles them to the right to be violent.

Ok, I think this threa raises interesting questions. I also think it's kinda gone off topic into a slightly odd "green is good/green is bad" debate, rather than specifically the greenness of our wonderconsole.

If the next few comments aren't pertaining to Pandora's greenness, this thread will be closed. You have been warned.

Sure my last post might have seemed like I was on the complete opposite side of the "Green Spectrum", but to say that we will all be underwater by 2050 because the ice caps will have melted is completely insane. I believe that the environment is important, but honestly I don't see what's wrong with the way the environment is today. Look outside, its BEAUTIFUL!

People will always need something to rally behind and Global Warming is just the latest fad. Wasn't it only a few years ago that scientists were claiming that the earth was COOLING too rapidly?

As someone previously pointed out, the earth runs in a cycle. It gets hotter and colder at different points in time. It has done this since the beginning and it will continue to do this until the earth no longer exists. The human effect on the temperature is so small that to make the sort of changes to our daily lives that people like Al Gore say we should is absolutely ridiculous. Arnold Shwarzenegger, governor of California, said this "Unless you are living in a tree and eating nuts, then you are contributing to global warming". Is that what you all are planning on doing? Are you really willing to go back to the Stone Age so that there might be .00000000001% (number I just came up with, but isn't too far from reality) less impact on the earth's temperature? Yeah, I didn't think so.

@Tobriand
Sorry, I posted this before I saw your last post :(.

MisterBrisby said:
This thread is as good as dead... :(
What's wrong with you guys? Calm down!

Now, again: How green is the Pandora?
I DON'T KNOW, HOW GREEN IS YOUR BUTTER KNIFE?
HOW GREEN IS YOUR WIRELESS ROUTER?
HOW GREEN IS YOUR SKIN GRAFT?

FACT IS, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

jesus christ, how the fuck would you stupid enviroquacks expect them to test it anyway?

Well, on the greenness of Pandora.

It's small - so whatever toxins or non-biodegradables used will be kept to a minimum.

It's got a rechargeable battery. That's green, right?

It can be run off of solar panels. (Sold separately)

Since battery life is a concern - every effort has been made to keep power consumption low.

Those of us who buy them plan on using them forever - there have already been discussions (before the thing comes out) of what to do if parts makers go under in the next 5 - 10 years. And, from what I can tell on ebay - handheld consoles that succeed rarely end up in the landfill (GameBoys are still for sale on ebay).

Far more green than a disposable cell phone, far more green than a huge power hungry desktop, far more green than a PS3....

I think it's pretty green, myself.

{EDITED to add links}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back