Humble Indie Bundle Returns!

Sorry, it was supposedly posted on the data realms forum. I forgot the name of it. It was part of the "off the record" part of the show, which is why there's no recording at TIGRadio. I did a quick search on the data realms forums and couldn't find anything. I'll try again when I have more time.

I just checked my email and found out HIB#1 was included with my purchase. Awesome.

Edit: The best I can do is this url: http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20719&hilit=interview It looks like a member named SunnyKatt has the recording. They should have posted it yesterday by that post, but I'm afraid I don't have time to look for it.

Apparently people aren't paying too much for it. 7,46$ average. Damn those cheap bums. And here i was feeling bad for only paying $20...

Anyway, Hooray for them throwing in the first bundle games as well.

I've gotten really disenfranchised with Humble Bundle lately. It's actually a really good case study for proving that pay-what-you-want doesn't work: if it did, why have the humble store with fixed prices? Why the humble monthly? Why so many bundles being shotgunned out? When it first came out I was enthralled, paid way more than the average to encourage this kind of behavior, promoting Indie developers, Linux support, DRM free, all that good stuff. The last half dozen or so indie bundles, punctuated by all the non-indie bundles in between, has really drained me of caring. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I just getting old?
That being said, I did throw another $10 at this one.

I can relate. For the first bundle, I paid what I felt like paying for the games. Now I just pay what I have to pay to get the games I want.

I bought the first three bundles, for a price designed to bring the Linux average up a bit. Out of that I think I only have machines powerful enough to run VVVVVV, so I've got the rest of them archived for when I upgrade my laptop. I'm tempted by sunless sea here, but I know I won't be able to play it yet.

I'm also a little surprised by the references here to DLC. Perhaps in this instance they're really just like old expansion packs, but that TLA still tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth personally.

I've done a lot for charity lately so I'm pretty well stocked in karma points. And with my time more scarce then ever I have a ridiculous amount of games in my Steam account I've never touched. I'd be better of just buying a game I will play straight away for full price and so would the developer. So that's my strategy for the time being although I still have a look at everyone. Slightly better impulse control.:)

Humble Indie Bundles are still the only way to get some Linux ports DRM free (as in without Steam), so I'm glad they still exist although I don't like how often some games get repeated in those by now, the weekly bundles would be better for repeating certain stuff.
GoG still often lacks the Linux ports although sometimes they come shortly after the bundles - Shadow Warrior 2013 for Linux for example.

I usually set the charity bar to zero since it's often only for American organisations and I rather help more locally if I got spare change, with "doctors without borders" being an exception.

Fez has appeared 6 times in bundles from what I counted on wikipedia, and I'm sure there aren't a shortage of indies wanting their game in there. So that combined with the non-linux drm'd packages, I haven't bought many recently.
Another thing that bugs me is when they add stuff "later"... I didn't bother with the game dev bundle because it was mostly RPG maker and stuff, and yet then I missed Spriter Pro.I think another issue is, I've had a lot less time to play games than I used to, and when I do, I tend to keep going back to a few that I enjoy than really trying any of new ones I've not even played/installed yet, and I have plenty of those. So that makes it seem a bit silly to buy even more games.
Humble is pretty much the only place I do buy games from these days, and only if they support Linux and have DRM-free.

I would still like to try and finish one of my games, properly polished, and to me, I'd look to try and get it in the Humble Bundle or Store... Alas, I need to make a game that's not quite so much of a clone... or even just make a game would be a good start, as I've not done any game dev for what feels like months now :(

For info, in that last HumbleBundle is Retro City Rampage DX, that come in the MS-DOS flavour (DRM free of course). And that version works perfectly on the Pandora with DosBox (DBGL).
RCR1.png RCR2.png
(screenshot from my pandora)

Back