I Cant Decide!

idjit626

Well see the Pandora is real small and stuff, bit that also means the screen is small. The Eee has a big screen but it has a lame touchpad and no touchscreen. Then the Eee has a built in 20GB SSD (more then I should need ever) and the Pandora uses cheap replaceable SD cards.

But the Pandora has built in game controls, then the Eee has a full keyboard.
The Eee can use Windows XP (screw learning Linux) but the Pandora can... something.
An the Eee is getting the Intel ATOM, but the Pandora has an ARM!
But if I buy the Pandora I will be supporting something meaningfully, but the Eee has a large company and a good warranty behind it. (Pandora's warranty????)

My head might explode! I just can't decide! Battery life is not a issue for me it is over 4 hours for both things.

WHAT SHOULD I DO! Or should I just an hero and get it over with?

Viking said:
Well see the Pandora is real small and stuff, bit that also means the screen is small. The Eee has a big screen but it has a lame touchpad and no touchscreen. Then the Eee has a built in 20GB SSD (more then I should need ever) and the Pandora uses cheap replaceable SD cards.

But the Pandora has built in game controls, then the Eee has a full keyboard.
The Eee can use Windows XP (screw learning Linux) but the Pandora can... something.
An the Eee is getting the Intel ATOM, but the Pandora has an ARM!
But if I buy the Pandora I will be supporting something meaningfully, but the Eee has a large company and a good warranty behind it. (Pandora's warranty????)

My head might explode! I just can't decide! Battery life is not a issue for me it is over 4 hours for both things.

WHAT SHOULD I DO! Or should I just an hero and get it over with?
I find these comparisons funny still, if you want a small laptop get an Eee, if you want a high spec gaming machine get a Pandora easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey

Well as I think ya probably already know, the Eee PC's doesn't have the best battery life, and probably takes a while to boot, and again it don't have a gamepad built in ;).

But if you primarily want a computer and not a gaming device then maybe the Eee PC is the way to go.

Anyhows what are you looking todo? are your needs more todo with computing or gaming?

cya

If you've got a decent computer (which I assume you do) why buy a new one when you can have a new handheld gaming console which can do many of the things an EEE does?

If you have a 15" laptop, then an eeepc isn't that much lighter, so a pandora would better serve your portable needs. If you don't, there's no easy choice. Depends on what you need to do.

Just keep in mind that the Intel Atom is not any more powerfull than the pandora's ARM.

as already said the ee is a laptop and doesnt have any gaming controls about the touch screen i heard awhile ago that asus were bringing a touchscreen model out at some point

I have a XBOX 360 controller I can use on the Eee so I don't care.
Also I want to do everything on whatever I choose.

Well, pretty easy, if you ask me:

If you need a small subnotebook for eMailing, running some PC apps, maybe play a few games, etc. get an eeePC.
I use mine as a small PC when I'm not at home (i.e. hotel, etc.)

The Pandora is not a PC. You can't install standard PC stuff on it.
But that also means that ported apps are all optimized on the Pandora (which is not the case on the eeePC, gaming is no fun there).

So: For gaming and music on the go with some browsing and eMailing, get a Pandora (you can hold it in your hand while typing).

As a small PC when you're not at home, get an eeePC (you can't really hold it in your hand, you have to put it on a table while using).

Pandora: Primarily Multimedia
EeePC: Primarily Laptop

It depends on what you want. You want to use it to type documents up and other work-related things, with perhaps a little multimedia if it can? EeePC's for you. You want movies, gaming, mobile web browsing, and a little word-processing and PIM stuff if it can? Pandora's for you.

I chose the Pandora because I already have computer access wherever I need to do any sort of serious typing. There was a huge gab in between that needs serious filling after both my laptop and Zire 71 (don't get one) degraded, literally, on me. The laptop did my gaming, VNC, and quick web-browsing for me, while the Zire 71 was a mobile video and music player. The Pandora is perfect for that. :)

Viking said:
1 year last I heard.

Viking said:
Battery life is a minimum of 10 hours. They talked about 100 hours MP3 playback, but we've yet to find out if that's true.

jaycee900 said:
I find these comparisons funny still, if you want a small laptop get an Eee, if you want a high spec gaming machine get a Pandora easy!
I agree, but the Pandora is also so much more than a games m/c. It could function as a pda replacement, mobile internet etc.

To me those looking at it more as a umpc need to consider size. Pandora is pocketable but the flipside is a small-ish screen and diddy keyboard - not ideal for, say, writing a thesis. But then again great if you want to make use of all those odd minutes where you are waiting around. Better still, you can claim you are writing up some important notes and when your boss has gone out of sight flip over and see if zodtdd has really got goldeneye at full speed.... :D

Wash, Rinse, Repeat. You have already made a couple of threads about the Pandora and the EeePC, This one in particular you pretty much made up your mind that the Pandora was not for you. You already know the differences between the two devices, And the plus and minuses of each system. Just make your decision based on that, And stop creating these duplicate threads with slightly varied themes.

Anymore, And they will be locked on sight.

Trooper

Viking said:
but I keep changing my mind and they are both so nice.
Do you need a PDA or a Laptop? Find out, then stop making threads about it. And don't say 'an hero', ffs, are you 12 years old?

EDIT: For Tobriand, referring to childish *chan reference, not grammar

Just get an EEE now (and please go away), then if you don't like it in a couple of months when the Pandora is released, sell it and get one.

If you really can't work out which one would suit you better, then this is the only way to do it.

PoisonedV said:
And don't say 'an hero', ffs, are you 12 years old?
Off Topic: Whilst you may not be referring to his grammar, if you are, I believe technically this is correct, for the same reasons that "an hotel" and "an hippopotamus" are - h historically counts as a vowel in English.

Eeepc vs. Pandora...

They are so radically different to me, I don't really get the comparisons.

But if it's a matter of wanting both and only being able to afford one - then it depends on your primary applications. If you want to use more mainstream computing apps, then the eeepc will be better (i.e. better keyboard, bigger screen, can install Windows etc.). If you only intend to do light computing (i.e. occasional online stuff, minor typing etc.) and love games, then Pandora is great and also much smaller.

I was thinking of getting both myself. But now I've decided that Pandora will probably handle the light computing apps I would want on the road, so instead of an eeepc I'm planning to get a more full size notebook that wouldmostly be used at home - you get more for your money that way.

I was waiting on the spark to a flame.

How about you wait until the actual Pandora hardware is out, and available to you to make a purchasing decision. If you have a steady form of income, I would go ahead and get a eeePC and then save up for a Pandora. By the time you have enough for one (which for you, may honestly just take a single week to have enough to get one), the Pandora just may fit your need and tap it's potential.

To be honest, while there are devs already working on stuff for the handheld, I can guarantee that it will not meet your needs immediately. Take a breath, calm down, and you just may be happy with investing in both.

Hope this helps.

icurafu said:
I used to think Craigix was an idiot for comparing the Pandora with the Eee PC, but now I realise that it's the consumers who are the idiots and Craigix is actually quite clever.
That's quite a quotable quote there, sir.

While I agree they are not directly comparable (as I said before) I think it's wrong to call people "idiots" for doing so.

Consider this - both are capable of very light computing tasks. Pandora should be somewhat capable at light browsing and basic text editing apps, as well as media playback. If that's all someone was planning to use an eeepc for, then Pandora could serve as a smaller & lighter substitute. And obviously, if you like games, the Pandora will rock.

Back