I Cant Decide!

EvilDragon said:
Well, pretty easy, if you ask me:

If you need a small subnotebook for eMailing, running some PC apps, maybe play a few games, etc. get an eeePC.
I use mine as a small PC when I'm not at home (i.e. hotel, etc.)

The Pandora is not a PC. You can't install standard PC stuff on it.
But that also means that ported apps are all optimized on the Pandora (which is not the case on the eeePC, gaming is no fun there).

So: For gaming and music on the go with some browsing and eMailing, get a Pandora (you can hold it in your hand while typing).

As a small PC when you're not at home, get an eeePC (you can't really hold it in your hand, you have to put it on a table while using).
Firefox seems like standard pc stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
days_of_ruin said:
EvilDragon said:

If you need a small subnotebook for eMailing, running some PC apps, maybe play a few games, etc. get an eeePC.

But that also means that ported apps are all optimized on the Pandora (which is not the case on the eeePC, gaming is no fun there).

So: For gaming and music on the go with some browsing and eMailing, get a Pandora (you can hold it in your hand while typing).

As a small PC when you're not at home, get an eeePC (you can't really hold it in your hand, you have to put it on a table while using).

Firefox would have to be ported. What he meant was, you can't just download something designed for a regular computer and expect it to work, it would need to be ported.

days_of_ruin said:
EvilDragon said:

Telling the developer what his console is? Hmm, is it just me or is something wrong with that?

PlopperZ said:
Firefox would have to be ported. What he meant was, you can't just download something designed for a regular computer and expect it to work, it would need to be ported.
Yup, exactly.
With the eeePC, you can take any Linux distro and install it there, using all standard x86 repositories.
Or you could even install OS/2 Warp or DOS. Or Windows.
Then you can download programs for that distro or OS and install them.
That's what I meant with Standard PC Apps.

With Pandora, you need to wait until someone ports it. You can't install Windows nor any standard Linux distro. Might be possible with Ubuntu Mobile (for ARM), if it ever supports the Pandora, but still all the stuff needs to be ported.

That's good and bad at once.
Good, because you only get Pandora optimized software and bad because you need to wait until somebody ports it.

I personally think this is good. Got an eeePC, installed hundreds of programs and games which I uninstalled again, because none of them were optimized for 800x480 and either you need to move the windows around to be able to use them (which is annoying) or they won't run at all because they need 800x600 at least.
Now I only use the eeePC for Web apps, small games, DOS Box, etc.
Mainly like a small, lightweight PC.

That won't happen on the Pandora. You download, you try out and won't have to fiddle around to get anything running. Like with most gp2x apps. That's what I love about unique systems.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Or you could even install OS/2 Warp or DOS.
Oh man, now you've done it. Now I've got to get myself an Eee and put OS/2 on it.
Anyone know how much eComStation goes for these days?

(Yes, the removal of Windows as an option was quite deliberate...)

EvilDragon said:
That won't happen on the Pandora. You download, you try out and won't have to fiddle around to get anything running. Like with most gp2x apps. That's what I love about unique systems.
but then, you have to rely 100% on open source + developers to port it. :mellow:

you pick up an eee pc and already can browse the internet with flash.
on the pandora, you have to wait for someone to port firefox (ok, somewhat expected to be available soon :) ) and the flash plugin ( :unsure: )

please, all of you who are still thinking if the pandora is right for you, consider this is the biggest flaw in it (using an ARM processor doesn't let you play with any windows or linux X86 applications and games you are used to -_- )

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
please, all of you who are still thinking if the pandora is right for you, consider this is the biggest flaw in it (using an ARM processor doesn't let you play with any windows or linux X86 applications and games you are used to -_- )
Most things someone would want on it only need to be compiled for ARM. Absolutely no changes to the source code. Anyone can do that. Optimisations can come later.

The other things are stuff specific to x86 (JIT compilers, badly written C/C++ code, stuff with assembly in it) and stuff specific to OpenGL, which need to be ported to OpenGL ES.

I'm talking about playing wow, gta, using autocad/sketchup and little windows apps.
no source code, just plain x86 executables.
you will never, ever, be able to run them on your pandora. that's what I'm talking about.

You will also not be able to use your Pandora as a Violin.

Please, Everyone. I implore you. Before you decide whether to get a Pandora or not, you should consider that it can not be used as a Violin.

You will never, ever, be able to use your Pandora to play the L'Arbre des Songes or any of the great Violin Concerto.

icurafu said:

Please, Everyone. I implore you. Before you decide whether to get a Pandora or not, you should consider that it can not be used as a Violin.

You will never, ever, be able to use your Pandora to play the L'Arbre des Songes or any of the great Violin Concerto.
I don't want one now. :(

;)

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
I'm talking about playing wow, gta, using autocad/sketchup and little windows apps.
you will never, ever, be able to run them on your pandora. that's what I'm talking about.
You wouldn't care about most of those on a screen this small and there are equivalents for most others.

The pandora is clearly labeled as a linux console. Linux can't run wow, gta or windows apps natively. Gta wouldn't work anyway, since there's only OpenGL ES. Wine only works on x86, and the fact that it uses an ARM cpu is also clearly labeled.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
Woohoo! Pandora will never be corrupted by Windows. That should swing it for anyone that was undecided. And some things we have to wait for someone to port optimised code - bummer(!)

Actually for anybody undecided and wanting windows or full blown linux distributions like Mint, Fedora etc - don't buy Pandora. The rest of us will be too busy having fun to notice you bought an eee or mininote anyway.

sindbad said:
and the fact that it uses an ARM cpu is also clearly labeled.
as if people know what that means. :huh:

icurafu said:

dont be ignorant. <_<
most of the people who will be in touch with the pandora in the news don't know the difference between x86 and arm executables, so my point on explaining this clearly is a lot valid.
specially with so many people "unsure between the eee pc and the pandora"
also, I didn't ASK, I STATED that things like wow, gta, autocad, lots of little windows app, simply won't work.

my main concern here is stating the pandora is like a pc. no. that leads one to think it's incredibly powerful in terms of software (which is the case with windows-running pcs) and that's just false advertisement.
the pandora will not be another small only-a-few-geeks-know-it device like the gp32, think about it. B)
it has the power to reach the mass market out there, and tricking people into thinking they can do more than what is currently under development (which is basically what determines the software base of the system) is just mean.

so my suggestion would be, instead of promoting it as:
"a little pc... (except it can't run most of the stuff out there, they have to be open source and tuned for the pandora)",
it would be far more honest to promote it as:
"a portable with great processing power and graphics, which can at the moment play videos/music, surf the net (browser, IM, emails), play emulators plus some other stuff (still in development at the moment)"

did you understand that what I said was not a question, but an attempt to make newbies less confused about what it can and can't have in the future? <_<

I know what you mean.
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
my main concern here is stating the pandora is like a pc. no. that leads one to think it's incredibly powerful in terms of software (which is the case with windows-running pcs) and that's just false advertisement.
But it is a small pc. There's little my desktop linux computer can do (which is "incredibly powerful in terms of software") that the pandora can't. Wine is one of those things and maybe it should be added to the FAQ. I think you're underestimating just how much valuable software there is for it.

Would the label 'runs linux exclusively' (even though that label is a bit flawed) satisfy your concern?

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
sindbad said:

most of the people who will be in touch with the pandora in the news don't know the difference between x86 and arm executables, so my point on explaining this clearly is a lot valid.

tricking people into thinking they can do more than what is currently under development (which is basically what determines the software base of the system) is just mean.

so my suggestion would be, instead of promoting it as:
"a little pc... (except it can't run most of the stuff out there, they have to be open source and tuned for the pandora)",
it would be far more honest to promote it as:
"a portable with great processing power and graphics, which can at the moment play videos/music, surf the net (browser, IM, emails), play emulators plus some other stuff (still in development at the moment)"

To quote OpenPandora.org:

"What is the device designed for?
It is designed as an ultra portable open source computer with gaming controls, it is very small, around about the same size as a DS. It can easily fit in your pocket."

That is not saying it is "a little pc".
No lots of people don't know what an ARM cpu is. Many also don't understand what open source or linux are. Or that Apple Macs don't run MS Windows. This little article shows how 'knowledgeable' some people are(n't): linuxjournal.com who cares.

We need to leave it to the devs to get the advertising and marketing right when the Pandora, OS and software are known and can be declared. At the moment these are not all sorted, but then it isn't for sale yet either.

Like "a portable with great processing power and graphics, which can at the moment play videos/music, surf the net (browser, IM, emails), play emulators plus some other stuff (still in development at the moment)" is a great advert. Browser? Based on certain peoples knowledge would the devs have to explain why they can't get IE? Or what is flash and java etc?

We need to leave it to the devs to get the advertising and marketing right when the Pandora, OS and software are known and can be declared.

No. this is a discussion forum, and I think we have the right to give our opinion over the extra care they need to take when advertising this unique product. B) (and I'm sure any polite opinion will be greatly accepted by the pandora developers, after all, this is a community)

Like [gogeta's advert] is a great advert.

I certainly took no more time think about it than I took to type it, and it is already a lot more precise than what everyone is advertising.
no user "needs" IE, so advertising pure internet browsing is correct. people don't ask why they can't play gta on their cellphones, but certainly will with this "ultra portable computer with gaming controls".

see what are my concerns about what is advertised?
lots of other eeepc vs pandora topics confirm what I say is not absurd.
so I really think they have to be clear enough about what it can and what it can not do.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
sindbad said:

icurafu said:

dont be ignorant. <_<
also, I didn't ASK, I STATED that things like wow, gta, autocad, lots of little windows app, simply won't work.

Let's make it simple and break it down into the users. Where most people with this device will be one or more of these users.

Gamer - Thinks this device is a gaming tool similar to a DS. User expects to download pandora specific software.

MID - User thinks this is an Mobile Internet Device. User expects that environment is self containing. And new software will be delivered in the firmware. Expects that certain extra tools may or may not be made available.

UMPC - On the very lower percentile, these user may assume that he or she can install windows... on the SD cards... These users will no doubt complain on the forums that they could not install Windows XP or Vista like on his or her Eee PC. So I guess this is the type of person you are worried about. The kind that buys stuff without RTFM or whatever. I don't think that is a good enougn reason to change the wording of the device as an "ultra portable computer with gaming controls". I'm more worried that comparing it to the Eee PC will make people think that this device is more powerful than it really is.

You are right however, that more people will complain about not being able to install windows (and be moved to the LOL files) than complain about not being able to use it as a violin (also moved to lol files). However, both will be close enough to zero to get too concerned about.

ok, NOW youve been sensible :)
so you do agree there are two main problems with the current advertisement (not only from the developers, but also from the user base):
1. people will think this can run windows stuff
2. people will think it is more powerfull than it really is
where you find number 2 more troublesome and I find number 1 more possible to happen
done :) no more do I need to keep explaining every single detail of everything I say here
it's getting harder to speak stuff people dont want to hear and have to keep avoiding the flames nowadays... :p

Back