I Feel Down

Prometheus said:
I use the d-pad and the enter key just fine with the Zenity stuff, myself. :) There's no need to use the stylus if you don't want to, at least as far as those go.
I have too but it is fidgety and not very intuitive. There is also no ROM path remembering either. It is useable, just not the greatest.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
Prometheus said:
I use the d-pad and the enter key just fine with the Zenity stuff, myself. :) There's no need to use the stylus if you don't want to, at least as far as those go.
I have too but it is fidgety and not very intuitive. There is also no ROM path remembering either. It is useable, just not the greatest.

There is for snes9x, for example.
That's a few lines in the start script.

Last edited:
In my case I just make a link directly to the ROM's I want to play on my desktop .. so I've got a "Juno First" shortcut, a "Crazy Climber" shortcut, that launch in SDLMame, etc. No menu futzing for me, just a single icon to go to my games .. I suppose I could just automatically set up links in a folder somewhere too, for convenience ..

DaveC said:
All someone needs to do is make a lean and configurable front-end that could be integrated into any game app. This could then be used by anyone that needs/wants it. Then there would be no need for the PC-ish bloat menus.
I've actually worked a bit on something like this, with py-gtk. Probably won't have the motivation to finish it until October however :)

Well it took a little longer than I had planned but I just paid for my Pandora.

Yippee

Actually making a generic configurable filempicker is a lot of work; has to be themable so it can look remotely like the host app, keep track of per app preferences (last dir, common dirs etc), allow for single or multi selection, of files and dirs, etc and so on and after all that, its still a short term solution since very emu should erite their own to fit the rest of the gui anyway

*shrug*

One of us will do it. And ill replace the one in snes9x soon, and maybe add a database lookup thing to hatari so it can figure out whats in a file based on filename lookup or something, and some others

We need more devs :)

Jeffphone

After reading through this thread, I got the idea that maybe ED should just copy paste significant posts to the developer blog if it has been dormant for a while. I think there were a few good posts in here, but they would be completely buried without the stalker, and even then it might take time to find them.

Also, it would be cool if we could get a thread going where anyone interested in doing anything for development (programming, music, art, sound, whatever) could introduce themselves. People show off projects in the developer's corner, but has there been a thread where people say, "Here are my skills. I'm looking for a project."?

I know it was a long time back, but yeah, I dislike the whole "Windows 7 Starter doesn't allow you to change the desktop background or personalize in other ways." "Life without Walls," my foot! And the thing that stinks the most is my computer has the Poulsbo chip, which supposedly makes switching to Linux difficult (although, I have read distributions are attempting to support it).

skeezix said:
Actually making a generic configurable filempicker is a lot of work; has to be themable so it can look remotely like the host app, keep track of per app preferences (last dir, common dirs etc), allow for single or multi selection, of files and dirs, etc and so on and after all that, its still a short term solution since very emu should erite their own to fit the rest of the gui anyway

*shrug*

One of us will do it. And ill replace the one in snes9x soon, and maybe add a database lookup thing to hatari so it can figure out whats in a file based on filename lookup or something, and some others

We need more devs :)

Jeffphone
It doesn't need to be that complicated. Zenity isn't themable and just looks like a boring desktop file requester. For themable just add the ability to put a png background pic in it and call it done, good enough.

Default, last, common shouldn't be hard, a series of buttons along the top should do. Multi-selection? For what? you aren't going to load 5 ROMs at once anyway. This isn't meant to replace a file manager, just to pick ROMs for emus (maybe a WAD for doom etc.)

Many coders hate doing GUIs ans they find them boring. For them this would be good. Besides the whole "must be themed for the app" hangup is not a big concern. It is just a screen that pops up to load a game, who cares about such fluff.

I think a GUI like ZX-81s, clean and easy to use, just change the picture on the right to suit, of course that's his code but something similar for people who don't want to make their own would be better than z, plus more apps need to give the option to return to a menu not just press the 'pan' button to exit the app. I don't think people want a uniform file system for everything, though devs need to cater for users of both x and minimenu.

Definitely not, Sarlix posted video's of stuff I would run when I got mine and they all showed the emulators running fine.

I was just down because of the emu's I wanted:

Final Burn hasn't been released yet
MAME (OutRun runs very slow)

But having seen what the Pandora CAN do at the moment rather than what it can't I was immediately sold.

Ian

Back