I Feel Down

To the op....

Its worth remembering that its still brand new and there are only around 600 in the wild. And haven't been any new ones for a while. And you are basing your thoughts on others' opinions and videos.

So its a bit like seeing a video of a baby (albeit one with one hell of a long gestation period), hearing that all it does is cry and sh!t and giving up on humanity.

I'm as impatient as the next man (in the queue) but for gods sake give it a chance to grow up. Come back and complain when its a turbulent teenager by all means :rolleyes:

WizardStan said:
There are a few games with bugs or bad design that people either enjoy because they find the bugs and bad design hilarious and therefore it's an ironic enjoyment, or because it is one of the few games they've actually played.
Like the two The Cheetahmen games? :p (They're terrible, but they do have some good music - look up some remixes. Fantastic. :D)

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
silverspring said:
But in relative terms the statistics don't lie. I agree about one persons crap being another persons gem, but statistically it's the same 99%/1%, just different crap/gem.
I disagree as well. As soon as one person likes something, it is no longer crap. If so much as one person garners justified* enjoyment out of something, then I am happy for that person, even if I don't like that particular whatever it is. Not everything is designed for you, and just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean it is unworthy of existence. To that end, I've found it is actually the opposite: 99% of the stuff out there is enjoyable in some reasonable way to some person, while only 1% is pure crap.

*I specify "justified" because there are some people that just don't know any better. There are a few games with bugs or bad design that people either enjoy because they find the bugs and bad design hilarious and therefore it's an ironic enjoyment, or because it is one of the few games they've actually played.

As soon as one person likes something, it is no longer crap to them. I am not saying everyone has to like the same things.
I personally don't know anyone who finds 99% of stuff out there enjoyable. Unless they're on Prozac or happy pills.

silverspring said:
I personally don't know anyone who finds 99% of stuff out there enjoyable. Unless they're on Prozac or happy pills.

*cough*
Prometheus
*cough*

:p

Did I see mali say that they had to beat Spain? Mali.....tough luck :p

erm....what was the subject again? ah yes....I feel down. Well, now that Pandora's shipping, yeah, more complaints about lack of progress. Hmm....I was supposed to go kick some Chinese butts but I ran out of cash for the ride. Anyone volunteer? So...700 on the loose, 400 in preparation, boards going in cases next week.....7+4=11(00), me=~1500-1600, 1600-1100=500....still some way to go....let's read some more on the forums to keep us occupied......

SomeGuy99 said:
silverspring said:

*cough*
Prometheus
*cough*

No. This is the second time you've made this false insinuation. It's amusing how scary you find my natural enthusiasm. :p

Prometheus said:
silverspring said:
Alpha2 said:
That might be more an issue of you placing your hopes more on the nostalgia you hope to feel rather than a perception of usefulness.

I think you do have a point on the whole nostalgia thing. But I do think a lot of people will be buying a Pandora thinking it will offer them the world - retro games, music, videos, browsing the web, and be dissappointed when they find the retro games are no longer fun, the screen is too small for serious video watching (movies, films), likewise with the web.

Is the Pandora a cult in itself however?

I'm really hoping it's not just me feeling this way, it's just that there was a lot of build up hype over the years, and now it's here the community it crawling and you could cut a knife throught the current atmosphere.
This is your opinion, though. It does not mean "the Pandora is a cult" - it means you might have outgrown the things you once liked, or that your requirements don't fit into 800x480. ;)

Yeah it is my opinion, and my opinion only, however I can' be the only one who has noticed a distinct lack of any will. It does feel like the love has been lost already. I do hope I am wrong and things will pick up, but I can't say I'm feeling it right now. The whole build up was good, will the cases ship or won't they? But the first Pandoras went out several weeks ago and since then, everything seems to have fell on it's head.

It's sort of like "Well after all this time, we have our Pandoras. Now what do we do?"

i intend on using the Pandora regularly - i have a 1+ hour commute to work each way, every weekday. the last gadget purchased for me that i hardly ever used was the Palm Zire. i learned my lesson after that on my limited budget and i only try to purchase technology at a bargain price and that will not sit around as a dust collector. the GP2X was a particularly good buy* (and i still use it) and i expect the Pandora will be quite a bit better.

* (re: other recent portables - the PSP isn't used as much as it should, but i only paid $50 for that. i started using the DS quite a lot more when Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes came out... it's practically the only game i play on that system now.)

silverspring said:
Haha yeah, Prozac and happy pills it must be.

You should try them.

SomeGuy99 said:
I think the Pandora makes a nice video player though... that it does do well.

Agreed. A lot of people have been saying the Pandoras screen is too small for serious video playing, but I think of the whole 'bigger screen size = more absorbing video experience' as more appropriate in terms of pixel density than actual physical size. Video playing just looks stunning on Pandora, and I can be just as involved as with a bigger TV, partly due to the distance making the perception of screen size pretty much the same, and partly because the Pandora's screen just looks so vibrant.

silverspring said:
But in relative terms the statistics don't lie. I agree about one persons crap being another persons gem, but statistically it's the same 99%/1%, just different crap/gem.

I think that statistic's still a bit harsh. Maybe you need to explore others peoples recommendations of retro games, that you haven't actually played before. It may be that no game that holds nostalgia for you will live up to the memories, so they don't become enjoyable to replay, but if you try new things that you missed at the time, you might find some really good games. Check out the 'recommendations' threads and buy licenses for the games (or not, your legal choice :p) that sound the most interesting:

Snes
Genesis
Amiga
MAME

the more pandoras that get out there the better stuff we will see more games more developers taking interest we have done our bit by buying the pandora its now up to craigx to deliver the goods i am on batch 2 i can wait cause i know most the querks will be ironed out by the time i get mine and there would have been over 4000 delivered by the time i get mine that means the real pandora as we know it begins its journey boldly to go where no game handheld has gone before ladies and gentlemen i give you pandora to be cont................

Know how you feel also grew up with the zx81 1k, 16k Progressed to 16k spectrum, 48 k
then Amiga 500/600 and 1200.
Still have 600 and 1200 just bought a 1200 on Ebay with built in cd drive and one of those
ch harddisks. Also own a gp2xf200.
Ordered Pandora exactly 12months ago .
I think production quality is improving ,that is I think the longer the wait the better the machine.
Am on holidays now was on holidays when my partner ordered it 12months ago in time for Christmas.
Still have partner but no Pandora..................

Can we stop tossing around percentages? first they're entirely subjective in this thread, and there's not a single shred of evidence to back up ANYONE'S opinion in any case one way or the other.

silverspring said:

I'm on Venlafaxine. Not exactly Prozac but still happy pills :) I'm keeping myself sedated until my Pandora is delivered. Then I'll slowly detoxify myself until my addiction turns around from simply chemical to UltraMobilePandoraConsole or whatever UMPC used to mean before the Pandora was dreamed up.

Prometheus said:
SomeGuy99 said:
silverspring said:

*cough*
Prometheus
*cough*

No. This is the second time you've made this false insinuation. It's amusing how scary you find my natural enthusiasm. :p

Glad I amuse you.

I find it a little creepy and unnatural yes. :p

A friend of mine recently became extremely cheerful and positive. Now, this friend was one of the most po-faced and cynical people I ever met, but nonetheless cool and very well natured. Seeing her smile is just... wrong! Oh god. It's such a creepy and artificial smile, and doesn't seem right at all.

She also finds it hilarious how disturbed I am.

Um, anyway... balance ftw?

According to most people I am 'happy go lucky' and 'always smiling' so what the hell do I know?!

Seamus said:

Will trade my Pandora for a good partner, if anyone's interested ;p

Alpha2 said:
Can we stop tossing around percentages? first they're entirely subjective in this thread, and there's not a single shred of evidence to back up ANYONE'S opinion in any case one way or the other.

90% of people who berate statistics are total losers.

Exophase said:
Seamus said:

Will trade my Pandora for a good partner, if anyone's interested ;p

He means it. :)

Back