I Feel Down

SomeGuy99 said:
90% of people who berate statistics are total losers.

90% of losers are totally awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
SomeGuy99 said:

99% of people who don't believe in statistics say that Exophase's figures are complete rubbish.

SomeGuy99 said:
Exophase said:
SomeGuy99 said:

99% of people who don't believe in statistics say that Exophase's figures are complete rubbish.

46% of people that recognize the use of irony in the statistic use around here are now trapped in a paradoxical vortex of meta-jokes.

SomeGuy99 said:

99% of everything Exophase says is complete rubbish.

Viral18 said:
46% of people that recognize the use of irony in the statistic use around here are now trapped in a paradoxical vortex of meta-jokes.

Irony is statistically insignificant.

Exophase said:
SomeGuy99 said:

99% of everything Exophase says is complete rubbish.

100% of everything I post is a lie.

I'm fed up of waiting as well. I think the failure of the pandora will be supply can't meet demand. That's important in an opensource device. Whos going to dev for a device which currently has an audience of 700 ppl? I was so close to ordering the other day...got the googlecheck out email and then thought why do I wanna hand over the thick end of £300 for something I won't see until November? Not to mention that I want to move to Oz in August and then possibly to Canada in March.

So I bought a Wolverine replica leather jacket...lol something that won't be of any use until Sept and of no use if I go Oz.

Amaze B)

Well, I just read your opinions - and I can understand all of you.

With all the hype that's been build up around the Pandora, it seemed like the holy grail. Like the perfect dream machine.
But let me tell you one thing: There is no dream machine. It doesn't exist and never will - though, reading to some users posts, the Pandora seems to come close to that for some.

I know I'm one from the team and will probably post very subjective - but I always try to be as objective and honest as I can. Also on the videos and reports: Everything I showed on the Pandora was for real.
It can do that.

I think one of the biggest problems we have nowadays is, that time seems to fly by faster and faster.
A device seems to be outdated after a few days.
The iPhone 3G was just released - and now the iPhone 4 is there. The 3G is outdated. After what - half a year?
Yes, the iPhone 4 is more powerful. But do we need that? The power of the iPhone 3G isn't even fully used... why do we need more power?

Nowadays, a lot of people only see the raw CPU power. But that would mean: Basically each device is outdated after few months - as faster CPUs will be out ther by that time.

Now take a look at the video game console or classic computer area:
Take the Nintendo Line, for example:
It started with the NES 1983.
Then we had the Super Nintendo, the N64, the GameCube and the Wii (released 2006)

It's been 23 years - with just 5 different consoles. The average life span for a video game console is 5 years.
Why? Because nothing new is needed. In fact, it would hurt.
You can see with those devices that the developers need to get used to the system to fully utilize it.
Compare early NES games (Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong, etc.) with later games (Mega Man, etc.)
Or just Super Mario Bros. 1 with Super Mario Bros. 3

Yes, it's the same hardware - but games significantly have been improved. The hardware was way better used.
Same for Amiga, C64, Genesis, etc. Just compare games like PacMan to Turrican. Same hardware, different time.

Early PSX games looked like crap. Final Fantasy VII? Great game, aweful 3D graphics, compared to FFVIII or FFIX.

Looking at our beloved devices like the GP32 or the GP2X, it was the same:
Nobody ever expected Genesis to work playable on a GP32. Yet, it was achieved with fgen. But it took years.
Same on the GP2X: The first SNES9X was slow. 3 FPS. Nobody thought SNES would ever be playable. Well, it was. With SquidgeSNES and PocketSNES.
But that took years, too.

The Pandora has just been released a few weeks ago. The archive has been filled with quick ports. It was the same as with the GP2X back then...
Why? Quick ports can be done quickly. They won't amaze someone (well, I still think it's amazing VisualBoyAdvance runs playable, but okay...), but they can be done very quickly.
To optimize things on the Pandora will take time. It's a beast. More complicated than a GP2x (the OMAP manual is over 3000 pages!).
It has a lot of potential power, but the developers have to get used to them.

Aditionally, the current warm weather will probably not help development - a lot of people might be going swimming.

Just because nothing SEEMS to be happen, doesn't mean nothing IS happening.

Give the Pandora some time. This is just the beginning. There's A LOT more to do - and you can ALREADY do so many things.
I have no other device that size where I have a fast and snappy desktop on, but can play games with a decent DPad, too.

This is no device that will be outdated within a few weeks - the Pandora is meant to be used for a long time. Like most gaming consoles - not like a phone or PC.

Thanks for the level-headed and thoughtful post Ed. You have a knack for that B)

And so the next twirl on this merry-go-round begins!

silverspring said:
As soon as one person likes something, it is no longer crap to them.
And this is where we disagree. Just because you don't like something does not make it crap. The world does not revolve around you. You may not enjoy 99% of what's out there, but most of it is enjoyed by someone and therefore has a right to exist. I stand by my statement: it's more like 99% is reasonably enjoyed by someone out there, and only 1% is crap.

Very professional post ED. Thanks for your input, all makes sense.
I am now in bed posting from my Pandora, so theres one use at least :)

Rockthesmurf said:
I'm not entirely sure why this thread exists.

Steve

Because we needed Prozac/Valium/Ed to make the empty feeling go away.

Make that 2 I'm in bed also and YES I'm using my pandora. Just about to fire up UAE4All and get some AMIGA action in before bedtime and yes my pandora is loved 100 PERCENT! :p

Doh^^ edited his post in bed on his pandora :)

WizardStan said:
silverspring said:
As soon as one person likes something, it is no longer crap to them.
And this is where we disagree. Just because you don't like something does not make it crap. The world does not revolve around you. You may not enjoy 99% of what's out there, but most of it is enjoyed by someone and therefore has a right to exist. I stand by my statement: it's more like 99% is reasonably enjoyed by someone out there, and only 1% is crap.

I never said that just because I dont like something that makes it crap. Of course people enjoy different things, but there are still very few people who enjoy most things. People are very selective and generally respond very positively to a limited selection whilst casually disregarding the majority. Whether that is good or bad is probably not for you or I to say.

Ed, your post are always very well written, and right on point. Thank You!

I waited 2 years for this device, and I love it. I'm not running vids, or listening to music, or surfing the web. I'm in it for the games, plain and simple. This device does a lot of things I personally never thought I would like or use, and in the end, that is OK. Many users have used everything that is available to them, and that is the beauty of this device.

I started in this community with the GP2X, and every week was like Christmas, some new game or an update to an emu that did something unexpected(sega cd was crazy), it was marvelous. Now, to say the Pandora is already dead and done is just crazy(it's less than 2 months old). Right now less than 25% of the 4000 original customers have them. How many of these customers are potential programmers? Once all units have been delivered, I expect many great things from many great people. We are not going to see full speed emulation for the N64 and PS1 in the first month, but we will all see some full speed emu's in the next year that none of us has even thought of yet, just sit tight.

For those waiting, I really think it sucks, but for a handful of guys who have made the impossible, possible....There really is nothing else like this device, and I doubt anything like it will be produced anytime soon. I'm a gamer, and have been for 30+ years, and sadly I don't have the time to sit in front of the TV like I once did. So I now really depend on portable gaming to meet my current needs. I have a $2000 laptop, and a $3000 pc, and sadly they both collect dust. Like Ed said, nothing is ever perfect to everyone, but it can be close, and for me personally the Pandora is it.

I can understand the pain in waiting, as I set my own cancel date, and was very willing to follow thru if the team didn't deliver in time. So for all of you who have not received your Pandora, please hang in there. Now if you see something else you might like better, please go for it, but for me this is it. There is nothing else. I do plan to buy a 3DS, as I expect it to rock, but the Pandora is something completely differant, and wonderful in it's own way.

The team is working as fast as they can, and still trying to keep some level of quality control, so please keep that in mind.

Chris

SomeGuy99 said:
Rockthesmurf said:
I'm not entirely sure why this thread exists.
Because we needed Prozac/Valium/Ed to make the empty feeling go away.

;)
Well, I can exactly understand how a lot of you do feel.
It's been sooooo long... you waited patiently.
Now the Pandora is out for some people... and you still have to wait.

Often, if nothing happens, it seems like nobody is working on anything.
I soldered 400 speakers today to LCD cables. Takes hours and hours. Besides doing my main job.
The Pandora repository (where you can do automatic updates) is being tested and optimized before going public.
Craig is preparing the top lids to build 400 Pandoras next week as quickly as possible when the boards arrive (I doubt he manages to finish all next week... as I think the boards will arrive on Wednesday or so, but he still tries to do it... my guess is 200 next week and 200 the week after :))
Paeryn is also working on SDL to speed up graphics and eliminate and tearing.
Zodttd is working with Tinnus together on PSX4Pandora to increase speed and include OpenGL ES rendering. That does take a lot of time before it will work.
I'm also working on changing the website to help new users get around with the Pandora easier. To introduce the project to some people.

A LOT is going on. But you won't see that before everything there is finished.
What would you do with 400 LCD cables? And still, they need to be done before the Pandoras can be built.
And how could you show the work being done on PSX4Pandora OpenGL ES rendering or SDL speed up while it is being coded and not yet finished enough to be working on the Pandora?

Besides seeing what is being done at the moment - just think about what we all achieved.

Yes, we all together. Craig, Fatih, Michael or me - what would we have been without developers like DJWillis, notaz, skeezix, Pickle, cpasjust, vimacs, etc.? Or without Daves Case Design?
Or without you?
Yes, you! If you hadn't helped us with ideas, a LOT of patience and the money you paid us in advance... the Pandora could not exist.

It is a project that exists because EVERYONE of us here. And boy - just think about it: A few guys and a big community take on the task creating something like a mini-netbook crossed with a PSP / NDS. Could that work?
If you think about it... nope, it can't. But it did - and that's still the most amazing thing for me!

Now the wait is over for some - and nearly over for the rest... there's a lot of software already out there.
Really, I think we should be happy - and not feeling down :)

Last edited:
Back