Idea to maintain community after P2

Because i disagree about the things you post, about the way you post, and the way mods tolerates this.

If nobody stands up, i do.

For, not against.

I made it clear in my previous posts that i hope for a certain level of quality here.

Last edited by a moderator:
For, not against.
Ah. I see. Ok, well as long as you are not offensive, that totally ok. I just dont appreciate when you call my threads bullshit simply because you dislike them. Im happy to listen to you if you have a differing opinion, but I would appreciate a thought-out post about why my ideas are not as complete as they could be and other possible solutions. I'm happy to be swayed another direction, so long as that person is respectful and nice

Ok, lets assume for a second that the P2 is x86 and has Windows support out of the box. That means that LOTS more people would be interested in buying and using it. So, basically the next OQO (and the first actually /good/ version of the device) finally hits the market. Presumably, lots of people will buy it, and therefor join the forums. I wouldnt be surprised if the forum grows a significant amount in a short time frame. This may lead to a less unified community.
I see where you're coming from. I think what you're hinting at here is that we should avoid x86 and stick with ARM - that way we keep the community intact.

Good choice, imo.

D.

Because i disagree about the things you post, about the way you post, and the way mods tolerates this.

If nobody stands up, i do.
Why don't you sit back down. Flaming someone because you don't like the "quality" of their posts is uncalled for. He's not trolling, stop accusing him of it. If you don't like a thread do what everyone else does and stop reading and posting in it. This forum isn't tailored specifically to your sensibilities.

I see where you're coming from. I think what you're hinting at here is that we should avoid x86 and stick with ARM - that way we keep the community intact.

Good choice, imo.

D.
That's quite the sensationalism. I see now that Intel actually has a good x86 SoC out and people can no longer point to reasons of technical inferiority to avoid them arguments based on fear and irrationality are surfacing...

That's quite the sensationalism. I see now that Intel actually has a good x86 SoC out and people can no longer point to reasons of technical inferiority to avoid them arguments based on fear and irrationality are surfacing...
Sensationalist less than facetious to be honest. I'd love an x86 handheld. Lo and Behold, Intel are producing a RasPI-style board:

The MinnowBoard!. It's just aimed at a totally different market and needs a heatsink, which is thoughtfully provided. And it's larger.

It's a start, I suppose. It's not totally OSS friendly; the gfx driver is closed (Intel GMA 600) so it's about as open as our Pandora.

D.

Does x86 mean NullDC will work out of the box?
Nothing is guaranteed.. it may run, but who knows if it's optimized enough to be fast on a mobile processor. It very well could be, but no one knows.

Id love Tails support.

Woah, this just occured to me. Do these SoCs have LiveUSB support? Can I boot off of SD or USB?

You can boot off SD or USB on the current Pandora.. of course it would have to be a compatible ARM distribution.

Also Tails is just Debian with TOR junk added to it.

Sensationalist less than facetious to be honest. I'd love an x86 handheld. Lo and Behold, Intel are producing a RasPI-style board:

The MinnowBoard!. It's just aimed at a totally different market and needs a heatsink, which is thoughtfully provided. And it's larger.

It's a start, I suppose. It's not totally OSS friendly; the gfx driver is closed (Intel GMA 600) so it's about as open as our Pandora.

D.
Let's be clear on this, MinnowBoard is using an Atom chipset that is a couple generations old, it's like the equivalent of Pandora's processor today. Nothing that is comparable to what you might use in a phone or tablet today. Even for its generation it's pretty awful. I don't know why anyone decided to make a dev board around it.

Whatever is in the running for Pandora 2 would probably need some sort of heatsink too.

Whatever is in the running for Pandora 2 would probably need some sort of heatsink too.
493d1174606255-thermalright-announces-heatsink-monster-ifx-14-cpu-cooler-clipboard03.jpg

:D

Do fans work? It might be helpful to include a small fan
Fans are something you add on top of a heatsink. They add a lot of thickness, really undesirable for something like Pandora.

Heatsink doesn't have to imply any particular level of thickness, just some slab of metal that the SoC has a thermal path to.

Do fans work? It might be helpful to include a small fan
Fans are something you add on top of a heatsink. They add a lot of thickness, really undesirable for something like Pandora.

Heatsink doesn't have to imply any particular level of thickness, just some slab of metal that the SoC has a thermal path to.
My mac has an aluminum body that acts as a heatsync for the processor. Is that an option? What if just the bottom plate was metal?

Back