Logo twerking

By F-zero and me

2q9dikx.jpg

@Comradekingu: I really like this one. Very elegant. And still has the dragons and wings etc :)

Edit: I forgot to say it's also not too complex, and it reminds me of calligraphy (always a plus). My favourite so far

Last edited by a moderator:
@LEOXD: I think the version on the top left corner gets the "H" out. Also the logo in the bottom right corner does that.

2q9dikxcut.png

2q9dikxcut2.png

2q9dikxcut3.png

2q9dikxcut4.png

2q9dikxcut5.png

2q9dikxcut6.png

That is partly why the two tone version is the two tone version. I prefer that, but i can understand the idea on the basis of "all logos must be 100% contrast black and white"

However I think that is an arbritrary limit to set, and also its brought on by techical limits, not a exploration of artistic merits as far as logos go.

( Edit: The eye is drawn to colour, moreso light, given the lack thereof. You can make something appear better by that simple fact alone, notice how nr1 is the bigger logo?

Its like trying to compare two different sound systems when one has added volume.)

There is though a level of refinement/colouring that isnt speculative, but just _right_, for example notice how #1 is bold when it shouldnt be, that isnt good.)

I would like to know what you thought of it as a whole. If you look closer maybe it will make sense.

The engraved version on the lid will not have colors AFAIK, so black/white won't work there.

With colors, the logo does LGTM.

I dont mind even if its in one piece, with no cuts. Then you can light it up wth one led.

What was good on the 1 logo was it had curves, it was round and thats plesant, it somewhat said dp, and it had some other visual elements going, it had an implied circle,

which in this case is a box
Just like #1 looks like an ying yang, with a circle,

the idea here was dragon (F) -  [box]  pyra (s)

• it had curves that didnt line up, this does, to an extent
    2q9dikx4.png
  • Fixed vertical stretch instead of horizontal. Beautiful landscapes are prettier than portraits.
  • No vague tribal new age stuff.  For it to be bold and no have energy leaking out it must be agressive and right.
  • The negative space elements line up, as does the rest.

This could partly be done as a direct fixing, but in my opinion that would be disregarding the most important aspect:

• It is no longer someone elses logo.

Well thats almost every connotation that sought to be avoided ;)   But its a process, maybe it will ripen for you too. Try the cheatsheet version

mbo8ly21.png

mbo8ly24.png

I didn't think "tweak" means not make it a flame. It's too different (in fact, completely different) from the original logo and it really does look like dHP.

If you make it a flame then its nothing left, not even a faint d-p, but have a go,  by all means.

Just like to present a take on a concept that many people like, ambigram dp. I dare say its more thematical, but its all in the eye that sees.

Its not as big a departure from what you call original logo to what that logo came from, the p and _a_ in pyra.

Its state is no more final than fzero has made in firstpost, which was a good effort, but it isnt as a variation distinguisable from just going out and nicking one of the many logos that variations on _the same_.

dp-concept, i get it, its an ambigram, but to have the whole thing be a variation of an idea based on the fact is taking it too far.

And just because it has the most votes now doesnt tell much about the logo, it goes back and forth, and actually had fewer votes in the end on the last vote.

Which is why curmulative voting is such a horrible idea, it wastes time, gives no meaningful results, and proves itself to be arbritrary. Its even logically flawed, a vote _against_ something is as valid as any, but it doesnt account for what the voter _really wanted_, with results being open you can only waste your vote on _not_ one or the other of the 2 most popular, and the blank vote is a deaf silence.

I have accumulated the information that ED thinks there should be a logo thats also on the lid. This plan fails when you add leds in retrospect.

So who decided the nr1 is the best one, actually the people who voted for something else earlier on...

Here is how its done, take all the proposed logos, hit up multiple choice checkbox vote. Make the results hidden and draw conclusions once results from a second one thats public all the way is in.

That way you see if there is a difference, and you have as good a control group as you can.

I dont for the life of me understand the sentiment that logos are too far away from something, when its in a thread to _tweak it_

What i get from 1 having to be tweaked, from the same authority who picked it, is that it needs doing, what you do instead is the opposite.

what you presented actually looks like

post-3032-0-85325600-1392987186_thumb2.png

post-3032-0-85325600-1392987186_thumb1.png

post-3032-0-85325600-1392987186_thumb3.png

and not

post-3032-0-85325600-1392987186_thumb.png

There is no negative space outline on a black lid, unless you rework it yourself its the exact same thing that isnt fixed but needs to be. And it cant be done with one led unless its really tiny.

It isnt easy to change, and it isnt easy to reproduce, because its a complex shape.

Disregard for real shortcomings doesnt really bring us any closer to something that looks like a final design. Design by comitee is a failed approach, someone needs to say fish-pizza isnt the sum of its parts, its actually not even as good as one or the other, its worse.

Meanwhile what do you think about the visuals? If the shape of a tilted h bothers you then make up a word, hardware, or something else that fits the bill.

@comradekingu,  These logo looks good but i'm not sure that it's the right logo for a game console, maybe if it looked more modern.

If you make it a flame then its nothing left, not even a faint d-p, but have a go, by all means.

Just like to present a take on a concept that many people like, ambigram dp. I dare say its more thematical, but its all in the eye that sees.

Its not as big a departure from what you call original logo to what that logo came from, the p and _a_ in pyra.

Its state is no more final than fzero has made in firstpost, which was a good effort, but it isnt as a variation distinguisable from just going out and nicking one of the many logos that variations on _the same_.

dp-concept, i get it, its an ambigram, but to have the whole thing be a variation of an idea based on the fact is taking it too far.
Not following you. The tweaking isn't meant just for the ambigram dp. It's for the 2 logos certainly being voted on, this for #1 specifically.

And just because it has the most votes now doesnt tell much about the logo, it goes back and forth, and actually had fewer votes in the end on the last vote.

Which is why curmulative voting is such a horrible idea, it wastes time, gives no meaningful results, and proves itself to be arbritrary. Its even logically flawed, a vote _against_ something is as valid as any, but it doesnt account for what the voter _really wanted_, with results being open you can only waste your vote on _not_ one or the other of the 2 most popular, and the blank vote is a deaf silence.

I have accumulated the information that ED thinks there should be a logo thats also on the lid. This plan fails when you add leds in retrospect.

So who decided the nr1 is the best one, actually the people who voted for something else earlier on...

Here is how its done, take all the proposed logos, hit up multiple choice checkbox vote. Make the results hidden and draw conclusions once results from a second one thats public all the way is in.

That way you see if there is a difference, and you have as good a control group as you can.
Well, actually it was tied. It tells that people like the general design better. Am sure he will make the logo look right on the led. He pick four and that was pretty much done other than blind voting and multiple choice, that I think wouldn't have that much change to the results.

I dont for the life of me understand the sentiment that logos are too far away from something, when its in a thread to _tweak it_

What i get from 1 having to be tweaked, from the same authority who picked it, is that it needs doing, what you do instead is the opposite.
It's not a small change of the logo, it is a completely different design than from what is being voted on.

what you presented actually looks like

and not

There is no negative space outline on a black lid, unless you rework it yourself its the exact same thing that isnt fixed but needs to be. And it cant be done with one led unless its really tiny.

It isnt easy to change, and it isnt easy to reproduce, because its a complex shape.
Well, like I said.

Or are you thinking of having that outline in gloss or something, against a matte console lid?
That or have the outline the led instead.
Or even protrude from the case. It would either be done with a bright led or 2 leds.

Anyway, I don't remember. Did he say the case will be black?

Meanwhile what do you think about the visuals? If the shape of a tilted h bothers you then make up a word, hardware, or something else that fits the bill.
Other than the H and the departure from #1, it looks good. Not sure about those bubbles(?) tho. I like the letters apart or different colors. I can't think of anything that doesn't seem forced.

Those are all details you dont know, which you in turn are putting on the case manufacturing. Not such a good idea. You can assume the case wont be white enough to let light through, or any sort of translucent solid colour.

The bubbles are fire, they are there to show where the dragonmouth is.

I actually dont care at all whats being voted on unless the vote is set up differently. It cant produce meaningful results. Cant learn anything from it, other than how to set up a valid vote.

Whats picked and what ends up being voted on, and whats popular, are all different concepts. Sadly i think what works is also contrary to whats left on the table.

If i wanted to design a logo as i wanted to i would, and i did. This is trying to appeal to what i think is a generally accepted to be a better style. Using whatever sentiment i have learnt to be popular, and some intuition.

Cant please everyone but this constantly comes up:

Reproducibility: looks the same pattern with added colour if available, _must_ be functional in black white monochrome.

Readability: dp, ap, seen it all, seen aps being presented as dps and doing just as well, evidently there is a point to it. Ambigrams are arbritrary to the whole idea of readability. Readability isnt arbritrary to good font design. So this is a very readable effort, _because_ it is a font-like latin char.

I dont normally like those, but for dp it is somethig that can be stylish and something else entirelly, if only what people see as an elaborate H.

Originality:  Other people have figured the dp thing out already, so that means one has to be simple yet complex, come last to the table yet pull away with the best design. Learn from the others.

Thematics: has to have something to do with dragons, boxen, fire.

Nerdiness: always a plus, do more with less and pull hacks.

Sleekness: cant have any character, must be polished, definately no errors which brings us onto the last

Aestetics: This is the most important and the most difficult to pull off with all the above in mind. In the end things were picked on looks mostly, and only simple designs.

And this is where my mind tears a rift, soul-less, mindless drivel is bad, the community is vastly different from the corruption. To mimic the abyss is the same thing as give up, its a futile attempt, and its worse than whats already on the plate.

Its very easy to be scrupelous, its so easy its predictable. Once you see the real issue for what it is, one can also understand why trying to replicate it is bad. Then again, one doesnt do that knowingly, so i suppose thats why most things are ugly and only a select few decide how. The rest of those people make things where you have to look for them, the pandora is such a thing.

Be different, admit to it.

@comradekingu,  These logo looks good but i'm not sure that it's the right logo for a game console, maybe if it looked more modern.
I see what you mean if you are talking about the 70s thing, a bit of americana, costly affaire flare. Something that would be on a expencive item or on a lucrative forn object. In the aspect it looks ancient thats the point.

Fire, and dragons, i dont think i can come up with anything less modern. The sun and the will to live? 

Dragon desings have held for thousands of years. Last i heard vikings were all the rage in popular culture, so its in style for a reason.

What is "modern" at any given time, especially now, will not last long, during my lifetime ive seen the mid 90s, there arent many modern in -94 to -96 designs left. Thats because they were shit, so is modern logo design. Half of it is old logos shoehorned into something awful, the rest are mostly inept.  Once in a while i see something whole and understand it as such, a break from the noise, good workmanship may not be universially recognized, but as a niche thing it is so great to see it.

There was just as much disco and synth-pop in the 70s as there was progrock, they were both popular at the time.

People are putting up buildings left and right in norway that are washed copies of bauhaus design. Thats modern and will always be, it is timeless for a reason. 100 years on it will still have merit.  Richard snapper, Dieter rams.  Their design-language is top modern, yet its from the 60s. Leitz is long dead, so is the canadian branch, but leica cameras (and lenses) are as popular as ever. Porche is still making ferdinand model shapes. Hugo boss, hasnt invented anything but fragrances since forever but is still the benchmark for clothing. Beyerdynamics is still making telefunken style headphones.

Lada niva, made since the 70s, still relevantly unchanged.

Bang&Olufsen, beolab 5, the amount of work they put in, one of the best efforts ever made.

None of them made something modern, they made modern.

It seems more reminiscent of Art Deco than something from the 1970s, but that can be a good thing.  If it were possible to bring in some of the flowing curviness of the central lines while still keeping 2 on each side and with the overall feel it might help those who don't see how it is related to the design from the vote (but it would lose the Deco appeal).  Also that might bring some flame like imagery to the overall logo.  I don't know if it would kill the H that some see, though.

Yes, thats what i meant, dont know why i have that linked to 70s. Maybe thats when the richest people still held on to it. Didnt understand what you meant, curve up the columns?

What is "modern" at any given time, especially now, will not last long, during my lifetime ive seen the mid 90s, there arent many modern in -94 to -96 designs left. Thats because they were shit, so is modern logo design. Half of it is old logos shoehorned into something awful, the rest are mostly inept.  Once in a while i see something whole and understand it as such, a break from the noise, good workmanship may not be universially recognized, but as a niche thing it is so great to see it.
I know and I haven't any problem with the fact it looks ancient but it looks too serious I mean two straight letters for a game console. That's why I suggest to make it more modern so that it would look less serious.

It looks elegant and I have nothing against the 70s style but the fact it's two straight letters is annoying because it's a game console.

Didnt understand what you meant, curve up the columns?
Yes, make the straight parts of the d and P (and H) wavy like what is in the poll, but with 2 lines on each side how you have it.  I have no clue if it will actually look good, but it might help some people.

I know and I haven't any problem with the fact it looks ancient but it looks too serious I mean two straight letters for a game console. That's why I suggest to make it more modern so that it would look less serious.
 I just verified this: the current 3 big home console logos all consist of letters in various fonts. The Xbox and PlayStation logos for the entire lines are also an X in a ball and a P with an S as a shadow or something.  The U for the Wii U is in a rounded rectangle.  If anything, going with letters seems to be exactly the thing to do for a modern game console.

To some people it might not be. It is enough of a game console to be one, but for different people its different things.

I think the target audience here is 16+. We all probably like nintendo, but not so much being seen with our nds-es in public. Most game consoles cater to children, or people who arent smart enough to operate a PC.

We arent that, and i sure enough own enough silly handhelds from before.

Enjoy games, by all means. Consider this though, to people for which it isnt a game console, its a handy tool.

That market is vastly bigger than game console, and it commands more money. People looking at it like a get business done type device are going to be deterred if it looks too playful, or, as sentiment is, "like a toy."

Dont know how many times ive heard that now, and thats even from the most game centric community of people i know of.

FZERO called me out in trying to dull down to where it had no sharp edges and such, and rightfully so, it only lost and gained none. There has been some playful designs, but they werent lid material.

rygD: can you draw it. Im not understanding how that can be done and still retain a box in the middle. Were it a font logo then i would understand, but it isnt. The letters are readable because they adhere to latin script, that cant be avoided while  still retaining readability.  Everything serves a purpose, and there is a reason for it all. I cant move anything without breaking the whole thing, so i dont understand whats wrong, nor what can be done, nor how to do it.

Im out of touch, so i refreshed:

a561a42c55d40171b51cc6e0394e9bbb.png
Best logo by far but i dont think sony is using that, least not in colours

sony-ps4-logo.jpg
   Ps4, font doesnt match their logo, and logo isnt in colours like it used to.  Only the emblem is on the console and controller.

xbox_lockup_white_trans_100347tcm19101254.png
  Xbox, new and old, bad and bad. Only the emblem is on the console and controller.

wii-u-logo-300x212.jpg
      Its a good thing nintendo dint print this on their console, nor the gamepad it comes with.

2q9dikx.jpg

Competing with the big ones is quite easy when they arent even trying.  Ps4 is closest, but doing away with the colours they got/stole from nintendo means its more evident that they stole the font from RCA.

Seems they have been on a roll with messing up and not having consistency ever since ps2

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--3f9rUDhd--/c_fit,w_320/18j4hysjqlg9rjpg.jpg  http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/136781iB0A711901DB21411/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

I think the target audience here is 16+. We all probably like nintendo, but not so much being seen with our nds-es in public. Most game consoles cater to children, or people who arent smart enough to operate a PC.

We arent that, and i sure enough own enough silly handhelds from before.
Such a tiring stereotype.

Enjoy games, by all means. Consider this though, to people for which it isnt a game console, its a handy tool.

That market is vastly bigger than game console, and it commands more money. People looking at it like a get business done type device are going to be deterred if it looks too playful, or, as sentiment is, "like a toy."
Yeah, because a  "handy tool" requires the obvious game controls on the device. Yeah, Pandora completely out sold the DS.

Oh wait...

Back