Moar Vids! Mplayer (Video), Kronos (Text Advent), Battlejewels (Ac

skeezix said:
battlejewels is currently same as Wiz one. I will be addin head to head network, game lobby, etc. Having fun hacking on Kronos when I get a moment, but got lots of pnd and pxml fixups to do in the next week :)

jeffPhone

Never heard of battle jewels -- looks fun! I noticed in the video it said it was the demo version; is this a pay-for app?

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
Spirit said:
Opening a video by doubleclick with mplayer is just a matter of telling the system to do so. ;)
Maybe the amazing smplayer gui will be ported.

That was not the point of mplayer part of the video, It was to show that there is no problem playing standard definition video on the Pandora, Which you would have deduced yourself, If you had read Jeff`s (skeezix) original post. :rolleyes:

Trooper
Either you quoted the wrong guy or you are quite a genius...

Have you guys tried "-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all"?

skeezix said:
That, I would pay to see. It's one of the main reasons I bought the Pandora.

Also, what film was played at the start?

wermy said:
skeezix said:
battlejewels is currently same as Wiz one. I will be addin head to head network, game lobby, etc. Having fun hacking on Kronos when I get a moment, but got lots of pnd and pxml fixups to do in the next week :)

jeffPhone

Never heard of battle jewels -- looks fun! I noticed in the video it said it was the demo version; is this a pay-for app?

traditionally I make it freeware, though it has been for sale on some platforms. I'm figuring to go free on pandora but am tempted to charge $5 or something for multiplayer for the hosting, lobby etc. Or maybe free all the way, dunno :)

kronos is gpl freeware

jeffphone

Pickle has a bunch of Dosbox videos up on his youtube page.

I need to find my WC2 actual CD and figure out how to get it happy in Dosbox; my current one is demanding the CD key and a couple WC2cracks I found just kill it :) (I actually own 2 or 3 WC2 CDs.. pre-BNet and BNet edition!)

I do have working Master of Magic, Civ 1, Wizardry 7, and Eye of the Beholder 1, if you want me to take 30s run through each of those.

jeff

skeezix said:
wermy said:
skeezix said:

jeffPhone

traditionally I make it freeware, though it has been for sale on some platforms. I'm figuring to go free on pandora but am tempted to charge $5 or something for multiplayer for the hosting, lobby etc. Or maybe free all the way, dunno :)

kronos is gpl freeware

jeffphone
I don't see a problem to charge a few bucks for your stuff. For all of the work you do for the community if you charged $2-$5 for a game you worked hard on I think it is fair.

skeezix said:
Pickle has a bunch of Dosbox videos up on his youtube page.

I need to find my WC2 actual CD and figure out how to get it happy in Dosbox; my current one is demanding the CD key and a couple WC2cracks I found just kill it :) (I actually own 2 or 3 WC2 CDs.. pre-BNet and BNet edition!)

I do have working Master of Magic, Civ 1, Wizardry 7, and Eye of the Beholder 1, if you want me to take 30s run through each of those.

jeff
Yes, do as much as you are willing to do :D just a video of you holding the pandora would probably be met with "SWEET VIDEO SKEEZIX" :) I think we all just want to see more of what this thing can do.

EvilDragon said:
mindlord said:
Could you try something xvid at 720p, instead of the CPU intesive h.264? I realize that the quality isn't quite the same, but the transcoding time is WAY shorter. It might be a good stop-gap solution for some people.

720p is too much to handle without hardware acceleration, and it's not really needed.
720p = 1024x720, more than the LCD can show.

DVD Quality is 480p (480 pixels height) which run fullspeed in xVid and is probably the best the LCD can show anyways :)
I don't know about "needed", but as others have said, it certainly would be a very useful feature (very little is actually "needed" for us to live our lives). I have a fair number of videos on my PC that are higher resolution than the Pandora's screen. I'd want to be able to play them without the hassle of re-encoding. So I hope that someone will make it work eventually...

P.S. Although if I do ever need to re-encode something, I use this awesome program. Too bad it's closed-source... (though someone could copy the GUI, in theory...)

DaveC said:
skeezix said:
I don't see a problem to charge a few bucks for your stuff. For all of the work you do for the community if you charged $2-$5 for a game you worked hard on I think it is fair.
I'm hoping the Pandora appstore get similar pricing as the iPhone appstore. I see a lot of good stuff there priced at $1-$3. Plant vs Zombies is only $2.99 on iPhone and that's a great game. Your game seems solid enough for a $1-$2 price. I don't like that kind of games but if I did I wouldn't mind paying $2 for it. The early entries to the store will help set the tone for pricing. While free would make a lot of people happy, a small price might help draw more game developers to the Pandora.

Esn said:
P.S. Although if I do ever need to re-encode something, I use this awesome program. Too bad it's closed-source... (though someone could copy the GUI, in theory...)
http://www.avidemux.org/ will do that job nicely. :)

Spirit said:
Esn said:
http://www.avidemux.org/ will do that job nicely. :)
While avidemux does the job it's not exactly user friendly. Handbrake is a good tool for transcoding newbs or for people who don't want to spend hours fiddling around with documentation.

+1 for Handbrake - I've been using it since its first Mac-only incarnation many, many years ago, and it's still my favourite app to use for ripping stuff (on the occasions that I don't just go and create an ISO with K3B).

Back