My Advance Wars Game

Really looking forward to playing this - will it have a story mode?

Geuben said:
UPDATE

So, ive finished uni for the summer and after moving back home, unpacking etc, i finally got around to doing a bit more work on the game. 3 new things have been implemented

1. Increased map sizes. The maps are now 2 screens by 2 screens, and can easily be made bigger (by changing a variable). Scrolling etc has all be done too.

2. Minimap, pretty straight forward, a minimap has been created. This shows the terrain and the buildings. should it show units?

And the big one!

3. AI....well sort of :p

I've had a bash and creating an AI, its very primative and methodical. At the moment it only works for one units type. You can see a video of 2 AI's battling below. Note - the video is as 2x speed, as it takes 10mins for the battle to finish otherwise.

AI vs AI Video

Hope you like the progress.

Geuben

As far I could see with my poor 56K Modem, it looked promising. :) You even had time for coding "Cutscene" Battle-Views? Nice Feature but of course I would prefer a option to disable it for fast-gaming. ;)
Graphics are nice and the "overall style" fits. I could imagine a (smaller?) semi-transparent On-Screen-Display and a slightly fast/quick fading-effect when the OSD changes it's position. So the swichting between top and bottom is not so a "hard plopping" anymore.

Minimap could be done like in the original AW Series, with Units (blinking) visible, maybe optional.

AI? Maybe you could use a good Chess AI? ^_^ Or just code a AI that learns while playing against itself and so the AI improves itself "over night"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. I really hope you make a version for Pandora in due course. :)
And nice sprites too, Pixitu.

You know a game excites you when your imagination gets working: Multi-player wireless, maybe online (TINXL). Design and share maps and challenge others to beat the machine. OK I'll stop now.

TaG said:
Looking good. I really hope you make a version for Pandora in due course. :)
And nice sprites too, Pixitu.

You know a game excites you when your imagination gets working: Multi-player wireless, maybe online (TINXL). Design and share maps and challenge others to beat the machine. OK I'll stop now.
I know what you mean, when I started working on it again, I was already envisioning a pandora version with wireless multiplayer etc...as I have no idea what the NET code is like in fenix and have never programmed a multiplayer game before i think thats getting a bit ahead of myself :p

As for the points about the "look" of the top bar jobby and the way it moves from top to bottom, thats really not finish, it will look a lot nicer in the end.

Geuben said:
I know what you mean, when I started working on it again, I was already envisioning a pandora version with wireless multiplayer etc...as I have no idea what the NET code is like in fenix and have never programmed a multiplayer game before i think thats getting a bit ahead of myself :p

By the time Pandora is with us you will have sussed this version and be looking for the multi-player challenge. ;)
(Well thats what happens in my dimension...)

TaG said:
By the time Pandora is with us you will have sussed this version and be looking for the multi-player challenge. ;)
(Well thats what happens in my dimension...)
I hope :D . I have some ideas for my next game already though. It'll be completly different to this. Think I might do some more work on it now, going to try and tweak the path finding function so that I can call multiple instances of it to hopefully speed up the AI.

Yes, this game would fit very well onto the Pandora. :)

And for the AI, I could tell some things that are so stupid in Advance Wars but can easily avoided in your game, not big deal, just some basic rules I think but great improvements of gameplay if done. :)

-Clever Capture Order: in AW Series, the AI often captures Cities first, even if a Factory is in range. But Factories always should have priority over Cities, Enemy HQ's of course should have the highest priority.
-Smart usage of Factories: AW AI often builds units somewhere and not near the Front where they are needed, even if a Factory is close to the Enemy/frontline. It's even the case that important Factories are left empty while a enemy is close and going to find the way to recapture it.
-Building useful Units: Not always but AW AI builds useless Units or Units at the wrong place I.E. Soldiers where Tanks are needed etc.
-Clever Unit placement: AW AI likes to build expencive Units like Bombers and park them right into the range of enemy Anti-Air units :D. There should be a better range-check of each unit in your game.
-blocking enemy HQ: not a bad Idea in theory: in AW the AI likes to set a unit into the enemy HQ because HQ's have high priority. But these Units stay there i.e. if they move a Tank into enemy HQ and then a Infantry Unit will caprute this enemy HQ, the Tank doesn't move away and the AI blocks itself and never can capture and win. Very funny to watch by the way. :lol:
-more effective usage of transport units: AW AI often makes useless moves with Transport Units, it builds these units but let them empty or moves the Infantry to the enemy on foot while the Heli moves side by side to the Infantry empty. Or the AI moves only one Unit into the Lander (sea unit, can transport 2 units), the result is, the Lander moves a single Tank to a free coast but there is no Infantry Unit that could capture the Buildings onto these Coast. ^_^
-Clever usage of Firepower: If a weak Infantry Unit only has a few HP left over, there is no need to finish it with a entire Bomber or a Big Artillery. Another weak Unit with full HP can do the Job and the strong Units can use their power onto bigger Enemies. :)
-Clever Unit movement: Long Range Units should try to always stay behind the Short Range Units during the entire movement to the Enemy i.e. the AI shouldn't send a Artilllery straight to the Frontline while the Tanks stay behind. Maybe there also could be a routine for building fighting Groups with the right units that can cover each other.
-better usage of Repair places: Good Idea of the AW AI is to send damaged Units to Cities for Repair/healing...BAD Idea is to send the Units into Factories (Bases) for repair, where one single unit blocks a Factory over many rounds.

Hey,
This looks really exciting - a good war game like this I have been waiting for.
Thanx

yeah, i have recently got hooked up on aw, so having a game like this for gp2x is really good news

keep it up :)

Quick question.

Is fuel supposed to be deducted a set amount for each unit type at the end of each turn? regardless of if the unit has move or not?

and also. Ammo. Does that just get deducted after each battle?

I don't have AW at hand to check, plus you guys might want things doing a little differently.

Cheers

Geuben

From what I remember in the 1st Advance Wars:

- Air and naval units consume fuel per turn regardless if they moved or not. The fuel is deducted at the start of a turn.

- Ammo is infinite for the machine guns in troops, recon, tanks, and helicopters; the only exception is the anti-air (which uses vulcan cannon). Everything else have an ammo limit. Each attack or retaliation uses one ammo.

EDIT: - Planes consume 5 fuel per turn, helicopters consume 2 fuel per turn, ships & unsubmerged submarine consume 1 fuel per turn, and submerged submarine consume 5 per turn.

Manjuu said:
EDIT: - Planes consume 5 fuel per turn, helicopters consume 2 fuel per turn, ships & unsubmerged submarine consume 1 fuel per turn, and submerged submarine consume 5 per turn.
Right. In AW2 there are interesting CO Powers fuel-releated:
DRAKE's special Powers (besides making Damage) also reduce half the Fuel of each enemy unit so your Planes, Ships and especially submerged Subs can run out of fuel before they reach the enemy, very mean Skill! :D
JESS can restore Fuel AND Ammo with her Special Powers, very useful to, You don't need a APC or refill Units into Cities, Ports or Airfields. :)

Small Update

ok guys, I figured it was time for a small update. Mainly been working on two things over the past few days

1. Transports.

I've put in a simple APC transport, that can pick up an infantry unit from the squares immediatly up down left right of it, move and unload the unit to a moveable square up down left or right of the APC...thats right isnt it?

So long as that code is right, i can pretty simply copy it for the Chinook and Boat transports...although im not sure which transports can carry vehicles and I definatly remember APC's carrying multiple units. How many units can they carry, do some units take up more space than others?

2. Factories

Today i coded a simple factory, at the moment it just builds infantry and their free, i still need to implement a menu for the factory so you can decide which unit to build etc. Is there Factories, Airports and Docks? no barracks (i.e infantry are made at the factory)? Also, units you build are only avaliable on your next turn...right?

I would post some screenshots but theres nothing new to see. the APC can be seen in an earlier post and the Factory is simply just a slightly modified building at the moment.

Hope that keeps some of you happy and retains your interest.

Geuben

EDIT: I just speeded up the pathfinding process by removing two FRAME statements (screen updates) that werent actually required, as such the AI vs AI battle now takes only 3:30 instead of the original 10mins! although the AI crashes the program if I include any APC units...I knew it would need tweaking to accept new units though.

Geuben said:

Geuben
NO!, we want betas and demos. So get cracking... :)
Only joking, keep up the updates. Its always good to hear progress is being made.

Im still not sure how to decide when its ready to be in 'beta' stage and thus get outside users to test...all i know is that its definatly not at that stage yet. I could 'possilbly' release a beta of the map editor so you can makes some maps in advance.. but something might have to change to do with the maps which would make all user created one useless.. so i wont be doing that.

The hardest thing about making progress is deciding which bit to tackle next.

Never played the game myself but my brother keeps telling me it's great. So I'll try it out as soon as it's finished.

If you still haven't reached a decision on how to call your game I have some suggestions:
How about...
...Advanced Warfare (my favorite for being close to the original title and yet far enough to make it different)
...Open War/Open Warfare (because gp2x is an open-source console)
...GP War/GP Warfare (no explanation here - it's obvious enough)

So long,
B-Man

UPDATES, YAY! :)

Uh, I recommend that you try Advance Wars 2 somehow, it really helps to understand, how everything works together in such games. :)

Geuben said:
1. Transports.

I've put in a simple APC transport, that can pick up an infantry unit from the squares immediatly up down left right of it, move and unload the unit to a moveable square up down left or right of the APC...thats right isnt it?

So long as that code is right, i can pretty simply copy it for the Chinook and Boat transports...although im not sure which transports can carry vehicles and I definatly remember APC's carrying multiple units. How many units can they carry, do some units take up more space than others?
in AW (1+2):
APC and Transport Copters can carry ONE Infantry Unit (Soldier, Bazooka guys). the LANDER (boat) can carry TWO Ground units, EVERY Ground Unit. So you can carry 4 Units if you load 2 APC's with a Infantry in each. ;)
You can load the Carriers, move them and unload Units in ONE turn. But you cant use the carried units anymore in this turn for actions.
Oh, the Cruisers can carry two Helicopters but I've never need to use this feature. Because of the whole loading/unloading procedure it's faster to move the Helicopters alone.
AFAIK in Advance Wars Dual Strike there also is a huge Aircrafe Carrier that can load every Air Unit.

Geuben said:
2. Factories

Today i coded a simple factory, at the moment it just builds infantry and their free, i still need to implement a menu for the factory so you can decide which unit to build etc. Is there Factories, Airports and Docks? no barracks (i.e infantry are made at the factory)? Also, units you build are only avaliable on your next turn...right?

I would post some screenshots but theres nothing new to see. the APC can be seen in an earlier post and the Factory is simply just a slightly modified building at the moment.

NO Barracks. Factories for each ground Unit, Docks for Ships and Subs and Airports for Aircrafts of course. :) If you want to include Walls and stationary Canons, maybe there could be another Factory but I'm not sure.
Right, you build the Unit in one turn but you can't move it until next turn. If the unit gets attacket, it can defend of course.
In AW2 the Enemy Army "Black Hole" has a Mega Factory that can spit out 3 Units at the same time, EVERY Unit, and they can move these Units in the same turn, really mean! :D (AW2 Also has indestructable Pipes as barrier, Missle Silos you can launch, Huge enemy Cannons and Lasers that must be destroyed -many onscreen Action :D)

Other interesting thing maybe: The order of AI moves in AW is always the same (except first round of course):
1. Capturing Buildings if possible
2. Attack with long range Fire Units
3. Attack with direct Combat Units
4. Move remaining Units if they have to move
5. Build new Units
6. End of turn.
Super Powers are activated at the beginning of the turn or at the end, depending of what the Power does.

P.S.: I'm happy ^_^

Back