Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,058
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
Alex. said:
@fusion_power: Agreed. I didn't think it through properly, shooting under bridges is truly awkward and messy. And yes, the pyramids are just that :)
Yupp. :) The other problem with the bridges is, if you could shoot the creature under AND ontop of the bridge, what does a tower target if there is a creature under and ontop of the bridge at the same time? Would be to confusing I think. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,462
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
I think ive found a bug, sorry if its been reported.
If you put towers right at the exit the tower will shoot, but the target will be fast enough to move back to the start position of the map. The bullet doesnt make it, so it flys back across the map to hit the target near the start.

Also it seems like the scythe doesnt really have much effect. Its neet idea though, seems it needs to be tweaked a bit more.

Also I wondering if people have tried the slow down tower, To me if its placed within a cluster of towers it throws off the damage distrobution and more targets are able to get through. I was also wondering if its supposed to slow down the bosses?
 

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
fusion_power said:
Yupp. :) The other problem with the bridges is, if you could shoot the creature under AND ontop of the bridge, what does a tower target if there is a creature under and ontop of the bridge at the same time? Would be to confusing I think. :)
Well, it would shoot the closest creature in range, but not anymore... the poor creatures finally have a place to hide now :D

Pickle said:
I think ive found a bug, sorry if its been reported.
If you put towers right at the exit the tower will shoot, but the target will be fast enough to move back to the start position of the map. The bullet doesnt make it, so it flys back across the map to hit the target near the start.
Ouch, I thought I fixed that bug in 1.3A, but it looks like I overlooked something. Thanks for letting me know Pickle :)

Pickle said:
Also it seems like the scythe doesnt really have much effect. Its neet idea though, seems it needs to be tweaked a bit more.

Also I wondering if people have tried the slow down tower, To me if its placed within a cluster of towers it throws off the damage distrobution and more targets are able to get through. I was also wondering if its supposed to slow down the bosses

As it is right now, the Scythe only has a big effect in the middle waves. Both it and the Trapper will have multiple shots via upgrades in 1.4, which should make them more effective. The Trapper does not affect bosses right now, but it will in 1.4 :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Messages
2,229
Age
37
Location
Innsmouth, MA
Hi,

I finally completed Sqdef Classic yesterday, with a gold medal in every map :)

ZacajPac: 8 maps out of 9 in gold
RampartsPack: 1 / 9
One-Point-Two: 15 / 20
Norm's Pak: 3 / 5
MazePak: not tried yet :)

@ Alex: thanks for this wonderful game, I can't wait to play 1.4 :) Keep up the good work !

Bye, Magic Sam
 

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Messages
2,229
Age
37
Location
Innsmouth, MA
Gruntfuggly said:
Congrats!
Thanks :)
QUOTE

Do you mean gold or champ? What version are you using?


I meant gold medal only, as I never tried to beat the 60 waves yet ;) And I'm using Sqdef 1.3A
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Messages
2,229
Age
37
Location
Innsmouth, MA
I just gave 60 waves a go on Sqdef Classic's "Complicated Ways", and I died after wave 51 on my first try :) It seems to be quite challenging, and I like that :)
 

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,462
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
I dont know if this idea has been thought about, but maybe adding a experience system. Where the upgradable towers will increase in levels as they kill targets. This would give a reason for keeping towers around.
After the second wave group does it make sense to use any of the first set of towers?
 

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Pickle said:
I dont know if this idea has been thought about, but maybe adding a experience system. Where the upgradable towers will increase in levels as they kill targets. This would give a reason for keeping towers around.
After the second wave group does it make sense to use any of the first set of towers?
The Fire Turret is still very powerful and has the highest range, and the Earth and Ice will each get a nice research option in 1.4 :) The experience system with automatic upgrades sounds very nice, thanks for the idea!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,462
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
Alex. said:
Pickle said:
I dont know if this idea has been thought about, but maybe adding a experience system. Where the upgradable towers will increase in levels as they kill targets. This would give a reason for keeping towers around.
After the second wave group does it make sense to use any of the first set of towers?
The Fire Turret is still very powerful and has the highest range, and the Earth and Ice will each get a nice research option in 1.4 :) The experience system with automatic upgrades sounds very nice, thanks for the idea!
No problem anything to make it even better. Thanks for creating such an addictive game. :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,058
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
Pickle said:
After the second wave group does it make sense to use any of the first set of towers?
I've beaten wave 60 with a map full of Fire turrets. ;) Supported by a Scythe+Trappers and many booster buildings. Not easy and not possible at every map but nice to watch onscreen when so many Fire turrets start to rule. :D

I don't use Ice or Earth turrets anymore and the Water Turret only as starters, but like Alex wrote, there could be more usage in 1.4 for these smaller Turrets Turrets. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Back from the dead ^_^

I was thinking of limiting the number of extra lives that you can buy, maybe only 10 or so. Their price would still increase as the game progresses, and there would be a little number on the square icon that would indicate how many there are left.

I know some of you beat 60 waves on many maps, about how many extra lives did you have to buy, on average?
 

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,058
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
Alex. said:
Back from the dead ^_^

I was thinking of limiting the number of extra lives that you can buy, maybe only 10 or so. Their price would still increase as the game progresses, and there would be a little number on the square icon that would indicate how many there are left.

I know some of you beat 60 waves on many maps, about how many extra lives did you have to buy, on average?
I can tell you, I've needed over 100 Lives sometimes! ;) 10 Lives is nothing - it all depends of the type of Map (and the way how dou you play) And I don't speak about multi-path maps.
I would recommend to spend more time in a perfect overall balance, the last release felt not 100% polished in this point. :) Some rough and sharp "edges" interrupt the "feeling" of a perfect balance from time to time, hard to describe. For Example, sometimes I think that the balance between building numbers and Map size is not good, we need to much Factories that waste valuable building space, sometimes the balance between cost and efficience of a building feels not right etc... Maybe the factories could be produce a bounus, if we set 4 together? So we don't need that much factories at all?

Uh, by the way, you really need time for the new version, are these Bridges that hard to code? ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Hi fusion, thanks for your reply.

fusion_power said:
I can tell you, I've needed over 100 Lives sometimes! ;) 10 Lives is nothing - it all depends of the type of Map (and the way how dou you play) And I don't speak about multi-path maps.
Alright then, they'll stay as they are. Maybe they just need to be more expensive ;)

fusion_power said:
I would recommend to spend more time in a perfect overall balance, the last release felt not 100% polished in this point. :) Some rough and sharp "edges" interrupt the "feeling" of a perfect balance from time to time, hard to describe. For Example, sometimes I think that the balance between building numbers and Map size is not good, we need to much Factories that waste valuable building space, sometimes the balance between cost and efficience of a building feels not right etc... Maybe the factories could be produce a bounus, if we set 4 together? So we don't need that much factories at all?
1.4 will introduce the last new features, and 1.5 will come in with the final & refined balance (though I'm working to improve the balance for 1.4 as well). And don't worry about building spaces, factories are upgradeable too now!

fusion_power said:
Uh, by the way, you really need time for the new version, are these Bridges that hard to code? ;)
Shouldn't be too long until the beta goes out to the testers who are interested :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Messages
2,229
Age
37
Location
Innsmouth, MA
Hi,
Alex. said:
Shouldn't be too long until the beta goes out to the testers who are interested :)
Magic Sam stands up and waves his hand ;)
Bye !
 
Last edited by a moderator:

felgekarp

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
2
Hi, sorry for bumping this thread but I've only just picked up a GP2X and this is the game I've been playing the most, I'm just wondering if someone can give me some general tips as I can't seem to make it past 25 ish levels at the most, I've mainly been starting off with a few basic towers and then trying to build up some super towers, the ones where you put 4 together, but this game just seems to be owning me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
 

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Hi felgekarp,

Glad you like Sqdef :) Here are the first tips that come to mind:
  • Upgrade Colonies instead of buying new ones, upgrades are cheaper. (colonies are the $20-giving factories)
  • Research Ice Pick as soon as possible (this boosts Ice Turret's strength considerably, research Fire Starter later when you can afford it)
  • Exploit automatic upgrades, don't upgrade turrets to more than Level 4 (second-last level, 4 dots)
  • Each turret/tower has a specific creature on which it does +50% damage. Use that to your advantage - the high-end turrets (Ice, Fire) and low-end towers (Barricade, Split Barricade) cover the entire range of creature types, so build diversely between these four. The vulnerable creature is shown in the HUD when you select a new building, or in the top-left corner of the screen when you put the cursor over an existing building.
  • The Quad towers are powerful, but they don't have the +50% creature damage, so you shouldn't build them exclusively

Fusion_power wrote this helpful post in another thread:

fusion_power said:
Hm, I've never used this new Auto-Update feature. Maybe, because I build only a few turrets at the beginning and do a full update, I should try to build more turrets with less updates, maybe a better way for multi-path maps. :lol:

Another hints to survive till Level 60
-avoid multi-Path maps
-play maps with alot "U-turns" (mostly all of MY maps :D )
-spend every free Dollar in Colonies and update them first, then buy new ones. If you make enough money with Colonies (at least 1000 each round), spend the money and buy Depots. Keep the money under 3000 or so, so the Depots stay at $280. Wait for a fat enemy, then sell ALL Colonies, have at least $6000 or more Money left and at least 25 depots, after killing the Enemy, the depots make the money explode after a few waves. :D Before the enemy dies, you still can buy Depots for $280, the price rises only after the enemy has died. Don't buy Depots after the money-explosion.
With only Depots, you should keep the money over 10000 and more each wave, never buy more Towers than you need. better loose some lives, they are cheap and can buyed later when you have more money.

This tactic may not work on maps with small building space.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

felgekarp

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
2
Alex,

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that you could upgrade the colonies so that's definitely something I'll be doing from now on, money always did seem to be a bit tight.
 
Top