Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,058
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
Alex. said:
Time for a micro-poll once again :)

In maps that have multiple paths, should the enemy herd break up and each creature choose a random path, or should it march as a whole like it does in the current game?

I personally think it would be more interesting to have it break up, it would also be better for the player since it would encourage building towers uniformly along all paths. I could also make it a mix of both worlds, where most of the herd chooses a particular path, and one or two creatures decide to stray...

1.4 is getting closer :)


It would be the best solution if you include a Option screen where we can set the Multi-Path break on or off. ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tobriand

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
4,071
Age
34
Location
Croydon (UK)
Website
Visit site
I thought I'd already replied to this, but eveidently it didn't get registered.

Basically, whilst I'd like them to split apart, I think it would potentially harm your ability to survive the earlier levels unless there is a slight bias in money earned to help pay for extra towers/turrets earlier on.

Incidentally, only just discovered that four one-shot barricades combine to that mega-split one. Still need to work out if it's better than four outposts, though; still unsure on that...
 

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Gruntfuggly said:
That's an interesting suggestion - how about making them split, but providing a new tower which goes in the path and allows you to control the direction they take? It would have to be expensive, but would make it interesting... it could maybe have a limited number of uses, but could be recharged at a price...
Sounds nice, but I'm not planning on making any new towers. More research options for existing ones, though :)

fusion_power said:
It would be the best solution if you include a Option screen where we can set the Multi-Path break on or off. ;)
And a cheat menu too. No, seriously :D

Tobriand said:
I thought I'd already replied to this, but eveidently it didn't get registered.

Basically, whilst I'd like them to split apart, I think it would potentially harm your ability to survive the earlier levels unless there is a slight bias in money earned to help pay for extra towers/turrets earlier on.
That's an interesting idea. I could put in a fixed bonus based on how many paths exist, that's given after each wave. Since it would be a fixed amount, it would mean a lot in the beginning but be negligible in the later game.

Tobriand said:
Incidentally, only just discovered that four one-shot barricades combine to that mega-split one. Still need to work out if it's better than four outposts, though; still unsure on that...
Any combination of barricades into a 2x2 square will work :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
1,486
Location
Brighton, UK
Website
www.zaonce.com
Tobriand said:
Incidentally, only just discovered that four one-shot barricades combine to that mega-split one. Still need to work out if it's better than four outposts, though; still unsure on that...
:D It's definitely better - and you can upgrade the mega towers too...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Alex. said:
Tobriand said:
I thought I'd already replied to this, but eveidently it didn't get registered.

Basically, whilst I'd like them to split apart, I think it would potentially harm your ability to survive the earlier levels unless there is a slight bias in money earned to help pay for extra towers/turrets earlier on.
That's an interesting idea. I could put in a fixed bonus based on how many paths exist, that's given after each wave. Since it would be a fixed amount, it would mean a lot in the beginning but be negligible in the later game.

Or maybe the herd would choose one path, except for 2 or 3 creatures which would stray, and killing those would earn you twice the money :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,058
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
fusion_power said:
It would be the best solution if you include a Option screen where we can set the Multi-Path break on or off. ;)
And a cheat menu too. No, seriously :D

Uh, I meant this serious. :blink: I want to try booth variants, Split-creatures and one big creature Wave. Of course booth needs different scoring but why not? Maybe there could be a Building that can split Waves on Multi-Path Maps or so, I don't know.
I wouldn't call it cheating. ^_^
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tobriand

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
4,071
Age
34
Location
Croydon (UK)
Website
Visit site
Definitely a good point re: fixed points bonus.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that, because of the way credits eventually cascade in SqDef, early bonuses do have immense knock-on effects later.

As a side note, has anyone else nticed that money tends to have about three distinct possible routes in SqDef? Either it cascades - once you've managed to survive a wave starting at 13000 with ~25 1% factories, this tends to be the case. Or it just peters out (and you die, generally, since it's hard to afford extra lives). Or it begins to cascade and then tails off towards the end making the game rather hard. Usually it seems to depend almost entirely on just how early you try and trigger a cascade (i.e. finish three waves without buying anything whilst in posession of 20-25 +1% factories and starting at at least 1000).

But the really interesting thing is the possibility of jump-starting a cascade by selling your 1% factories. How? Well, their cost is based on the quantity of credits you start your buying phase with. That means their selling price is gradually rocketting as long as you sell them pre-emptively. In particular, if you find you've spent too much (say, your credits were at 11000 at start of buying phase, are now at 7000 and you foresee spending 4000 for the next two waves, whether on guns or lives), you can sensibly sell, say, six of your super-factories and boost yourself back over the threshold to cascade; if you still have ~20 relevant factories, you'll still get a bonus of ~2700 plus whatever killing the enemies gave you. Which puts you (temporarily) in a much better position to survive.

Most of the time this fails, but it's kept me alive (just) to the end of 45 waves a couple of times now.
 

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Bridges are happening! :)


(more map previews right here)

This will really open up map design possibilities, will be a lot of fun to play with :)
 

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,058
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
Alex. said:
Bridges are happening! :)


(more map previews right here)

This will really open up map design possibilities, will be a lot of fun to play with :)



Love you! :D
Looks very good, with the slightly "shadows" of the bridges the path is very clear to see, good solved. The Pattern of the Map looks interesting, maybe a little bit to much but it doesn't matter as long the buildings are clearly visible.
Do the Towers only shoot the creatures ontop of the Bridges? And what are these Pyramid Shapes?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Glad you like it :)

fusion_power said:
Do the Towers only shoot the creatures ontop of the Bridges?
No, they shoot the ones under the bridges too, I think it would be too hard otherwise. Maybe creatures should only take 75% damage while being hidden?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,058
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
Alex. said:
Glad you like it :)

fusion_power said:
Do the Towers only shoot the creatures ontop of the Bridges?
No, they shoot the ones under the bridges too, I think it would be too hard otherwise. Maybe creatures should only take 75% damage while being hidden?

With Bridges you can have 360° "Islands" where Towers can shoot much longer becasue the wave has to go the full way around the towers. Should be neutralize the no-shoot-under-bride-problem...maybe? :) Has to be tested of course.
I just can't imagine how a Tower can shoot creatures under a bridge :lol:

Oh, the Pyramids are no-building areas right? ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tobriand

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2002
Messages
4,071
Age
34
Location
Croydon (UK)
Website
Visit site
Awesome! Celtic knot levels, here I come!

Just had another idea too, which may or may not be feasable, fun, or what have you (in particular it might not fit on the screen, but with pridges it becomes certainly more sensible than previously).

Specifically: multiple entry points, each with their own direction of flow.
Possible extension: Each wave can be from one or both directions, indicated by a change of colour of the entry arrows.

Uses: Slightly more bizarre bridge-based maps; suddenly your turrets are divided in a slightly different way to previously, in particular, interlocking (as opposed to interweaving) paths become a possibility. The resulting gameplay would probably be not dissimilar to multiple possible paths on those levels where that's proposed, but perhaps would play slightly differently, and certainly allow for some previously impossible artistic implementations.

Just some thoughts for an Escher wannabe :)
 

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
Tobriand said:
Awesome! Celtic knot levels, here I come!

Just had another idea too, which may or may not be feasable, fun, or what have you (in particular it might not fit on the screen, but with pridges it becomes certainly more sensible than previously).

Specifically: multiple entry points, each with their own direction of flow.
Possible extension: Each wave can be from one or both directions, indicated by a change of colour of the entry arrows.
Ah, layered roads that can visit each others' planes :) That's a very playful idea that I'll put to good use in a future game I hope to make; I planned for separate roads, but never thought of interlocking them. However, this iss beyond where I want to take Sqdef (at least for now).

@fusion_power: Agreed. I didn't think it through properly, shooting under bridges is truly awkward and messy. And yes, the pyramids are just that :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top