Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

1.3 will have two new buildings (a factory and a tower) that will help you get through the harder waves :)

fusion: they always take the shorter way because the path finding does not allow creatures to pass over the same tile twice. A bridge would indeed make sense here, 1.4 methinks.

Alex. said:
1.3 will have two new buildings (a factory and a tower) that will help you get through the harder waves :)

fusion: they always take the shorter way because the path finding does not allow creatures to pass over the same tile twice. A bridge would indeed make sense here, 1.4 methinks.
Aww, I've counted 1.3 with Bridge. ;)
Well, The best reason for the bride is, you can have junctions in a single path Map and creature overlapping is not a problem anymore. Could generate very interesting Levels. :)

Can you give us more infos about the new factory and the new Tower? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a idea for another tower defense type game; (It'll work here though)

A Gatling Gun.

It starts firing at a ROF of 450rpm~ but keeps getting faster the longer it stays on target. (one target at a time*)
However its not 100% accurate, so any Vectroids nearby the one getting shot at might get hit.

Otherwise keep up the good work :)

(perhaps a module player for music someday...)

Hi,

I just checked Alex's website and Sqdef 1.3 is ready...BUT...the Archive still points to 1.2A :(

I can't wait to try this new version :)

Bye, Magic Sam

fusion_power said:
HEY, ALEX! :D

It's Mockup-Time:

That looks incredible! Reason enough for me to hurry up learning some 3D :D

Good Idea. ;) The Pandora needs a 3D Tower-Defense Game. Maybe not with the minimalistic 2D SQDef graphic style but something more "realistic"? Middle-Age/Fantasy setting would be cool. ^_^
Well, I've never played a 3D TD game (if this even exists) but I think this game principe could work in 3D to.

fusion_power said:
Good Idea. ;) The Pandora needs a 3D Tower-Defense Game. Maybe not with the minimalistic 2D SQDef graphic style but something more "realistic"? Middle-Age/Fantasy setting would be cool. ^_^
Well, I've never played a 3D TD game (if this even exists) but I think this game principe could work in 3D to.
http://www.master-of-defense.com/

I still think 2D has a lot of life left in it, especially on powerful platforms where you can have some epic stuff going on :) Of course certain genres like racers and first person shooters naturally benefit from it, but strategy, space shooter, and platform games I like better in 2D :)

I wonder if a 3D version of SqDef could make sensible use of Paper-Mario-esque perspectice shifting, with a map having one strategy in 2D and another in 3D?

That said, SqDef as a 2D game is about as good as can be (barring even more innovations and gameplay tweaks), and there'd be nothing wrong with a 3D version of exactly the same game. I imagine it would feel a bit like Darwinia, which can only be a good thing...

quasist said:
fusion_power said:
I've never played a 3D TD game (if this even exists)
WCIII:TFT

I've never played Warcraft 3. :D

Alex. said:
I still think 2D has a lot of life left in it, especially on powerful platforms where you can have some epic stuff going on :) Of course certain genres like racers and first person shooters naturally benefit from it, but strategy, space shooter, and platform games I like better in 2D :)
True. I never was a Fan of 3D "Sonic the Hedgehog" Games, I only like the 2D ones, still great Pixel-graphics. :)

Hi,

@ Alex:

Just an idea: when I play Sqdef I sometimes need to select a tower to see if it fits / will fit well in my whole defense scheme, I mean, is there enough room on the map here for it, will it be within reach of that upgrade, etc. But I can't do it, because at that moment I can't afford that tower. So here is my idea: could you make all the towers to be "selectable", but put the ones that one can't afford yet in light grey with transparency, like a ghost tower ? This way one could plan a winning strategy from the beginning of the game :) You pick up an unaffordable tower, move it around the map to see how you could use it, cancel your choice and go back to the towers you can afford...

And another idea while I'm here: could you add a new option when one sell something: YES / NO / ALL, where ALL would sell all the items of a same type. I sometimes spend ages selling all my colonies in the end of a game to buy some lives and stay alive :)

I hope my post was clear enough :)

Thanks & Bye, Magic Sam

Hi Magic Sam,

Thanks for the ideas, I'll include them in 1.4 to be released sometime this summer. Stay tuned :)

Time for a micro-poll once again :)

In maps that have multiple paths, should the enemy herd break up and each creature choose a random path, or should it march as a whole like it does in the current game?

I personally think it would be more interesting to have it break up, it would also be better for the player since it would encourage building towers uniformly along all paths. I could also make it a mix of both worlds, where most of the herd chooses a particular path, and one or two creatures decide to stray...

1.4 is getting closer :)

That's an interesting suggestion - how about making them split, but providing a new tower which goes in the path and allows you to control the direction they take? It would have to be expensive, but would make it interesting... it could maybe have a limited number of uses, but could be recharged at a price...

Back