My Advance Wars Game

Now, not to painfully add a level of complexity to this project, but what are the chances of incorporating the touchscreen functionality? not replacing the traditional controls, but adding the option to use the stylus to move the cursor, maybe holding down the right shoulder button to "right click"

just a thought, and would add a level that's currently unavailable.

It's not dead, just on hold. I've got too much uni work on at the moment which is taking up a lot of my time and as two of my projects are coding ones, I don't really have any enthusiasm to make progress on this game at the moment.

That's life - you have to deal with the priorities.

I for one hope you have time and enthusiasm to return to this - maybe in the summer, eh?

Geuben said:
It's not dead, just on hold. I've got too much uni work on at the moment which is taking up a lot of my time and as two of my projects are coding ones, I don't really have any enthusiasm to make progress on this game at the moment.
Maybe you can solve this by the new business-trend called "OUTSOURCING"? :D Maybe someone here with skill and time could do a little bit of the coding work to support you?

Last edited by a moderator:
what a pity! it seems to be a nice game.

Sharing the source with the community may be the solution to restart and add a new sight to this project

I'm a fan of strategy games and I like the game and the graphics. I hope you have success with your work at the university, because the studies are the first. But our gamer side sends you a lot of energy and illusion for see your game someday in our loved consoles.

Good job and greetings :rolleyes:

Well, I had my last exam yesterday and now have the next 2 weeks off before lectures. One of those weeks is specifically to allow us time to work on our projects so will probably be busy that week, I think I might take a bash at doing some more on this in this coming week though. Might even start now! I'll have to get my head around the code again (haven't looked at it in a while) and create a new list of what needs doing.

There are still a huge amount of sprites to be drawn and as I've already said (and is evident from the images in the first few posts) I'm not very good at drawing nice sprites. I don't know what happened to Pixitu, I haven't spoke to him since he fell out with me and it appears he's not been online since November.

Anyway, I'll take a look at it now and possibly give you guys an update a little later on to inform you of my progress, if any.

Geuben

fusion_power said:
Maybe the story mode could be made after the core game is ready? For the beginning I would be glad with a few "vs." maps against a AI, some good balanced Units and a nice editor. :)
Agree completely. This looks exactly like what I'd want on my 2x, and the nice thing with these kind of homebrew stuff is that it can be released in stages :)

I also would be glad to see some kind of replay function into the Game, so we could share our replays and see, how other Users play the game and use different tactics. ^_^

That actually is a brilliant idea. That and a map editor - possibly as a standalone app, or if the map is using a simple format they could even be edited by text editor - and we could have challenge of the month and stuff like that. If this gets done (and I'm very much cheering for it getting done - Is there anything I can do to help, just tell me), I foresee nice community possibilities with something like this.

Moxie said:
snip...

That actually is a brilliant idea. That and a map editor - possibly as a standalone app, or if the map is using a simple format they could even be edited by text editor - and we could have challenge of the month and stuff like that. If this gets done (and I'm very much cheering for it getting done - Is there anything I can do to help, just tell me), I foresee nice community possibilities with something like this.
I've been developing the map editor along with the game, it will be built in but there no reason I can't release is as a separate program too. I'm not entirely sure how I would go about the replay function, but i'll look into it.

Ok time for a bit of an update and.....some screenshots! (not many though)

I've been working on the menu for building units in the factory, It's pretty much done just needs to be integrated into the main program and the graphics made a bit more pretty, no screenshot of this as it's just a white box with images of the units in and thier cost. I'm debating whether or not to add a further screen into the menu which show's you the attributes of each unit before you buy it. What do you think?

Other than that I've tweaked a few little things that I'd noticed weren't working as they were supposed to. Here are some screenshots of some menus and on-screen displays I made a while back but don't think I got around to posting.

9c9478eff7.jpg

Screenshot of the main menu, the items loop with the current selected one always being in the middle and slightly larger. The background will eventually be filled with animated units on a scrolling field, either in battle or made to look like a military base or something (a bit like the main menu on CnC Generals)

c114ef1da6.jpg

The skirmish player select screen, the grey area will contain images of the different players etc.

9a86b794bc.jpg
2113759e12.jpg

Two screens of the main in game on screen displays, these slide in and out and swap positions to avoid getting in your way.

So, what do you think? Hope you like the progress. I'm going to get back on with the factory menu now I think.

Geuben said:
Moxie said:
snip...

I've been developing the map editor along with the game, it will be built in but there no reason I can't release is as a separate program too. I'm not entirely sure how I would go about the replay function, but i'll look into it.

Ok time for a bit of an update and.....some screenshots! (not many though)

I've been working on the menu for building units in the factory, It's pretty much done just needs to be integrated into the main program and the graphics made a bit more pretty, no screenshot of this as it's just a white box with images of the units in and thier cost. I'm debating whether or not to add a further screen into the menu which show's you the attributes of each unit before you buy it. What do you think?

Other than that I've tweaked a few little things that I'd noticed weren't working as they were supposed to. Here are some screenshots of some menus and on-screen displays I made a while back but don't think I got around to posting.

9c9478eff7.jpg

Screenshot of the main menu, the items loop with the current selected one always being in the middle and slightly larger. The background will eventually be filled with animated units on a scrolling field, either in battle or made to look like a military base or something (a bit like the main menu on CnC Generals)

c114ef1da6.jpg

The skirmish player select screen, the grey area will contain images of the different players etc.

9a86b794bc.jpg
2113759e12.jpg

Two screens of the main in game on screen displays, these slide in and out and swap positions to avoid getting in your way.

So, what do you think? Hope you like the progress. I'm going to get back on with the factory menu now I think.

The text for 'blue logo' and 'red logo' is too close to the edge of the window.

The tile for the mountin(assuming tile 4-5 is a mountain) could be a lot better.

The menus look good ;)

I thought it was pretty obvious that it's not goin to say "blue logo" and "red logo", those are just place holders.....i guess i was mistaken.

the mountain (along will a lot of the sprites) will be improved.

I wasn't here for a quite while so I missed the last developments. But I still want to see this project happen. Very nice Menu-style and small things like swapping ingame displays are a good decission. I miss something like a grid onto the last Screenshots but I think this will come later.
Again, I always like games with ingame Map Editors. :) Sadly, ther is no easy to use AI-Editor so we could train our little Units to act like real, clever Pro-Players...
I often made clever Waypoints for some custom Half-Life Bots but I know you cant simply make a waypoint based AI for an AW game, here a chess AI is the better solution I think.

Its kinda depressing the time it takes for these things, It's been months since anyone's posted anything on this, even my little "bump" here asking for an update is months late...

Hope Geuben is still at it, looks incredible already, with a couple more sprites packed into it, it looks like it's ready to play...

Just wish it was :D

Archarzel said:
Its kinda depressing the time it takes for these things, It's been months since anyone's posted anything on this, even my little "bump" here asking for an update is months late...

Hope Geuben is still at it, looks incredible already, with a couple more sprites packed into it, it looks like it's ready to play...

Just wish it was :D
Just because it looks ready doesn't mean it is ready... there are plenty of things going on beneath the GFX side of things and many bugs that may need fixing... This is why I still haven't released an updated to CromoZome...
Real life an take it's toll on homebrew development as there sometimes isn't enough time left over to carry on developing your game. Some weeks are like this for me others go a bit better. I just hope this project does carry on since I like me some advance wars :p

Hi guys,

So I thought I'd post here to give you an update as to why no progress has been made since February (I didn't even realise it had been that long).

Well, back in Feb I was preparing for/doing some university exams so didn't really have time to work on the game, after that most of my time was taken up with my uni final year project. As this was also programming based (I as part of a group made a multitouch surface computer and I programmed some apps) I didn't really have the motivation to do more programming in any free time I had.

I then graduated this summer and thus had to find a job, anyone who has tried to find a graduate job during this recession will know how demotivating the process is, so that really killed any hope of making progress over the summer.

In September I was offered a job, took it and started at the beginning of October, I'm now 3 weeks in and still living in temporary accommodation (a B&B) as I'm struggling to find a reasonable place to live, as such I only have my netbook with my and that has none of my files for programming the game etc.

So yeah there you have it, I hope that's a good enough explanation of why no progress has been made. I do want to finish the game and will try and resume programming it as soon as I find somewhere to live and have my desktop with me.

As for details on the game itself, it's far from finished, but at the same time it isn't really. Once ive added all the units and finished the menus and controls for building units etc then I could release it for test and as a PvP game. The AI needs a lot of improvement before I could release it as a PvCPU game though.

The main thing that's holding me back (and that kills a lot of motivation) is how much I suck at drawing and more importantly animating sprites. Pixitu's sprites look awesome and it's a shame he wont be making any more.

If anyone is good at that sort of thing and is willing to make more sprites and animate them then their help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the support, I hope I can get this game finished so you guys can play it.

Geuben

Geuben said:
Hi guys,

So I thought I'd post here to give you an update as to why no progress has been made since February (I didn't even realise it had been that long).

Well, back in Feb I was preparing for/doing some university exams so didn't really have time to work on the game, after that most of my time was taken up with my uni final year project. As this was also programming based (I as part of a group made a multitouch surface computer and I programmed some apps) I didn't really have the motivation to do more programming in any free time I had.

I then graduated this summer and thus had to find a job, anyone who has tried to find a graduate job during this recession will know how demotivating the process is, so that really killed any hope of making progress over the summer.

In September I was offered a job, took it and started at the beginning of October, I'm now 3 weeks in and still living in temporary accommodation (a B& B) as I'm struggling to find a reasonable place to live, as such I only have my netbook with my and that has none of my files for programming the game etc.

So yeah there you have it, I hope that's a good enough explanation of why no progress has been made. I do want to finish the game and will try and resume programming it as soon as I find somewhere to live and have my desktop with me.

As for details on the game itself, it's far from finished, but at the same time it isn't really. Once ive added all the units and finished the menus and controls for building units etc then I could release it for test and as a PvP game. The AI needs a lot of improvement before I could release it as a PvCPU game though.

The main thing that's holding me back (and that kills a lot of motivation) is how much I suck at drawing and more importantly animating sprites. Pixitu's sprites look awesome and it's a shame he wont be making any more.

If anyone is good at that sort of thing and is willing to make more sprites and animate them then their help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the support, I hope I can get this game finished so you guys can play it.

Geuben
I completely empathise with you... I'm still stuck in the looking for a job mode of things myself... still working in a bar... very very demotivating. Hope things settle down for you so you find some time to code again! ;)

Back