Nds Emulation

TheLonelyGod said:
Well to begin my comparison i would bring to light that all i need to emulate, listen to music, watch video and do pda stuff is on the thing as i buy it. I don't need to go buy an extra confusing generation 3 flash cart.
Actually, it's much easier than you think. It involves copying a few files to (usually) a microSD/SDHC card, popping it in, and powering on.

Last edited by a moderator:
well you have to buy them sepratly. That and my ds broke and i'm not under waranty anymore.

Gruso said:
I'm sure there'd be sufficient grunt not only to run the DS emu, but to run the DS iPod emu within that, which of course would be running iPod Linux, allowing it to play Mario via a Gameboy emu. MARIO.
Emulation Overload.
overload-your-trailer.jpg

TheLonelyGod said:
well you have to buy them sepratly. That and my ds broke and i'm not under waranty anymore.
One, you're not informed about the PassMe card scene at all. It's not confusing in the slightest, all new cards are DLDI patched, and ready to go, using a drag and drop system, and sporting full compatibility with ROMs. You buy one thing separately, hardly rocket science either. Two, what does your DS braking have to do with the comparison to the Pandora? Doesn't make it any better or worse. Not to mention a DS is cheap as chips.

danostrife said:
TheLonelyGod said:
One, you're not informed about the PassMe card scene at all. It's not confusing in the slightest, all new cards are DLDI patched, and ready to go, using a drag and drop system, and sporting full compatibility with ROMs. You buy one thing separately, hardly rocket science either. Two, what does your DS braking have to do with the comparison to the Pandora? Doesn't make it any better or worse. Not to mention a DS is cheap as chips.

Yeah, and nobody needs more than a bunch of silly games and only 256x382 pixels :rolleyes: , oh besides an illegal expensive piece of hardware to make it mildly useful. ppfft.

Hardly rocket science, how about using a platform that Wants you to be on it, and has some resolution.

nubie said:
Yeah, and nobody needs more than a bunch of silly games and only 256x382 pixels :rolleyes: , oh besides an illegal expensive piece of hardware to make it mildly useful. ppfft.

Hardly rocket science, how about using a platform that Wants you to be on it, and has some resolution.
It's actually 256x192 (x2), or 256x384 and that's plenty good enough for what it's used for (mainly 2D games). A DS is much more than mildly useful even without homebrew because it has many high quality games that are definately worth picking up. Why else would people want DS emulation?

Expensive? A slot-1 card costs around $40-55, and you can pick up a microSD for next to nothing.
Illegal? No. ROMs on the other hand...

And running your own code on a closed device only adds an extra layer of fun to it ;D (not that the opennes of pandora will make it boring to program for, it's one hell of a powerhouse)

nubie said:
danostrife said:
TheLonelyGod said:

technically its as legal as any other emulator, though everyone knows thats bs.
and its two 256x382 pixels, so thats something.
it has a pretty good amount of usefulness, playing genesis, NDS, movies, music, GBA, wifi browser, and free ware like quake seems like a pretty good deal for 40$.
of course this will all change when the Pandora comes out (save!), but saying that paying 40$ for a system you may already own is hardly a bad idea.

Shiny said:
nubie said:

It's actually 256x192 (x2), or 256x384 and that's plenty good enough for what it's used for (mainly 2D games). A DS is much more than mildly useful even without homebrew because it has many high quality games that are definately worth picking up. Why else would people want DS emulation?

Expensive? A slot-1 card costs around $40-55, and you can pick up a microSD for next to nothing.

And running your own code on a closed device only adds an extra layer of fun to it ;D (not that the opennes of pandora will make it boring to program for, it's one hell of a powerhouse)

Silly games? Yeah, Zelda, Prof. Layton, Hotel Dusk, silly games. Indeed.

Sorry, I spend more time playing games then caring about pixels, considering I'm a gamer and all.

Which part is expensive? The DS at a whooping total of £90 (the Pandora is a fortune compared anyway!) or the PassMe card, the recent, and possibly best on the market, costing you a total of £12. Again, less than the Pandora combined. Not expensive in the slightest.

What is illegal about it? There has never been anything illegal about these cards, it's what you do with them. Much like P2P networks, much like VCRs, much like CD burners. Hell, even the content isn't illegal, providing you own it.

Does the DS not want all of its 45.97 million users? I'm not even sure what that comment meant. Whilst the Pandora will be great, it's no competitor, much like the GP2X isn't. Completely different things.

Well, downloading it is still illegal even if you own it. Copying it yourself, however, is perfectly legal. Distributing it...no :p

I remember hearing about one of the crazy government organizations (I always mix up the acronyms) saying how they wanted to make copying CDs onto MP3 Players illegal because you were still copying the content.

I believe the distributing of it is illegal, but the downloading isn't.

That'll be the RIAA, the chief anti-piracy music group in America. They however, are not a governmental organisation.

Shiny said:

danostrife said:
Silly games? Yeah, Zelda, Prof. Layton, Hotel Dusk, silly games. Indeed.

Sorry, I spend more time playing games then caring about pixels, considering I'm a gamer and all.

Which part is expensive? The DS at a whooping total of £90 (the Pandora is a fortune compared anyway!) or the PassMe card, the recent, and possibly best on the market, costing you a total of £12. Again, less than the Pandora combined. Not expensive in the slightest.

What is illegal about it? There has never been anything illegal about these cards, it's what you do with them. Much like P2P networks, much like VCRs, much like CD burners. Hell, even the content isn't illegal, providing you own it.

Does the DS not want all of its 45.97 million users? I'm not even sure what that comment meant. Whilst the Pandora will be great, it's no competitor, much like the GP2X isn't. Completely different things.
Cut: I much prefer a computer to a game device, so I personally prefer a GP2X, I have bought one for much less than a Used (scratched) DS and the Passme.

squeakypants said:
Well, downloading it is still illegal even if you own it. Copying it yourself, however, is perfectly legal. Distributing it...no :p

I remember hearing about one of the crazy government organizations (I always mix up the acronyms) saying how they wanted to make copying CDs onto MP3 Players illegal because you were still copying the content.
To my knowledge downloading it isn't illegal if you own an original. For instance in Australia you are allowed to have a burnt copy of a video game if you own the original. It is classified as a 'backup.'

I think I might email someone about it to find out, just to be sure (I do this a lot).

No nerve, it's just slightly irritating when someone who evidently doesn't know what they're talking about, claims they do.

You can't afford £100 at best, yet you can for a £200 Pandora? Right...

I was talking about the DS Lite, brand new, it's £90. What does the DS Phat have to do with anything?

So you don't see how a actual games console, with commercial games monthly, far beyond what's available on the GP2X, at £90, is cheap? Do you actually like video games?

Not as stupid as your argument, I must say. You're trying to make out like it renders your DS into a Nomad. The 'adaptor' is a DS card, exactly the same as a commercial game. And why do you even mention the SDs? You buy a 2 gig mini SD card, there won't be much cramming, considering a DS game at best, is 120mb.

But again, you try to claim the GP2X is in the same league as the DS. It's not, and neither is the Pandora. Spec wise of course, but I'm talking about in the games market. Which is, you know, the whole point of these consoles.

Why would a handheld games console, it's primary feature being to, guess what, play games, need a keyboard, please explain to me. That's like me throwing a strop 'cause my car doesn't want to boil me a cup of tea. Whilst I understand the GP2X and the Pandora are beyond being just handhelds, the DS isn't, and no one has claimed otherwise. It has however, gained browsers and emulators, which have been wicked.

Had to work out what 'one' is, but since you're referring to the DS, I have a better suggestion than eBay. There are these things called shops, that will give you a brand new DS Lite. I suggest you try them, they won't tend to have scratches on them. So you got £90. 'Don't forget to add the PassMe card and memory'. Okay, I'll add that heaving £18/$36 to the total. £108 altogether. Fortune.

Mega CD? I am happy to proclaim my allegiance to SEGA, but you happen to pick one of the shittiest consoles ever made. It has a handful of good games, and I'd say that's being kind there. As for video playback, the DS supports that too, big whoop. Why would anyone want to watch films on a little screen in their hand? You care about really important things evidently.

So the DS, designed as a video game handheld first and foremost, which does exactly that, and produces games that'll never be rivaled by the GP2X nor the Pandora, is the toy, yet the GP2X/Pandora which doesn't do anything new, is a computer lightyears ahead. I would say it's vice versa, but the DS isn't a computer, nor does it pertain to be.

No matter what the Pandora is, games have always sold consoles, and in that respect, the Pandora isn't even in the same echelon as the DS.

@danostrife:

Don't know about the "more expensive/more valuable"-stuff, but bear in mind Pandora (and GP2X for that matter) is mainly about emulation (old games). If I wanted this generation's games, I would buy a new console (probably not even handheld) or be happy with PC. But I want emulation on the go, and Pandora seems like the best there is at the moment... I know some like to port Quake and NDS and whatnot, but for me those are mainly "Wow, could it possibly do it?". If you are content with DS, then good for you. Yes, Nintendo has done some amazing work in the gaming front as of late, and it deserves its praise.
But for most of us, we want more. And keyboard is one of the selling points in my opinion. Few years back I thought maybe I should buy GP2X (or was it GP32), but didn't think it was worth it. Now, with keyboard and WiFi as a nice addon (not to mention more umph) I can finally justify to buy myself a Pandora. The keyboard opens new doors to emulation (Dos, C64, plus occasional surfing,etc is more convenient). It may not be the next best thing after sliced bread, but I would bet that after the users have tried the keyboard, they don't want to exclude/remove it either from future revisions.

And yes, I know DS does emulation, and if I trusted in DS capabilities in emulation, maybe I would buy it. But at the moment, Pandora wins 10-1.

I have not disputed any of that, infact the emulation scene for the DS, pales in comparison to either GP2X or the PSP, but the main selling is the commerial games, in which they deliver. Obviously, a emulation geared handheld like the Pandora is chasing a different market, I completely understand that. But people love to compare them for some bizarre reason, when they're in a different league to each other.

Me personally, I would love DOS games on the go. That'll be a huge factor in why I buy a Pandora, but it offers a completely different experience to that of the Nintendo DS.

I don't think it can be better, since it offers nothing hugely new, bar the obvious, it's a powerhouse in your hands, but the content is much you can find on a PC, and I can live being away for a PC from when I'm out o the house.

I too, wanted a GP machine, the F-200 got some serious consideration at its launch, but I put my order off after reading about this.

ok What i'm saying is you have to purchase the ds and passme from seprate places. I'm a student so a $130 game system plus a $50 is expensive taking into account that i might lose the passme card and need to get a new one.

plus i'd need to buy games when i have free ones made for the pandora if i want new content.

All this pointless "my dad could beat up your dad" argument is doing is frustrating those with intelligent things to add to this thread. This is more like a my dad could beat up your grandma debate.

The Pandora could emulate DS. Therefore as a game system it achieves everything the DS does.

Also I would like to point out that many of the "Great" games on the DS are ports, just like games on the GBA.

The Super Nintendo was a gaming machine, anyone want to debate that? Did anyone do their taxes on their SNES? My question @danostrife: Why did the SNES need a mouse?

The point is the comparison is unfair, even though they are both intended to do the same thing, Play Games. It is like comparing a Pinto to a Porsche, they are both made to go down the road but the way they go about doing it is so different that it is retarded to compare the two.

Pandora=Porsche

danostrife; Pretty much everything you said would be made completely irrelevant if DS emulation was of sufficient quality was made available for Pandora (which is what this entire topic is about). Of course that'd involve using ROMs, but you've been advocating using them on a DS this whole time anyway. You can assume that DS emulation would suffer due to drastic performance and usability issues, but it's entirely possible that for a large percentage of games it won't (and the most popular games matter a great deal more than the unpopular ones).

People often claim that emulation is necessarily inferior without giving any real rationale aside from "it just isn't the real thing." Then something like Virtual Console comes along and almost no one has a problem with it anymore, even though it's just emulation with a different name. The whole issue is obviously is at least partially psychological.

You keep talking about how DS is such a better games console and so on, but when it comes to emulation (which involves playing games you understand) it really offers quite a wider selection. The DS scene does probably have more skilled devs working on emulators, not that I understand why, given how much worse its users can be (in how they treat developers).

And don't even joke about video on DS, it's a joke compared to what you can view on GP2X, PSP, and what you will be able to view on Pandora. Of course it's about viewing on a tiny screen when you're looking at one of the DS screens, which is much smaller than any of the above mentioned ones.

C B Felterbush said:
The Pandora could emulate DS. Therefore as a game system it achieves everything the DS does.
That's crap, first off the pandora can't emulate the DS, the Pandora doesn't exist yet and secondly even if it did it is highly unlikely that it could emulate the DS, especially not from launch. Furthermore the placement of the touch screen and lack of dual screens in the pandora will severely effect the gaming experience of DS emulation on many games. On top of that the pandora is larger and (from the renders so far) doesn't look anywhere near as good as the DS Lite, it's twice the price and probably won't be able to use the online service that nintendo provides should it be able to emulate the DS.

The pandora has a long, long way to go if it's going even come close to contending the DS at playing DS games (If it ever even gets a working emulator).

Back