New Orders

'PoisonedV' said:
'hedwards' said:
'Username' said:
Why that photo?
Basically, there's little comment when you want to build a nuclear power plant, but if you want to put up a bike shed, everybody understands how to build one so everybody comments. Mainly because they can, and they want everybody to know.

really? i didnt know it was that specific, i just thought it meant despite the fact that ypou are building a powerplant, people focus on the most pointless details, not the most accessible details

As I understand it, "painting the bike shed" means concentrating on details that really aren't that important (eg. the color of the bike shed) instead of larger and more important issues (the nuclear power plant). But I guess the correct interpretation is really in the ear of the beholder. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
'Mr Wendal' said:
'craigix' said:
Tonight we will be emailing the next 6000 or so on the mailing list telling them they can place an order, first come first served, ....
Do I need an email to place an order?

If it's first come first served, why only the next 6000? I received the initial order email but couldn't order then. Want to order now.

This thread...

CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46424

... has details for placing a new order - according to this, you can e-mail to do so without having been e-mailed first. However, I'm guessing that you may need to be quick about it if the mailing-list shout-out has now been sent. :p

Shouldn't failing FEE and CE tests mean that there will be airplanes falling from the skies whenever I try to install ubuntu instead of angstrom? Or is this more of that good old "your mobile causes cancer by heating your brain up 2°" stuff?

grobi

More like "It may be possible that this device under certain circumstances interferes with another device."

Which means nothing will ever happen.

'Gruso' said:
From what ED said, they can get the testing done very quickly. I doubt they'll have run many boards off the production line by then - if any.
Yep. And even IF it fails CE testing - it can be sold.
As long as it is not in one piece.
So basically, release it as a kit (board, case, mat, screws) with instructions how to put it together and it won't need CE.

I don't think it will fail the CE test, though :)

Last edited:
'EvilDragon' said:
So basically, release it as a kit (board, case, mat, screws) with instructions how to put it together and it won't need CE.
If it fails CE testing, I'll probably end up breaking the damn thing before I can even turn it on :(

'Prometheus' said:
This thread...
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46424

... has details for placing a new order - according to this, you can e-mail to do so without having been e-mailed first. However, I'm guessing that you may need to be quick about it if the mailing-list shout-out has now been sent. :p

Thanks, but after checking it out and realizing I cant use a credit card or paypal, I think I'll give it a miss until the second batch.

'EvilDragon' said:
'Gruso' said:
From what ED said, they can get the testing done very quickly. I doubt they'll have run many boards off the production line by then - if any.

Shouldn't be harder than installing an Xbox modchip.

On the other hand if it passes FCC it'll get plastered all over Engadget.com and Slashdot.

[/quote]

Shouldn't be harder than installing an Xbox modchip.

On the other hand if it passes FCC it'll get plastered all over Engadget.com and Slashdot.
[/quote]

Also, I feel, if it fails... ;)

'Alpha2' said:
'WizardStan' said:
'Alpha2' said:
I mean honestly what would be the harm if they DID fail?

The FCC and CE guys go "hey, you're shipping a product we expressly told you wasn't ready for shipping. Here's a hefty fine and we're pulling your product and blocking all possibility of you shipping your product in the near future until we can do a really, really, REALLY, like put-on-the-rubber-gloves-turn-your-head-and-cough thorough inspection. Shouldn't take more than a year or two. Three tops!"
Sure that's the worst case scenario, but lets assume the truth falls some where inbetween that and "no one finds out", What does failing the testing mean for the device? do they think it gives off harmful radiation? Does it get into wifi networks by circumventing security?

Sure the redtape says they have to follow the rules but what danger is there to the world if it does get out without being tested an no one notices? I'm pretty sure the world wont end if it does.

That way madness lie - and, indeed, potentially the end of the world.

I can hear it now...

Banker1: So what if this one financial deal doesn't pass the official risk evaluation? I'm pretty sure that if it fails and we push it through ANYWAY it won't be the end of the world.

Banker2: {looks around nervously}Well, OK, we can do just one slightly iffy deal for you - then we'll do one for me. No-one will ever know...

and where did THAT lead? Chaos! Anarchy! Dogs living with cats! Damness, MADNESS I say!

More seriously, why IS there red tape if not to ensure a certain minimal level of safety and quality? How crap are so many goods that MEET CE certification? Would "shipping products that failed testing" really be a good trend?

'EvilDragon' said:
'Gruso' said:

For some reason I like the sound of that, sounds like fun putting it together. I don't mind if you ship me it like a kit. :)

I had to put the screen on my first edition gp2x. I wonder if that's the reason why...

Hey i received a mail from craig :

"
First the good news, if you want a Pandora you can now order one from the first batch - but you will have to be quick." [etc]

Kinda scary because i reordered more than a month ago (and i had confirmation).

I think it's going out to everyone on the mailing list, no need to worry.

'hells_dark' said:
Hey i received a mail from craig :

"
First the good news, if you want a Pandora you can now order one from the first batch - but you will have to be quick." [etc]

Kinda scary because i reordered more than a month ago (and i had confirmation).

Me too. I think that it"s just that they send the mail to the first 6000 on the mailing list (I"m surprised that i"m in that first 6000 though) without checking whether there"s already an order from the person on the list (And i can see why - that would be a lot of work just to avoid sending one email), so I'm thinking all is fine :)

EDIT: Duh, clippa beat me to it (I'm so slow..)
EDIT: Okay, it was the second 6000...

2w23mfc.gif

not sure if pictures are supported, if not...
http://i43.tinypic.com/2w23mfc.gif

Using tranzfers, is this the correct information and way to put in info for a "beneficiary" for open pandora? Thought i'd go one more step ahead than them on the blog... I'll wait on the sales or you guys to confirm before I put it in... although I'm worried about not having an order number too.

^^ To guy above. You're not meant to put the sort code in the additional details field. You're meant to put the order number you was given in your email.

'_VWV_' said:
You do you mean boardS??
if "yes" then
do `yay!!!!!!!!!!`
done
elif "it's just another prototype'
echo "wooooo"
:)
Please explain what the hell programming language that is, so I can destroy it.

Back