Pandora Pandora BIOS - Logo

I believe the easier and most well-known method of cross-compiling for Win32 from Linux is by running MinGW via Wine :)

Wine isn't necessary, there's a native version of mingw. Packages are probably available for other distros as well.
A Linux hosted, win32 target, cross compiler for C/C++

Freedom through obsolescence. Those who still really need to can now build windows executables from the comfort of Debian.

This package contains the C and C++ cross compilers.

hey

I'm using x86_64 ;), so can't use wine.

edit
I was actually gonna optimise and remove all the unneeded code from my framework today, but haven't got around to it. I was gonna release the source after I done this. Anyhows I might upload the 64bit elf for ya soon then if ya want.

another edit
Ahh, I just checked my distros repos (archlinux :)), and it seems they got mingw32 and such so I should beable to cross compile :), but I won't beable to test on winxp until I reinstall it or whatever. Thanks for pointing this out sindbad.

cyas

hey

Just me again... well I optimised the logo code. Well not really, just removed my data manager, all my graphics classes, some functions from my 2d vector class, all my data classes, support for joysticks and mouse, all audio functions (although I kept support for keyboard for now, hehe) and got it down to around 32KB, and I'm sure I could get it down far more than this.

BUT, I then decided to use the lodepng lib so I could save the logo image to a 1.2KB png. LodePNG is meant to be lighter than libpng, and doesn't depend on zlib or whatever, but there is one prob... it still compiles to 123.9KB (note, this is the actual size of the lodepng.o object), which isn't the best option for the situation.

Anyhows I was gonna implement support for RLE compression (and maybe with indexed colors if I think it's worth it) to my own format, and the code should compile to something far smaller than 123.9KB, and based on an RLE compressed TGA the logo should be around 6.9KB without indexed colors and 3.5KB with indexed colors.

cyas

hey

Just me again...

Well decided just to directly use my own tga class, which already supports RLE compressed TGA's :). Although it doesn't support indexed colors, so I might think about doing this, but not sure if it will be worth it.

I might upload binaries and source soon.

BTW, atm it compiles to 30.4KB and the TGA logo is 6.9KB. But remember I'm using SDL so that might add a bit, but dunno. Hmm, I think I can optimise it quite a bit more also, hehe.

edit
Download 64bit elf binary here (linux x86_64).

BTW, I enhanced my draw function in this one, so I think it runs a fair bit slower. So I gotta optimise it or something. Anyhows not ready to release the source code yet. I'll also try compile for win32 soon, just downloading mingw32 packages atm.

another edit
Just wanted to mention that I have now added support for color index tga's :). Anyhows it didn't end up being that much more code, although it took a while to get it done, hehe. So yea, the logo tga is now 3.5KB, and my prog is 30.5KB :). Anyhows I think I might optimise some more, hehe.

cyas

I was just going to say I've got a dedicated gif unpacker for the first Pandora logo (dedicated meaning it probably won't open any other gifs, as its limited to 16 colors and assumes a great lot).

Wow, very nice! I like the swishy effect after it has loaded.

Any chance of a version with just the box? I think it'd look good on boot just showing the box in the center of the screen, similar to how a mac boots up (small dark grey apple logo on light grey screen)

Squidge said:
I was just going to say I've got a dedicated gif unpacker for the first Pandora logo (dedicated meaning it probably won't open any other gifs, as its limited to 16 colors and assumes a great lot).
Would a SVG subset be feasible? It would make the images very small and easy to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gah, ain't been on this site for ages!

pandora785.gif

this is my go on it
and I added just a dummy mock boot sequence with it(just put in random things that are slightly relevant)
pandoraboot1.png

and the animation
pandoraboot.gif

I was providing the example of what the text could look like over the image. I don't mean as in depending on images for it's text status
I mean of course the SDIO would not say it had 4GB in it if there wasn't even a card in it.

yosh64 said:
hey

I just wanted to mention that I much prefer the font, spacing and such of the logo on the pandora website compared to in flatmush's logo, what do others think?

Hmm, the perspective of the cube next to the capitals with such close spacing just don't work for me :\. Ohh, and the the curved ends on the cube really put the perspective off wack :p, sorry if I sound harsh but this is what I see :\. So if you want the curves, please put them in perspective ;). Anyhows besides this I think you have done well :).

But yea, I think the logo on the pandora website is fine.

edit
pandoraprocedurallogoedhn5.png

I done a quick edit to try and fix the perspective of the curved ends of the cube and also added a bit more spacing. Anyhows I hope you don't mind. Hmm, something still doesn't look right about the cube to me, I might look into it more.

another edit
test2mc4.png

Here is the pandora logo from the website that I have converted into 2 colors. Hmm, the cube looks a little small or something, but I dunno.

and another
pandora1mv6.png

I thought I'd extract the logo from Eolair's animation so you can compare or whatever, I also hope ya don't mind, hehe.

cyas

[END QUOTE]

Personally, I think the Pandora font on the website is flat and, well.... boring. I much prefer Eolair's Font stylings. If need be the stylised Moon image(although I must admit it looks extremly cool) could be fitted out and replaced with the pandora logo cube. I think his fonts look "fresh" and "flashy", reek with style, and say this is something completely new; and completely badass. Just "pandora" with the minimal font looks slightly amateurish (no offence meant) :ph34r: . I was looking through the pandora renderings in his sig and that font across the lower bezel of the screen and even across the cover are quite evocative.

pandlogo4-1.jpg

pandlogo2.jpg

I remember back in March when he won the logo poll here on the forum for the design.Here

I'd like to see his designs used however modified.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally would just like the logo (no text) to fade in (via PWM on the backlight maybe? :D) and wait for the menu to load.

Back