Pandora Pandora BIOS - Logo

javaJake

Jacob Godserv
Website
myhumblecorner.wordpress.com
Squidge said:
At the moment, the BIOS can load upto 256 color paletted GIF files. Each frame may use a different palette. If you want to a simple animation, then go ahead and post the results. If Craigix likes the result, it may end up in the final product.
Heh, interesting how this'll work out since there is no chosen logo. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume that the logo on OpenPandora.org is the chosen logo? If not, why put it on the official site?

I have a cool idea for a start animation, using OpenGL, shaders and stuff though. So a splash screen could probably do for the BIOS, but a cool animation can be run as soon as the kernel loads the video driver, and (optionally) hide the kernel loading messages :)

I'll see if I do a concept of the effect (it would need good art to look good, first) and post it here :)

(5 minutes later, after much internal debating, he decides to post)

Here's my concept. It's simple and clear, without too much bling. If anyone has any idears, I'm all ears. I tried to make the animation as smooth as possible, but it's hard when the browser makes it all jittery anyways.

Oh, and it's 100+ KB. I did get it really small, but not small enough for an initial boot.

pandoraboot_mobilize_glow_small.gif

Edit: Dang, it loops. Try not to notice that small detail. ;)

javaJake said:
(5 minutes later, after much internal debating, he decides to post)

Here's my concept. It's simple and clear, without too much bling. If anyone has any idears, I'm all ears. I tried to make the animation as smooth as possible, but it's hard when the browser makes it all jittery anyways.

Edit: Dang, it loops. Try not to notice that small detail. ;)
Oh good, that fast strobing effect is going to make me puke

javaJake said:
Oh, and it's 100+ KB. I did get it really small, but not small enough for an initial boot.

The size problem can probably be fixed by using some other format than GIF and have some code changing colors.

BTW, I like it :)

GIF was chosen because I could write a really compact standalone GIF-decoder. Some other formats generate smaller files (eg. PNG), but the size of the decoder more than makes up for it.

Hmm, how about if the above graphic is "drawn" as the animation? That might come out quite nice seeing every letter appear in front of you whilst its init's the hardware and loads the kernel.

Squidge said:
Hmm, how about if the above graphic is "drawn" as the animation? That might come out quite nice seeing every letter appear in front of you whilst its init's the hardware and loads the kernel.

That's what I meant, use code to animate it.

EDIT: it's too early, I need coffee :) I forgot to say that I wanted to say we don't need *animated* GIF. No more coffee at work :(

Hmmm, I need to explain better.

The logo is drawn a piece at a time, ie, you see a single dot on the LCD at first the thickness of a piece of the above logo (small circle). In code, this circle is moved around the screen to "draw" the logo onto the screen. Combine that with an audio clip and I think it'll be quite nice.

Anyone agree?

Squidge said:
Hmmm, I need to explain better.

The logo is drawn a piece at a time, ie, you see a single dot on the LCD at first the thickness of a piece of the above logo (small circle). In code, this circle is moved around the screen to "draw" the logo onto the screen. Combine that with an audio clip and I think it'll be quite nice.

Anyone agree?
That sounds cool, it'd get my vote if a poll existed to register it in :p

Rather than try to fit an animated gif into the bios, why not have the bios display an external gif at a set location on the internal flash memory? That way size wouldn't be such a concern and it would be easily changed by the user.

Edit: I mean just the box bit

You want the title displayed instantly, and then a box drawn around it?

Chip said:
Rather than try to fit an animated gif into the bios, why not have the bios display an external gif at a set location on the internal flash memory? That way size wouldn't be such a concern and it would be easily changed by the user.
That would involve reading another flash block, which we are trying not to do to, as we want the bootup to be as fast as possible (The animation would occur whilst we wait for the nand controller to return requested data).

Squidge said:
I'm having a hard time picturing what you are suggesting. Are you talking about the logo slowly drawn out by the code as things load, pixel by pixel (or group of pixels in a pencil-tool simulation)?

Back