Pandora Pandora BIOS - Logo

I've learned, that 2D Graphics can be implemented as pure code to save much space, this way, all the 2D Games onto the old 8 or 16 Bit Consoles, even GBA etc. are so tiny in MB Size. Even huge Games with hundrets of Levels and a big ammount of different Graphics are small. I have no real clue about these Techniques but maybe it cen help to put Graphics into the Bios that normaly wouldn't fit...???

Javacat said:
Then after it's finished being typed out the _ can just keep blinking whilst it waits.
Idea: the bar cursor could fill up pixel by pixel, then fade to the Pandora logo, and the entire text fades to modern text. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the underscore cursor could shift up vertically, creating a green/white/some color square, then it would shift back down, turning the areas that aren't part of the logo back to black, leaving the logo there (in green/white/some color).

Really quick done version of what I think Vorpo was saying:

pandora.gif

realyst said:

pandora.gif
Now thats really cool. And maybe you could make the logo spin and show off the hardware :lol:

omg... I love that :D The typing out is as I imagined and the logo appearing is great. The only only thing I'm not too sure about is the logo at the end. Just done a quick mockup that I think might work a bit better, although it looks like the fire flower from mario :p

pandoralogoqv1.gif

Agreed:)

The thing was done uber quickly using a stock font I had(hence the fairly ugly transition at the end). So definitely, the final version should have a higher pixel count to have better 'resolution' on the blockart logo.

Meh, I like my idea better. Too bad I'm having some special trouble with the code. Thanks myself for not knowing OpenGL/shaders well enough :p

what are the chances that a video could be started up immediately without flickering after the bios screen.... IDEA: so the logo is sitting there blinking and as soon as the bios is exited a video is started (assuming it won't slow the boot much and hopefully can use the DSP) the logo is also in the video but it is faded away and a scene with the pandora box logo is shown with the box opening... take it from there

i'm trying to learn animation in pov-ray right now so don't count on me(rotating text would be quite an accomplishment right now... :) ) but who knows.....

Edit: figured out the animation and i *might* do a spinning pandora logo hmm it won't be too impressive though....

realyst said:

pandora.gif
Nice, but the final Animation should be much smaller than 186kb. ;)

I'm still hoping, the final Pandora Logo will be more polished than the current one, I had made some alternate Logos with an indication of a Lid and/or PA letters...and it is a 3D Graphic done with Blender. I have no real experience with Blender Animation but I could upload the .blend file maybe.

pandoralogo3bi2.png

pandoralogo4amo8.png

fusion_power said:
realyst said:

pandora.gif

I'm still hoping, the final Pandora Logo will be more polished than the current one, I had made some alternate Logos with an indication of a Lid and/or PA letters...and it is a 3D Graphic done with Blender. I have no real experience with Blender Animation but I could upload the .blend file maybe.

pandoralogo3bi2.png

pandoralogo4amo8.png

I dunno about that logo. It looks too... busy. I think a less busy logo with less in it would be more effective.

IMO stick with the original box that is on openpandora.org

fusion_power said:

Bah, humbug. I say dedicate a whole 3 megs in a custom bios chip to fit an avi in there;)

But in all seriousness, the bios animation would probably be procedural rather then an actual raster animation and would only contain the terminal text and blinking cursor.

The transition to 'pretty mode' afterwards would take place once the kernel kicks in and would be read off internal storage. Thus the bios need only contain the data necessary to type out the word PANDORA across the screen: no bitmap need apply and you'd probably have room to spare:)

I've built a procedurally generated bios animation that draws pandora on the screen, it should only take up a few kilobytes of bios space max and draws a pretty nice looking logo that looks like its being written on the screen.
Also it uses a special bytecode to draw the image, so it can be modified to draw different stuff if needed.

It's a program so if you guys wanna take a look download the exe here.
For those of you who want to examine the source, download the source here.

Note: It uses glfw for display on the pc, but the algorithm is software so doesn't need hardware acceleration.

Edit: See the video of it working here.

flatmush said:
It's a program so if you guys wanna take a look download the exe here.
For those of you who want to examine the source, download the source here.

Would be better and easier if you could post a video. A lot of people are very wary about running anonymous executables, and compiling from source may take a while just to see how it looks.

Back