Votes: 20 57.1%
  • If it can do x (please state)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
WizardStan said:
Limestraël said:
Yes, I do agree that these things already exist. But buy a media center+a console+other stuff and you're over the $200! There, we can use a single device for all that: versatility, as I said.
No need to buy a media center+console+other stuff. Everything that a Pandora Cube would be already exists. You can buy a modded XBox and do pretty much everything such a Pandora Cube could do. You can build a mini PC with an x86 and have access to all existing software, including the coveted N64 emulation, all for less than the cost of a Pandora.

If so, then it means that I REALLY don't understand the use of the Pandora Cube.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a good idea, perhaps it could have extra features as well that you just can't put on a handheld device (like a full on hard drive), better processing, etc. You can use it as a sort of charging base, a place for savegames... I'm getting ideas...

I don't think many ppl would be buying this, at least I would not.

I have a living room computer for everything, it runs some Linux and WinXP in dual boot. I play my game on it, code a little, watch tv and feed my 5.1 DTS receiver via optical. The only things that i would change about it would be going for super-silent fans and radio input devices - hunching over a keyboard from your couch makes your back hate you. Or vice versa. X86 is perfectly fine for me at home.

There are alternatives to what you pictured, which do roughly the same at fair prices.
Pandora itself owns due to mobility und usability (and openSource ofc). I'd stick to mobile awesomeness as long as the major competitors in that area haven't gotten the idea.

On the other hand, if the extra costs for designing, building and distributing that kind of set top thingy would be small enough to take the risk, go for it. In that case it should definitely
- be able to play HD and have the proper connectivity for output (no idea there, not caring about HD myself),
- have LAN, W-LAN, Bluetooth plus an IR port for ppl to use their multifunctional IR remote/PSP/gadgetX to control the box
- have all the sound connectivity my regular motherboard has including optical output (whatchamacallit - Toslink?)
- come with video input allowing me to use it as a hard drive-recorder on either included drive (SSD?), connected via USB or a (W-)LAN NAS
- offer at least 4 USB slots and a built-in multiformat card-reader
- be relatively small, stylisch and of course most silent

-> , in short, be the thing to own for openSource-loving audio-and videophiliacs

Since I imagine it would not have a ROM drive, I don't think support for DTS sound would be making any sense. Dunno how it would work with a DVD drive connected via USB and/or if there would be licensing costs or something else unpleasant.

/edit: Some ppl seem to be confusing this meme for some kind of Pandora cradle. I am convinced that this is not the case, it's designated to be a standalone piece of hardware.

kuru said:
On the other hand, if the extra costs for designing, building and distributing that kind of set top thingy would be small enough to take the risk, go for it. In that case it should definitely
- be able to play HD and have the proper connectivity for output (no idea there, not caring about HD myself),
- have LAN, W-LAN, Bluetooth plus an IR port for ppl to use their multifunctional IR remote/PSP/gadgetX to control the box
- have all the sound connectivity my regular motherboard has including optical output (whatchamacallit - Toslink?)
- come with video input allowing me to use it as a hard drive-recorder on either included drive (SSD?), connected via USB or a (W-)LAN NAS
- offer at least 4 USB slots and a built-in multiformat card-reader
- be relatively small, stylisch and of course most silent

-> , in short, be the thing to own for openSource-loving audio-and videophiliacs

+1. It's no use to do it if it's to be a simple Pandora without screen/keyboard. It have to be more, or else it's useless.

/edit: Some ppl seem to be confusing this meme for some kind of Pandora cradle. I am convinced that this is not the case, it's designated to be a standalone piece of hardware.

Yes it is. Again, what'd be the use?

I must admit I'm still in favor of the idea of a pandora cube. Only thing I would still say is that it needs better than TV out really. Just think about it like this -- pretty much even TV itself is going digital, and the days of composite or s-video (that is, analogue) are pretty much over. Restricting the pandora cube to TV out only would be like going back 20 years -- in a world which is about to "go digital" this nice brand new device is tied to the past of analogue video. x.x. Apart from that one thing, the pandora cube seems to me like a good idea. From what I can find out, it is still cheaper and uses less electricity than what is avaliable currently!

ljones

I would probally buy if it was cheaper. Because you can get a basic computer for $100 that can do those things.
Also it would be preety awesom if it had a special menu sysystem like XMB on the PS3.

Trickyhero said:
I would probally buy if it was cheaper. Because you can get a basic computer for $100 that can do those things.
Also it would be preety awesom if it had a special menu sysystem like XMB on the PS3.
gravedigger! BURN HIM!!...

anyway, since this was discussed last, have you guys checked out the updates to the ROKU player? I got one and it's a pretty sweet update, can't wait to see more media sources come to it, youtube, myspace, hulu... possibilities are almost endless, this is turning out to maybe becomming more of a home theater pc than the one I already have.

One thing I would LOVE to see, but probally won't would be usb drive functionality for divx and mp4's and whatnot, also some form of accessing NAT or file servers for other forms of streaming media.

It was started around june 2009.. Why did someone bring it back from the dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back