Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question, is this measured under the minimal testing kernel or the full firmware?

Laurencevde said:
BTW: what's the theoretical maximum possible for the Pandora to achieve?
54Mbit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Laurencevde said:
350KB/s, as in 350kilobyte/s, as in ~3megabit/s?
Sounds fine to me. That's fast enough for pretty much everything, except for high-quality high-def video-streaming.

BTW: what's the theoretical maximum possible for the Pandora to achieve?
1 byte = 8 bits

2.8Mbps... nvm didn't see ~

That's really good, certainly very usable. I would be more than happy with it for now. However I hope you want to get the maximum possible out of the wifi chip, it doesn't have to happen tomorrow but an intention to maximise it would be great.

Can we pretty much rule out hardware problems now then?

trooper said:
mali said:
@MOD, please change thread title to kilobytes/s. This auto upper/lower case function of the boards sucks, imo.

Done. :) Trooper

Thanks to Moderator Trooper!
I already intentionally used lower/upper case within posting titles for emphasis, and this auto-capitalization-function ruined it!
Thanks!

Not sure if it's been mentioned before (I skim-read through the posts), but if the WI-FI requires extra power to push up the speed, does that mean that the battery will deplete quicker? If so, at 350KB, what's the expected battery-life expectancy?

RajTakhar said:
do we know how it got fixed?

I mean was it from fault finding/de-bugging or the other thread yesterday about drivers?

Great news either way

It was a resistor

It's okay if later firmware revisions can boost it. 350 KB/s is enough for browsing on a slowish connection but it's about 5% of what the NIC should be able to deliver and it's certainly not enough to saturate even an average internet connection over here (in Germany you barely even get any plans below 6 Mb/s). It's okay for the first firmware revision but I hope that there's no hardware issue that prevents higher speeds as it's definitely too slow for the mature version of the device.

craigix said:

kilobyte.png
So that's Kelly-Bootle standard units?

EDIT: spoiler tag
EDIT2: unnecessary quotes

Attachments

• kilobyte.png
    kilobyte.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 82
Lack of power - was it hardware related after all ?

Well I better not start speculation... I just home you will post more detailled information soon.
What about the cases ? I can't believe this chinese factory... I wonder how long it will take untill all 4000 cases are finished.

Concerning the speed 350KB/s is cernainly very decent. I remember my n800 did about 700kb/s tops. I guess most of those wifi chip in handheld device are designed for low power consummtion over speed.

I guess the real question is how good is the wifi range and if the 350kb/s are stable.

craigix said:
Michael might post a more accurate explanation, but in simple terms it was a lack of power.

Wonder if this changes the power draw numbers we saw earlier (dongle vs. internal)

Also, divert all power from Thrusters to WiFi. Make it so, Number One.

Is changing that resistor a 'dirty hack' or did the board design not comply to the specifications of the module?

RajTakhar said:
guys - before the flamin starts

changing a resistor is not a big issue - its relatively easy

compared to changing any of the larger surface mounted stuff

It's such a simple issue Michael is just going to do them as we ship them.

The factory can do the rest.

craigix said:
It's such a simple issue Michael is just going to do them as we ship them.

The factory can do the rest.

If I interpret this correctly, do you mean that for the boards already populated, Michael will be making a manual adjustment (God bless his patience!); and for all future not-yet-populated boards, the factory will be doing the fix right from the start of the manufacture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back