Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
MODS PLEASE?
always complaining about running out offtopic so what about now? (where did they go? i havent seen a mod act for a long time)

@DroneB Dev: Moderators are not omnipresent or endowed with superpowers. If you wish to report a post, use the "Report" button - I'm afraid that shouting for "MODS" will not do anything. ;)

Pickle said:
On side note i was able to mount my samba share on my server too last night :)
This looks far more interesting to me than the two pages after it. ;-)

How'd that work out for you Pickle? Easy to set up, transfer any files, etc., etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
jasay said:
Pickle said:
On side note i was able to mount my samba share on my server too last night :)
This looks far more interesting to me than the two pages after it. ;-)

How'd that work out for you Pickle? Easy to set up, transfer any files, etc., etc.?
+1, I'd like to hear more too. :)

What Gruso said. Not that I use shares or anything, but I'm curious about how well it works nonetheless.
grin.gif

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 85
Prometheus said:
What Gruso said. Not that I use shares or anything, but I'm curious about how well it works nonetheless.
grin.gif

Me too! Once I get my Pandora running I might try to finally get some shares working. I've never gotten my computer to share with my Wii though... :(

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 85
So, any more updates on the wifi? I ordered one as soon as I read about the resistor change.

Personally, I think about 10Mbps should be the minimum to aim for.

Prometheus said:
@droneb Dev: Moderators are not omnipresent or endowed with superpowers. If you wish to report a post, use the "Report" button - I'm afraid that shouting for "MODS" will not do anything. ;)
they are not, (hope not)
but even so, it seem they did hear my call

TraumaPony said:
So, any more updates on the wifi? I ordered one as soon as I read about the resistor change.

I agree. I'll repeat my question: did anybody test the earlier board revisions (with original resistor) for the wifi speed? If yes, than what speed was achieved? If not, than I think it's not clever to send not tested boards to mass production.

Exophase said:
They're 4200mAh batteries that are for some reason labeled 4000.

Because they were 4000mAh first:

http://pandorapress.net/2009/09/02/twitterix-oh-i-forgot-to-tell-you/

And please - would anybody please stop posting their net speeds? Especially with that flash page its not accurate at all. I get different speeds depending on my computer speed because some can't handle the flash object fast enough or w/e. And besides that: Who cares about your net speed? We care about the Pandoras wifi raw performance. What we have so far is fine for browsing and (in most cases) using the internet. So why bother with anybodys internet speed? Besides that a few of those people probably still only take their parents connection and are only here to troll.

Vega said:
TraumaPony said:

I agree. I'll repeat my question: did anybody test the earlier board revisions (with original resistor) for the wifi speed? If yes, than what speed was achieved? If not, than I think it's not clever to send not tested boards to mass production.

I am sure that if we tried really hard we could find someone to blame, probably someone who has worked long hours and achieved a great deal - Do we really need a witch hunt?

In any ambitious project crap happens, even the ipad is having teething issues despite all of Apples resources. What is important is that problems are not ignored or brushed under the carpet, but dealt with.

If we were being deliberately misled or lied to, that would be a different issue but there in nothing to support that.

Vega said:
Someone (I thought it was MWeston, but I can't find the relevant post) said that Wifi was working better on the older revision (still not perfect, but much fewer dropped packets) which is what lead to the conclusion that something between board revisions had changed: the impedance on one of the traces.

PhillipJ said:
Tear pretty much never crashes for me. Doesn't do tabs though (does it?) which I would like on Pandora.
Nevermind, I didn't use my N800 for a while and ripped out the SD cards to use them elsewhere, thus I had no virtual memory activated. I guess Tear ran out of memory. I completely rediscovered my N800's usefulness :D
I set up Pronvit's webkit-eal engine for MicroB and use that now. It's just great as his latest version supports kinetic scrolling. I've found out that MicroB +webkit is much more responsive on half-loaded heavy sites like Engadget. Tear's scrolling is horrible there.
Why, oh why did Nokia discontinue their tablets and made a phone instead :(
I'll get a new battery for my N800 and I hope it tides me over till I have a chance to get a second batch Pandora.

Windy said:
I am sure that if we tried really hard we could find someone to blame, probably someone who has worked long hours and achieved a great deal - Do we really need a witch hunt?

In any ambitious project crap happens, even the ipad is having teething issues despite all of Apples resources. What is important is that problems are not ignored or brushed under the carpet, but dealt with.

If we were being deliberately misled or lied to, that would be a different issue but there in nothing to support that.

That was just my opinion. I would try to avoid mass producing a product that was not thoroughly tested. Also Apple didn't have two years of delay. Maybe Apple ignore problems - that's one of the reasons why I didn't buy iPad, but Pandora. But I think 2 - 4 Mb/s isn't a solution and if they say it is I'l say it's ignoring the problem. I'm waiting for 10-20 Mb/s. I hope it's technically posible. Does anybody know how fast is Nokia N900 wifi working? It's the same chipset, right? I think it would be a good goal - to reach N900 speed. Then I'll be satisfied, I think.

The CPU / GPU / RAM is the same model as the N900, but the Wi-Fi is an external chip, so I can't remember if it's the same as the N900. Probably not.

It should be several MegaBytes per second anyway. :/

beavith said:
So, will being able to download directly to the SD cards?
Yeah, the SD cards are mounted under /media/sd0 and /media/sd1 or something. You could even download to a mounted SSHFS or Samba share, or USB flash drive. Why wouldn't you be able to?

Using arora to post this on my new kubuntu lucid beta2 install. Holy crap this browser is fast! Starts up near-instantly and reders web pages even faster. A few graphical glitches and choppy jquery animations are a minus, but for pandora this would make a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back