Picodrive 1.31

heres a video of road avenger :- Road avenger video

I think it works best at 2048 but the buffering can make you make mistakes like you will see near the end of the video. I will be makin a donation as soon as i get back to work and make some money :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a little bug and a small suggestion...

Ok firstly for the bug, on Sonic CD (european version) sometimes the music will not repeat itself once the track has finished playing. However the North American version doesnt seem to have this happen to it, i dont know about the japanese version as i havent tried it.

For the suggestion, any chance you could make it filter out mp3 files. There isnt really a need to have the emulator show them when browsing for ROMs to load, just gets slightly annoying having to scroll 35 mp3 files before i get to the iso to load. So if the emulator could just not list mp3 files that would be great :)

Wow, this is phenomenal work and surpasses any expectations I ever had about Sega CD on GP2X. Don't have much room on my SD for CD images, but I feel obligated to check out this fine piece of work.

And Notaz possibly working on NES? Sounds too good to be true. :)

:( SHADOW OF THE BEAST 2 i see 60/60, but is terrible sloooow?!?
:unsure: it is a bug?

notaz posted on Mar 25 2007 at 12:54 PM said:
So, any other broken games?
Yes, I've noticed syncing issues in games that didn't have such issues in the past. Jurassic Park, for example, basically requires "better sync" to be on or it will freeze. Before this version, that was not the case.

I'll report on more games as I test them.

On the bright side, things are much faster, and some games that didn't work before (MegaRace!) now do. :)

I've uploaded 1.31 with a fix for Lunar 2 and Batman games (but which are still unplayable due to strong use of gfx chip). The fix might have broken other games, but testing them is very time consuming, so I am uploading 1.31 now.

Yorper posted on Mar 25 2007 at 10:53 PM said:
Ok firstly for the bug, on Sonic CD (european version) sometimes the music will not repeat itself once the track has finished playing. However the North American version doesnt seem to have this happen to it, i dont know about the japanese version as i havent tried it.
I also test with EU version and it works fine. PD probably doesn't like your mp3s, try to reencode them as CBRs.

Yorper posted on Mar 25 2007 at 10:53 PM said:
For the suggestion, any chance you could make it filter out mp3 files. There isnt really a need to have the emulator show them when browsing for ROMs to load, just gets slightly annoying having to scroll 35 mp3 files before i get to the iso to load. So if the emulator could just not list mp3 files that would be great :)
Great idea! And easy to do, done.

DARKGATE posted on Mar 25 2007 at 11:12 PM said:
:( SHADOW OF THE BEAST 2 i see 60/60 at but is terrible sloooow?!?
:unsure: it is a bug?
Try to enable "better sync". Also the version commonly found on ROMs sites appears to be bad a dump, even Gens hangs on it.

shinneri posted on Mar 26 2007 at 12:50 AM said:
Yes, I've noticed syncing issues in games that didn't have such issues in the past. Jurassic Park, for example, basically requires "better sync" to be on or it will freeze. Before this version, that was not the case.
Well I have changed timing and such things are normal. I don't consider games broken if they work in "better sync" mode, which is not that much slower now.

Wow another great release, wohoo ... time to update my SD card with all the latest emulators.
Amazing with how much dedication some devs work on their projects!

Thank you :)

"SunSpire"

notaz posted on Mar 25 2007 at 07:25 PM said:
I've uploaded 1.31 with a fix for Lunar 2 and Batman games (but which are still unplayable due to strong use of gfx chip). The fix might have broken other games, but testing them is very time consuming, so I am uploading 1.31 now.

shinneri posted on Mar 26 2007 at 12:50 AM said:
Well I have changed timing and such things are normal. I don't consider games broken if they work in "better sync" mode, which is not that much slower now.
Thanks, notaz. And no problem; I'm just trying to mention anything I find. I'll test this new version, and report back. :)

Also, I finished Lunar 2. Twas beautiful. :wub: Thank you very much for this, notaz. Now I have to play the little mini-mission to reunite Hiro and Lucia.. :D

heres some more videos :-

Star Wars Rebel Assault

Popful Mail

Sol Feace

Terminator

And this is othe rone i already posted :- Road Avenger

Now working:
Mega Race :D
B.C. Racers (be sure to have the scaling/rotating chip on)
Sim Earth (though I don't understand the Japanese)
Panic!

Not working:
Death Bringer (black screen after a couple screens in)
Radical Rex (black screen after loading)

More as I try them...

Edit: @CABBAGES: Road Avenger looks amazing! I'll be trying that. Kind of a Shenmue QTE-type thing. :)

I tested 43 games and only 2 turned out not working:

Shadow of the Best II: crashes when you walk to the left where that guy is caputred by that bird like creature.

Dungeon Explorer: Intro works, then comes up the Screen Jojo´s Bar. Music is playing but nothing happens.

Even Wing Commander works now... HOORAY

Bug found...Cursor in Panic! doesn´t display properly (invisible most of the time)...A flashy one

BTW, great work, Notaz!! ;)

Totally, totally excellent!

And I've got my salary today - I believe a round of donations is in order...

CABBAGES posted on Mar 26 2007 at 04:06 AM said:
heres some more videos :-

Star Wars Rebel Assault

Popful Mail

Sol Feace

Terminator

And this is othe rone i already posted :- Road Avenger

very promising. checking this emu out tonight, thanks notaz. And thanks to Cabbages for this convenient video service.

Just thought I'd mention that the changes in 1.31 also fixed Syndicate (E) and Theme Park (E), both of which didn't work in 1.30. Syndicate had major graphics corruption and Theme Park had corrupt graphics on the intro fmv, then would hang on the loading screen. All these issues seem to be fixed now! :)

So now all the games I've tried are working, and most of them are full speed at 200MHz with fs0 when using the most optimal settings for each game.

So thanks again notaz for all your hard work!! :D

Here's another game to be fixed, On the last stage of PopfulMail It crashes randomly when you move around. :huh:

Notaz, really excellent work! Thank you :)

I've noticed that when switching between MD roms, a "940 Crashed." message appeared on the lower left corner of the screen and roms cannot be started anymore!

To regenerate, please do the following:

1) Run an MD ROM and play for few seconds/minutes
2) Go back to the the menu and select a new ROM.
3) The new ROM will try to start but it crashes and the error message is given.

No other ROM can be selected after the first crash. The emu must be restarted to be able to play another rom. Please notice that you may need to switch between several ROMs before the 940 crashes.

I hope you can fix this bug :)

Wow, even Soul Star runs quite well with the right options enabled (needs the acurate sync in the megaCD menu enabled, but everything else can be optimised for speed; I get a very playable 30-50fps in the first three missions).

Damn those CD images take up too much space on my 4GB SD :(
Amazing that 128mb was enough during the GP32 days :D

Back