[Poll] Case Colour Clarification

Your First Choice in Colour

• Total voters

In a cinema the projection screen is white (or light gray), but the area around that, and the other walls, are typically black or some very dark color.

For the Pyra case, I don't want any bright color (including shades of white) for the same reason.

We shouldn't discuss colors in terms of RGB, by the way. There are too many colors that cannot be reproduced using just RGB. Also, our monitors are probably not calibrated well enough, and single color data points do not suffice to convey the perceptual properties of surface materials.

543px-CIExy1931_AdobeRGB_vs_sRGB.png

At the same time, making a colour that's not part of the sRGB set will make advertising the device on the web based on its colour difficult. Perhaps we should make it a colour that's also part of the CMYK set, for paper publishing reasons.

I don't really care about the color. I would rather have a raw plastic that ages well (no soft-touch, not glossy), regardless of the color.

I do care about the colour, but as long as it's dark I won't be overly phased.

Lighter colours have the tendancy to look cheap... ESPECIALLY silver or light grey.

Darker colours hide wear and dirt.

Matte or even better, a rough texture helps this even further.

So a painted on colour is just a terrible idea, regardless of wether it's dark or light.

It absolutely has to be raw plastic.

We want a device that looks the bizz years from purchase...

... not a device that looks gorgeous for only two weeks - two months after purchase.

It's official.

Case color is now officially the keyboard thread successor.

We need a new poll to be sure we wisely interpret the results of this poll.

I think this poll is ok to get a rough idea of what people want.  That said, now we really need someone with some rendering/photoshop skills to mock up some pics of the most popular options to choose from.  Or even people to mock up there own choices which could be collated later to be voted on.  Similiar to what happened in the keyboard layout thread.

I find it really difficult to visulaise or vote on options based on simple color tags such as blue, red or dark red or two tone.  So mock ups or examples of other similiar handhelds with the color scheme you like would really help. Especially when it comes to visulising  metallic colors, two tone,  dark , mid, lite variations of color etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this poll is ok to get a rough idea of what people want.  That said, now we really need someone with some rendering/photoshop skills to mock up some pics of the most popular options to choose from.  Or even people to mock up there own choices which could be collated later to be voted on.  Similiar to what happened in the keyboard layout thread.

I find it really difficult to visulaise or vote on options based on simple color tags such as blue, red or dark red or two tone.  So mock ups or examples of other similiar handhelds with the color scheme you like would really help. Especially when it comes to visulising  metallic colors, two tone,  dark , mid, lite variations of color etc etc
Agreed. Can someone knock up a dark red pyra?
If it gains enough traction we can sub minimally...I mean sublimally influence people to go red!

Red. Red. Red...

I guess ED could also go crazy with his spray cans and mock up some of the popular choices in the end as well. It's been done before

P1080975.JPG

I am looking forward to a vantablack mockup, just for fun, since we probably can't get it (and I would guess it would need to be a coating of some sort if we could).

I am looking forward to a vantablack mockup, just for fun, since we probably can't get it (and I would guess it would need to be a coating of some sort if we could).
It would look like a flat piece of black on the table. You wouldn't even recognize the Pyra as all shape is lost.

Vantablack is made of vertically alligned carbon nanotubes, it's nothing you can just spray on. It needs to be grown on the surface at high temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vantablack is made of vertically alligned carbon nanotubes, it's nothing you can just spray on. It needs to be grown on the surface at high temperatures.
All correct except one of the major advantages of Vantablack is it doesn't need high temperatures, unlike other extreme black colours that need extremely high temperatures to make.

It would look like a flat piece of black on the table. You wouldn't even recognize the Pyra as all shape is lost.
Close...  Since the Pyra would be a 3D object, you would see the outline of the 'empty blackness' move and shift as your body/head/eyes move in relation to it sitting on a surface.  The black blob/shape would appear to squirm, shift and move as if it were consuming the desk surface.  It would be marvelously disconcerting.

Back