Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Software wise the Pandora is a true community effort.. mostly driven by a core group of users.
The guys who did the rest were users back then, too. At least as I understand it. But that's all just semantics in the end, isn't it. I am growing fond of the thought that it doesn't matter at all what things are called.

just like the Pandora 1 was not a community project
shame, I always called it that
Well it was not. It was a project by a couple of guys (Craig, ED, MWeston, fatih, DaveC etc.) who took all the risk and did all the work (as far as the hardware is concerned, that is). In terms of software, you could call it a community project, but in terms of hardware production, it never was. Of course there was community input on the hardware design, lots of it, but in the end, the OPT made all of the decisions and did all the work. At least that's how I understand the history of the Pandora - I wasn't there to witness things first hand since I only got interested in it in early 2012, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

At least that's how I understand the history of the Pandora
Yeah, that's basically it. I entered shortly after The Craginator was scrapped and the Pandora as it came to be had just started, and there were polls asking for input but for the most part they did what they felt best, based on the input. That's how I see what ED is doing now and I couldn't be happier. The one truly democratic thing that had full community involvement was the keyboard layout, and that was a hideous mess of polls upon polls with polls about polls. Seriously, that is not the way to run a project. What I see ED doing now is as much a community project as the original Pandora, except instead of having to ask "what do you guys think about X?" he's got an entire forum where people have voluntarily debated everything over several years. The community has spoken, it's all right here, now we just have to trust in EvilDragon's ability to listen :p

So what, we call it a community project because the input came from it, or we don't call it one because the decisions are being made by a handful persons? I'm not going to reason why the latter is clearly inevitable. This place has a lot of people who excel at contradicting each other. I will stop trying to make sense of words. Thanks for the input :)

homer_concept_art_21.jpg

homer_front1.jpg

haha. Nerf guns are sweet.

Confused by all of these naming options. Seem very pretentious....

Total democracy doesn't work, just as total dictatorships doesn't work as well. everything needs a middle ground.

EDIT: Software wise the Pandora is a true community effort.. mostly driven by a core group of users.
Yep. Even in democratic society like the US, the people vote all they want. At the end of the election, it's the electoral votes that really count :)

So what, we call it a community project because the input came from it, or we don't call it one because the decisions are being made by a handful persons?
I'm saying that if you had reasons to call the Pandora a community project then you should be happy calling the P2 a community project, knowing that it is just as community oriented as the original.

So what, we call it a community project because the input came from it, or we don't call it one because the decisions are being made by a handful persons?
I'm saying that if you had reasons to call the Pandora a community project then you should be happy calling the P2 a community project, knowing that it is just as community oriented as the original.
Cool. _wb_ threw me off there for a while.

Cool. _wb_ threw me off there for a while.
No worries.It's not as obviously community oriented as the P1 where we had questions and polls and a lot of debates in the span of just a couple months whereas the P2 discussion has been going on for years and just kind of debating whatever we felt like whenever we felt like it, but the discussion is still here, the polls were still made, ED is taking it all into consideration, he's just being the executive in charge of the community. :)

I'm going to take an idea from the Vita and throw out some latin words

Affrus- horse for farm work (would make it afrus) (only 43,000 hits)

Imbrium - Of rain

I sort of like the sound of Dragonbox: Afrus

Of course the entire problem, in my opinion, with naming by model is that it's difficult to keep track for people who don't have one. For that reason, the model name doesn't really matter. If I have one of these, I will refer to it as the Dragonbox to other people, simply because that refers to the brand and will most directly take them back to the site, whereas if I have two different models and I refer to them by their model name, it's not clear that it's from the same manufacturer. In fact, we could simply call this one the Dragonbox, and then later models, just refer to them by Dragonbox One, or something similar.

if Pyrrha wins, I'm going to be so disappointed, I hate it even more than Mirid which I also hate. Afrus? good god.

Dragonbox, dragonfly, Zenbox, dreambox(+1)......

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.. completely unrelated product and it's kinda discontinued anyway. unless they own the copyright on the name?
So.. you want the name to be Dragonbox Dreambox? I took it for granted that the former is a given. The combination is silly.
Dragonbox Dreambox Miriad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back