• Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple is a company, right?

You can still call the fruit apple "apple" right?

That's because using commercially the same name for various thing that are clearly distinguishable is alright.

i.e. if we end up with miriad, there are no chance to mix the company that's selling caravan parts with a pocket linux computer…

Or pyragon, the company that makes alarms for nuclear power plants. See what I mean?

Just spontaneously reminded me of the mecha genre the way it sounds.
:D , that's why I chose it unconsciously. That's cool, I think it is much inartificial than DragonBox and it give sense beside DragonBox; It is like

"-Why DragonBox, what a dragon have to do with a box?

-You can't understand it man because that's the Ultimate Mobile Unit!"

Can't explain it with another words.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the name is very important.
Do you really think so? Were Wii, PSP, NES, PS, Gameboy, Genesis, MegaDrive, Galaxy, I-pad such great names and the reason for their success? It is just a name and maybe that those names sound good is because they became successful and not the other way around . As long as it not something that is an obvious copy of something already existing and not something embarrassing in one of the major languages, I think we are fine. 

@b_o_b The name isn't important if you are a big company like nintendo, or if there hasn't any other open-console (like nintendo beginning).

But when there are plenty of device and you have to chose a name for your device, you have to chose it well.

Because when someone will search an open console, if the name sound bad or stupid, he will not see into. I think you have to chose a good name (which have meaning or sound good) or a neutral name.

DragonBox is the name of EvilDragon's store, it makes sense to use that as the company name.. what's being voted on is the name of the device itself.. 
Thanks, I understand the choice know! But it still sound bad -_-

^Well Unit still sounds like you're talking about a mans' junk.

Apple is a company, right? You can still call the fruit apple "apple" right? That's because using commercially the same name for various thing that are clearly distinguishable is alright.
It rages me that you can own a word just like that and sue everybody! Like they invented it. Intellectual property? my ass!

Its unlikely anybody is going to refer to it as DragonBox Miriad, Dragonfly, or whatever. They'll probably use either DragonBox or Miriad. So why not keep the Eddition schema? Miriad Edition, Dragonfly Edition, Pyragon Edition,..

Maybe! I'm not english, I haven't enough vocabulary, the only thing I know is that in France it would sound better. Unit have probably others connotation in english.

My lack of vocabulary make that I can't propose another word but the idea was to give a word which is more cool, original and meanful.

You know like Play-station. That's an original, meanful and cool name.

Edit: And someone who don't know the EvilDragon's store can't understand the name DragonBox, that's why nintendo is named nintendo and not SnakeBox and the website is nintendo.com.

@ghostpatch I agree with you.

No it is not... remember NES? Entertainment System = Play Station
Play Station is the cooler version of Entertainment System like DragonUnit is the cooler version of DragonBox.

Because station have multiple meaning like Unit. It is less formal.

That's how I feel it. :)

I think of G-Unit now, gangster dragons. I prefer the box myself

I was the one that had the suggestion to call it Pandragon

Simply for the reasons of it has the word "dragon" in it and that it almost spells out the word Pandora.

Pandora

Pand_ragon

Ignis is a car, tiamat is a band, helios is a lens and a chain, all the others are companies.

Also they are generic to their meaning, or ambiguous, mix it up.

Apple is a company, right?

You can still call the fruit apple "apple" right?

That's because using commercially the same name for various thing that are clearly distinguishable is alright.

i.e. if we end up with miriad, there are no chance to mix the company that's selling caravan parts with a pocket linux computer…

Or pyragon, the company that makes alarms for nuclear power plants. See what I mean?
For reasons why a generic name can backfire, i also dont think we should use someone elses name. Its a scale with wrong on both sides. I dont know why apple can sue people using apple naming in other businesses or vaguely similar logos, but lets stick with what we know, you nor me are experts on trademark, copyright or patent law, so lets not go there.
The only safe option is to think of our own names, that are not generic. Short forms used in trivial everyday language could well be, but not the long version. And the long version should work with dragonbox.

OFF TOPIC... but in response to a naming scheme similar to 'PlayStation'

'DreamBox' ... I was actually looking through the thesaurus on words: Development, Create, and freedom... Didn't find anything catchy. This isn't a serious suggestion anyway.

If we have to modify these names even further to avoid stepping on other people's toes... how about we affix DB (DragonBox) to the end of the name.

I.e. PyragonDB, PyraDB, MyriadDB (MiriadDB)

And again, I say Pyragon looks and sounds best in this form. So if it's going to be the PyragonDB, it will be spoken about like this:

"Somebody's been using my Pyragon again without asking... Mark?"

"No I ain't been using your effing Pyra, why do you always assume it's me?"  

Only the very geeky (and very proud) are likely to say:

"I've just ordered a PyragonDB, god I'm so excited! I hope it get's here before the weekend".

"Oh yeah, I heard about the Pyragon... sounds pretty cool. Too damn expensive if you ask me though".

"DB Mark. It's called the PyragonDB, and it's significant because DB stands for... *begin rant*... 30minutes pass... *end rant* ... and so you can see it's actually NOT that expensive for what it can do and what this device represents".

"... Ohhhhkaaaay. ... Well you have fun with that while I just use my Moga and smartphone dude.... *still too bloody expensive*"

"Arrrg!!!"

N-JAT

Not Just Another Toy

Or

NaT

Not a Toy

Is what I came up with as I don´t really like any of the other options given.

I just thought about how I'd describe it to my wife :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back