Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
German mythology, yes. Greek mythology and dragon mix, ???

Made an explanation of dragonode logo names and proposed names/successor names here

All the names we are now voting on are made in competition with dragonbox, and thus solves not the problem in being subordinate, but rather becomes swatting the same fly twice without hitting.

Taking for example dragonfly name, and the logo proposal that is very close to (albeit imo better) than dragonfly BSD logo is just bad mannered and an inept move in the foss world.

Foss naming is either clever (gnu, linux), too clever (gimp), hit and miss (fedora releases) or just works (debian releases)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also it might be a better idea to ask what names are acceptable to you, instead of asking what the name should be.
Good idea. A new poll and if ED also confirms  the name with most votes will not automatically be the successors name it might avoid strategic voting.

Hello,

I think DragonBox is a huge mistake, because it don't mean nothing, and contrary to Pandora it's sound cheap or chinese fake. DragonBox Myriad or anything too. Choose the name by vote isn't always the best way.

I think it should be like Dragon Unit. Unit because it is an unit that you can't put in a category and because it is including several function in one. Dragon because y'all like Dragon and it sound like more games and more geek.

Or maybe    Dragonbox Ultimate Mobile Unit:  DragonBox UMU

I think DragonBox is a huge mistake

Or maybe    Dragonbox Ultimate Mobile Unit:  DragonBox UMU
Hmm...
DragonBox UMU sound better because it remove the cheap sounding of DragonBox, I said that as an exemple because DragonBox have been already chosen. I just give an idea because I want to buy it and I would like that the project be commercial success . And the name is very important.

At the end of the day DragonBox is a mistake and DragonUnit is better.

Where do you go from unit in making it a system like debian has? Also, what do you combine unit with to make it a name?

At least box is a physical unit, which makes sense, whereas unit doesnt have that link.

People want dragonbox, you dont like it, well change it up then. Pick or make something that doesn't sound Chinese. Problem solved.

Edit: read "Dragonbox Ultimate Mobile Unit:  DragonBox UMU"   you are adding parts to make an arbitrary acronym that doesn't make sense as the addition to dragonbox or as the resulting "UMU".

@_wb_  Of course, I said "at the end of the day" to my "or maybe: Darong box UMU" not to everyone, dude. And "way" is excessive, that's why I edit before I saw your message.

Where do you go from unit in making it a system like debian has? Also, what do you combine unit with to make it a name?

At least box is a physical unit, which makes sense, whereas unit doesnt have that link.

Edit: read "Dragonbox Ultimate Mobile Unit:  DragonBox UMU"   you are adding parts to make an arbitrary acronym that doesn't make sense as the addition to dragonbox or as the resulting "UMU".
It is the fact that "Unit" is undefined that is cool. And I said "and contrary to Pandora it's sound cheap or chinese fake", so if it doesn't make sense but don't sound cheap that's not a problem.

@kuru I don't understand your joke, probably because of my lack of english. Maybe Unit have another meaning?

Edit: And "box" is to much common, it hasn't personality, that's why it sound cheap. Dragon is common to but it is you know antique, so in association with another well chosen word it can be good.

Get sued by?!

There haven't really been significant problems with the internet radio service or the jewellery company have there?

^^^ As long as the name isn't licensed for a computer device, it doesn't matter.

Otherwise, I doubt microsoft would have been able to use "sidewinder" as a name for its old joystick/pad/wheel brand.

(and there are quite a few other example)

Where did you find that, arent you talking about a myrmidon?

Get sued by?!

There haven't really been significant problems with the internet radio service or the jewellery company have there?
The internet radio service is pandora radio. We are openpandora.

First order of business is to ask, thats common courtesy and manners.

I dont know of a pandora jewlery, but maybe pyrrah jewlery (linked to above) has something against _their_ name being used.

Unless someone forgot:

GP2X said:
The first name of this console was the GPX2. However, it couldn't be used as a final name due to a possible trademark violation with the name of a Japanese printer, the GPX. A contest for a new name was announced on August 3, 2005. Around 1500 names were submitted in total.
It does matter, it matters a lot. Apple sues everyone with the slightest inkling of word apple in their name, even companies older than apple. Being in the wrong or right, i dont know, it strikes me as not the single most clever idea to go with something someone else has already. Its immoral, and for some of the names, downright tacky.

For a multitude of reasons. One of which is, lets say that we can do it, because its generic, well then so can everyone else. Along comes company B and makes a product that directs all searchwords towards something else.

Edit: Pyragon Inc., was founded in 1996. Our product focus is in the process temperature measurement, signal conditioning, process alarms and process calibration area. In 2002 we purchased the I/O product line from Transmation Inc. This included the TouchTemp temperature transmitter, 3000 series signal conditioners and alarms, 4200 data acquisition systems and the Vision 4300 remote intelligent I/O systems.

Pyra does webdesign. From the looks of it a small company that has been around since 1999. I dont even know what to say. Netiquette be damned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back