• Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
p2names_google.png

I also included "Myriad" because Google was constantly automatically "correcting" me to that, so I think it's relevant to include that data too.

I think the above chart shows that Miriad and DragonFly are not very good choices in terms of originality / confusion risk / easy to find with a Google search.

Dragora, Myridon and Pyragon are very good choices. Pandragon, Pyrrha and Pyra are intermediate ("Pyra" is actually worse than "Miriad" if you consider only the actual query, but at least it does not get auto-corrected to something else).

If you take away Myriad and DragonFly from the above chart, you get this:

p2names_google2.png

Dragora is confusing because of this though: http://www.dragora.org/

and Google wants to correct Myridon to Myrmidon (but didn't auto-correct it).

So in terms of Google results, only Pyragon is really good. They are all acceptable though, except for DragonFly and Myriad/Miriad.

Personally I like Pyragon , It's works on several levels.. between a combination of Pyra and Dragon, it could also be pronounced like Paragon which is kind of cool in itself.

Also agree with _wb_'s concern on using Dragonfly and Myriad/Miriad

Last edited by a moderator:
This is definitely more confusing and harder than I imagined.
Seriously, cut the poll, just pick the 2 or 3 names you like the best and say "these are it, no more discussion". It's nice to be community driven but it is still your heart in the device, metaphorically speaking, and it needs to be done.Besides which, too much choice is the antithesis of happiness, psych studies have shown. If you give people a lot of options they will spend a lot of time in self debate and even after they've made the choice they'll question it and wonder if they made the right one. Give them 2 options and make them choose right now, no take-backsies: even when they don't get what they want, people tend to report more happiness with the outcome than when they have a lot of options, especially when they don't get the thing they picked from that larger selection, and especially especially when they had time to debate it.

Two or three options, no debate, just votes: happiness will follow.

I vote for Miriad(again).

I think Dragonfly and Dragora is no good choice if the beginning is Dragonbox.

-Dragonbox Dragonfly? Weard

-Dragonbox Dragora? Weard.

Too many Dragondragondragon.

Miriad. :lol:

changed my vote and added Pyra to it. Easy to remember, sounds a bit like a Dragon , short.

I have the feeling names are being forcefully created. Like when a band is stuck in a record contract and HAVE to create a new album.

I think we should forget the name all together for now. Start designing the device, and a good name will pop up somewhere down the road.

It's like writing a book. You don't create the name first, you write the story then think of a name afterwards.

IMHO Votes for Pyra and Pyragon should be merged...

Because the DragonBox Pyragon is going to end up being affectionately called the Pyra anyway...

Just like the Open Pandora is referred to as the Pandy.

And thus... whoever searches for Pyragon OR Pyra will get significant hits leading to the device.

Also, on a slightly offtopic note - ED... I hope that you will give us at least a couple of weeks or at the very least a week to submit logos *AFTER* the name has been decided... because I've decided I'm not doing any more work on it until I know what it's called.

I have the feeling names are being forcefully created. Like when a band is stuck in a record contract and HAVE to create a new album.

I think we should forget the name all together for now. Start designing the device, and a good name will pop up somewhere down the road.

It's like writing a book. You don't create the name first, you write the story then think of a name afterwards.
Actually, you are right. I always liked the tradition to name a child some time after its birth

and it's a pity, that bureaucracy today forbids that. If the name is supposed to really be related, you have to see the "to be named" first.

And over night the redundant option catches up. Sure, you can play Double Dragon on it. But do we really need that irrelevant word in the name combination twice? Please think about that guys and go with one of the lesser evils.

*sigh*

This name finding business seems to be have been rushed.

I think we should forget the name all together for now. Start designing the device, and a good name will pop up somewhere down the road
As has been explained, trademarks can be rejected as late as 6 months after application, and the logo and brand are kind of linked together, which means that if there is to be a logo on the case it needs to be decided at least 6 months before the case can really begin to be made and tested.Also I strongly suspect that design is a lot further along than people seem to be thinking. We've already seen nubs and a kind of demo board with key contacts and pads all laid out. It wouldn't surprise me if ED needs a name and logo now because he is seriously preparing to start production in the next 6-9 months.

I don't like any of these.

I want some dragon names to choose from. Like "Basilisk" or "Ouroborous" or "Hydra" or "Naga".

Here's a good place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_mythology_and_folklore

The model numbers could be different types of dragons. i.e. "DragonBox Basilisk" etc.

I suppose the main problem is that a lot of dragon names sound pretty ugly, whatever language they're in.

---

Alternately, just use "DragonBox + model#".

EDIT: DragonBox Pyra sounds good too. I like that spelling much better than "Pyrrha" (all that will happen with the latter is many people won't know how to pronounce it)
DragonBox Basilisk actually has some pretty cool implications.

The Basilisk would turn people to stone on sight. In much the same way, a gamer can pick up a console and not move for the next 5 hours.

The implication being that it entertains you so well that it's like you've been turned to stone - the rest of the world no longer matters.

It wouldn't surprise me if ED needs a name and logo now because he is seriously preparing to start production in the next 6-9 months.
If that's somewhere near the truth I wonder why we hear so very little about it. This feels less like a community project and more like a surprise product. Welcome to hard commercial reality, ladies and gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back