Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have liked Myriad, however Miriad simply doen't look as nice. If not Myriad, I think I'm with Dragonfly, it's small and fast, I can also think of some nice designs for the box, and it matches the DragonBox company.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only meaningful numbers I can think of would be 1 and 2, because it's either the first device in the product line, or the second one if the Pandora counts as the first one.

DragonBox 1

or

DragonBox 2

Hm, those don't sound that great. Maybe we should multiply the numbers by 100 or 1000 to have some room for minor model revisions. For example, we could retroactively say that the CC Pandora is the DragonBox 1000, the ReBirth Pandora is the DragonBox 1001, and the 1GHz Pandora is maybe the DragonBox 1500. So then this one would be called:

DragonBox 2000

Hmm, in they year 2013 that sounds kind of weird, old-fashioned and outdated, but maybe that is a feature, not a bug. I don't really like it though.

We could also use numbers that are meaningless and just sound good, but I don't really like that either.

My personal preference is still

DragonBox Pyra

The intentional simplification / misspelling of "Pyrrha" means that for successors of the successor, we can use simplifications / alternative spellings of Pyrrha's offspring, which would be nice because using one of those names "as is" for a device doesn't seem to be a very good idea. [Pyrrha had three sons, Hellen, Amphictyon, Orestheus and three daughters Protogeneia, Pandora II and Thyia.]

I seriously don't get the appeal of Miriad.  

Myriad would have been ok,   if it had been available,   but Miriad just seems...   wrong.

If nothing else you are going to have to spell it out to anyone you want to share it with, because they'll hear Myriad and expect it to be spelled that way.

- Neelix

The only meaningful numbers I can think of would be 1 and 2, because it's either the first device in the product line, or the second one if the Pandora counts as the first one.  
Well not necessarily.

The first Amiga was called the Amiga 1000, and the non-pro version was then called the 500... and that had nothing much to do with the innards of the machine as far as I know.  And just like in the Amiga line you could have a number followed by a "+" to mark a special edition. Not saying it's appropriate or good marketing, but it's been seen before. 

I don't like any of these.

I want some dragon names to choose from. Like "Basilisk" or "Ouroborous" or "Hydra" or "Naga".

Here's a good place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_mythology_and_folklore

The model numbers could be different types of dragons. i.e. "DragonBox Basilisk" etc.

I suppose the main problem is that a lot of dragon names sound pretty ugly, whatever language they're in.

---

Alternately, just use "DragonBox + model#".

EDIT: DragonBox Pyra sounds good too. I like that spelling much better than "Pyrrha" (all that will happen with the latter is many people won't know how to pronounce it)

Zenbox Dragon.... I actually like that. Dragon is the first model.. not the brand :D

or consider something like DragonBox Alpha. Dragonfly Alpha.

I don't like weird names at the end when we're everybody is going to just call it the dragonbox anyway.

openzenbox.com or zenboxdragon.com is available.

or Xenbox

DragonBox 1
I wanted to suggest the same. Just naming it One. All mythology related names sound very affected to me.

DragonboxPyra.com -> available

DragonboxPyra.de -> available

DragonboxPyra.org -> available

Any reason why we're not calling it Dragonbox Pyra? Seems everyone liked Pyra and the web sites are all available.

I dislike those names, and think a "model number" would be better.

DragonBox DB-1 or what not

I don't like weird names at the end when we're everybody is going to just call it the dragonbox anyway.
I  tend to doubt that will happen if there is a real product name to go with it.   e.g.  If the current trend were to continue and it ends up being called the DragonBox Miriad then I would expect most people to refer to it as the Miriad in popular usage.

(I really hope that trend changes...  I find Miriad is hard to type.  I keep typing a y after the M instinctively.)

- Neelix

Now that Pyra is available as an option, I have changed my vote to it.

I would suggest the Pyrrha option be deleted and it's votes transferred to Pyra, unless there are objections?

Voted Miriad. Reasons: I think that "DragonBox's Miriad" sounds good :), is not very long, rolls ok off the tongue and is pronunciable in at least English, Spanish, French, German and Japanese (miriado?).

Okay... added pyra as well...

This is definitely more confusing and harder than I imagined.

Whatever you do, someone complains :)
You can always use your this tag to solve the problem:

<dictator> what ever is to solve </dictator>

or, if you feel better:

<benevolent dictator> what ever is to solve </benevolent dictator>

;-)

EDIT:

and if you find all this way to easy, try to get a name by consensus of all forum members :)

Voted Miriad. Reasons: I think that "DragonBox's Miriad" sounds good :), is not very long, rolls ok off the tongue and is pronunciable in at least English, Spanish, French, German and Japanese (miriado?).
And in Italian too :)

DragonBox 1
I wanted to suggest the same. Just naming it One. All mythology related names sound very affected to me.
I don't think that is a good idea. People will think of a different one.

Okay... added pyra as well...

This is definitely more confusing and harder than I imagined.

Whatever you do, someone complains :)
De gustibus et coloribus et Pandorae successorum nominibus non est disputandum...

Thanks for adding "Pyra"! - I'm not sure how many people will come back to revise their votes though (both Pyrrha and Pyra were not an option originally), so I'm not sure if the vote is still fair. Then again we cannot keep rebooting the poll :)

Maybe one final vote reboot might be a good idea though, this time with a first post that explains the name suggestions (e.g. what myriad means and why it is spelled miriad because of trademark issues, pyrrha being the daughter of pandora but too hard to spell, and so on) and perhaps gives an indication of their most important pros and cons (e.g. url availabilities, originality, wanted and unwanted references or connotations, and so on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back