Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit lost as to why we haven't stuck with DragonBox, it's what the vast majority voted for after all.

That said, I get the feeling we are rushing with the name, we had a short time to choose a name , but I feel in that time people more or less had writers block. I think you may find better suggestions as the product comes along, it's not uncommon for a company to choose a name close to launch date - in fact it's probably the norm.

I hate to say it , but to me, the current names are crap for a range of reasons. Particularly Miriad , one of the most important things when choosing a name is to ensure it identifies with the product. Ie what is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a name , and does that identify with your product. Miriad sounds like an old spinster who lives down the street and has four cats.

You might as well call it the Aunt Mildred.

^ I don't mean to sound disrespectful or suchlike here, but how does being ace at technical contributions make him the best person to choose a name?
It doesent necessarily. I was suggesting it as a courtesy and a small reward.

My main problem with Miriad is that it's not spelled correctly (in UK English) people will think it's called Myriad. That, and it's not as good a name as Dragonfly.

Dragonfly does have a good ring to me but Dragon Box-Dragonfly less so.

There are plenty of good logo and slogan opportunities with Dragonfly.

I'm a bit lost as to why we haven't stuck with DragonBox, it's what the vast majority voted for after all.

That said, I get the feeling we are rushing with the name, we had a short time to choose a name , but I feel in that time people more or less had writers block. I think you may find better suggestions as the product comes along, it's not uncommon for a company to choose a name close to launch date - in fact it's probably the norm.

I hate to say it , but to me, the current names are crap for a range of reasons. Particularly Miriad , one of the most important things when choosing a name is to ensure it identifies with the product. Ie what is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a name , and does that identify with your product. Miriad sounds like an old spinster who lives down the street and has four cats.

You might as well call it the Aunt Mildred.
a) You can't have the brand name the same as the product name unless you are only ever planning on making one primary product

B) As ED said, a trademark can be rejected within 6 moths. There may be plans for cases and other branded parts by then

c) the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "miriad" is "a large number"

You can't have the brand name the same as the product name unless you are only ever planning on making one primary product
Nintendo Entertainment SystemSuper Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo 64

and then it broke down...

If ED has plans for other products then that's a reason to not name it the same. But even then there plenty of examples where that has been broken. On the flip side, one of the main reasons companies choose to keep it the same is that it offers you to promote both company and product together with minimal marketing spend . Ie for companies that can't afford much on marketing, does that sound like EDs company, does to me.

In regards to Miriad , so it reminds you of Myriad which is spelt differently, an issue others have already noted.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't have the brand name the same as the product name unless you are only ever planning on making one primary product
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo 64

and then it broke down...
That works.

The problem would be if they had decided to call their first console "The Nintendo"

In regards to Miriad , so it reminds you of Myriad which is spelt differently, an issue others have already noted
Given that they both have the same pronunciation I don't know why it would conjure up a different meaning in your head.Avter awl, yor brayn shud bee vary gud at reeding contects even when most of the words are mispeled.

As a name Miriad reminds me of Miriam , not exactly a difficult to see connection.

As a name Miriad reminds me of Miriam , not exactly a difficult to see connection
I disagree, reading it as Miriam requires your brain to actively substitute one sound for another. That should make it more difficult than associating it with something which is pronounced exactly the same way. If Miriam is what you read then I would suspect you're in the global minority.

^ You associate names with similar names , don't see how that's difficult to see. You are not necessarily going to associate it with a word, but more or less what comes into your mind first. Your assuming , people will associate it with Myriad, if you didn't know that word could you honestly say that would still be the case. Myriad is not a word I'd say the vast majority of people know. Plus , what I was trying to say in that last post, is if you did know the word , you would lean to miss spelling Miriad as Myriad.

But heh , that's just my take on it. As I said though, I'd like to see more options, there's no real rush to choose any of these names , and rushing it is what it feels like we are doing IMO.

Rushing is kind of exciting too though, like the plans are just about ready.

Miriad sounds kinda "soft" and female, even more than Pandora. But OK, if people choose it, why not. I see no issue with Miriad/Myriad, it even makes the device name more clear. I suggest to raise the 2 "i" for the logo in a optical highlighted way so it is 100% clear that MIRIAD is intended to be written like this. ;)

Hydra would be my pick for something both mythical Greek and draconic. Or perhaps Lernaean/Lernaea if we were trying to be obscure with the same reference.

Pandorica would be a hip Doctor Who reference. Tardis would be a brilliant choice if the case was blue, but then you'd be screwed, blued and sued.

Dracolich (an undead dragon, hence a dragonbox which plays old games) is a tight name, but owned by Hasbro, who do like to sue, too.

if you didn't know that word could you honestly say that would still be the case
Not at all. If someone hears a name that they don't recognize they tend to assume it is a name in itself. If they didn't know the word myriad, Miriad would just be another weird name.We're hit with products and brands that are just names all the time. No one says "Sony? Sounds like 'sorry', won't buy that product". No one has ever "unironically" said that or anything like it, I can almost guarantee. I honestly believe you are forcing a connection where most wouldn't see it. If they'd never heard the word myriad I would honestly expect them to just associate Miriad as any other name they'd never heard before.

I don't know how to say Miriad..

I don't know how to spell if it wasn't written in front of me.

I don't know what Miriad is.

apart from that.. it's great

What about doing it retro way and using model numbers:

DragonBox 2600

DragonBox64

DragonBox over-9000
At least it won't sound ridiculous.

Maybe there's a nice number in the new hardware, but as we don't know what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back