Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't surprise me if ED needs a name and logo now because he is seriously preparing to start production in the next 6-9 months.
If that's somewhere near the truth I wonder why we hear so very little about it. This feels less like a community project and more like a surprise product. Welcome to hard commercial reality, ladies and gents.
Come off it...  The community has been collectively sharing its vision for the Pandora successor for at least a couple of years now.  Certainly enough for ED to get a good idea of what the community wants and take it into consideration when designing his device.

Also as has been pointed out getting community consensus on anything is worse than herding cats.  Better for ED to quietly make executive decisions, or nothing would ever get done.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
This feels less like a community project and more like a surprise product
Why? Just because he didn't ask for detailed input over several months? This forum is full of everyone's opinions and ideas! All EvilDragon would need to do is read through the threads here to get an understanding of what the community wants.Design by comity very rarely works, you'd be at it for months. Look at how much controversy something as basic as the name has already produced, and you think we'd be able to reach some kind of consensus on complex questions like keyboards and hardware features? That was done when the P1 was being designed, even months after it was "complete", it was not very productive.

If I'm right, what ED has done is taken everyone's ideas and meshed them into what is hopefully a wonderful device which, while not absolutely perfect for everyone, hits the important points that people are looking for. I'm quite ok with this, there is nothing more that I think could be discussed that hasn't already been discussed countless times in previous threads.

edit: nicely ninja'd :D

I also included "Myriad" because Google was constantly automatically "correcting" me to that, so I think it's relevant to include that data too.

I think the above chart shows that Miriad and DragonFly are not very good choices in terms of originality / confusion risk / easy to find with a Google search.

Dragora, Myridon and Pyragon are very good choices. Pandragon, Pyrrha and Pyra are intermediate ("Pyra" is actually worse than "Miriad" if you consider only the actual query, but at least it does not get auto-corrected to something else).

If you take away Myriad and DragonFly from the above chart, you get this:
Would it be difficult to re-run that with some of the other serious suggestions? I.e. Tiamat, Basilisk, Myrmidon, Dragonnode, etc? I'm not sure how much labor is involved in generating your results. It may not be worth it - your judgment.

/*********Topic change*************/

Since >75% seem to want something (anything?) other than Miriad, maybe we need to step back and find some other options that may be more acceptable?

Or maybe a poll with two options:

A. Call the device Miriad.

B. Oh God no, please don't call it Miriad! We can do so much better than that!

I'm in the B camp.

Thank you.

This feels less like a community project and more like a surprise product
Why? Just because he didn't ask for detailed input over several months? This forum is full of everyone's opinions and ideas! All EvilDragon would need to do is read through the threads here to get an understanding of what the community wants.
Design by comity very rarely works, you'd be at it for months. Look at how much controversy something as basic as the name has already produced, and you think we'd be able to reach some kind of consensus on complex questions like keyboards and hardware features? That was done when the P1 was being designed, even months after it was "complete", it was not very productive.

If I'm right, what ED has done is taken everyone's ideas and meshed them into what is hopefully a wonderful device which, while not absolutely perfect for everyone, hits the important points that people are looking for. I'm quite ok with this, there is nothing more that I think could be discussed that hasn't already been discussed countless times in previous threads.

edit: nicely ninja'd :D
I am talking about documentation.

Since >75% seem to want something (anything?) other than Miriad, maybe we need to step back and find some other options that may be more acceptable?

Or maybe a poll with two options:

A. Call the device Miriad.

B. Oh God no, please don't call it Miriad! We can do so much better than that!

I'm in the B camp.

Thank you.
I feel with you there. Going Miriad is like voting for the party which is likely to do less damage thatn the others.

I am talking about documentation.
There are potentially many reasons to keep silent about stuff. ED's told us he's already sourced a SoC, but is intentionally not telling us: maybe he's under NDA, maybe he's worried it may fall through in the next couple weeks and doesn't want to get our hopes up. He's shown us the nubs, he's shown us a board, there's obviously no case to show. There's probably also a lot of stuff that still needs to be sorted out, even if it is further along in design than we might think. He probably also wants to hold off on giving details exactly because he knows how much controversy it would cause: no matter what he picks there is going to be someone to complain about it. Executive decisions have to be made to make progress, what's the benefit in giving people the illusion of choice? It'll only make them unhappy.Even if ED knows he'd be ready to go 6 months from now, 6 months is still a long time, plenty of time to divulge all the information he's been collecting. Have some faith man.

There's still plenty Pandoras to sell. The name just gives us a way to refer to the successor in the forum without all the linguistic gymnastics. That's what I view this thread as being for.

I think most voters for Miriad would rather see Myriad and would have picked that if it was available. I don't think the name is such a big deal anyway and none of the names are embarrassingly bad.

I also think Miriad is a bit awkward and maybe by choosing OpenMyriad you can have the Myriad that seems to be the preferred name and still have a good search result in google. Also all domains are still available.

Honestly I think a lot of people are voting for Miriad just to stop Dragonfly from winning..

There was some talking in the p2 spam section about keyboard layout soc case lte etc. ed posted a My ideas thread. and talked with exo notaz about the soc. i think this is community input. but maybe an official keyboard, soc, case, network & stuff thread would help. maybe copy good stuff like binkis layout into it. and talk officially about the p2 :)

Honestly I think a lot of people are voting for Miriad just to stop Dragonfly from winning..
Could be. I also think Dragonfly is probably the worst name possible, but I am looking at the names rationally. Domain names and google searches. On the other hand ED added the names in the poll for a reason. So basically he thinks any of those are fine, who are we to doubt his judgement. 

^ Agreed it's a great sounding name by itself, but just used way too much. I think many flyby voters are not putting much thought into it.

Could be true. I'm not a fan of such strategic voting - it's more interesting to see what names people really like, and then it's up to ED to do with that information what he wants.

It's quite hard to interpret the poll results, not just because of strategic voting, but also because you can pick multiple names and because not all poll options have been there from the beginning.

I can't help wondering if the results would be different if ED had worked the DragonBox bit into each of the various options instead of the heading.

- Neelix

how about "wyvern" as name? Its basicly the name of a winged dragon and a rare one on top of that? It sounds very nice. For the naming schema I'd pick something like wyvern "black scab", "poison haze", "bone tale", (didn't give it much thought but you get the idea) or as mentioned before a retro like number? Anything cool sounding behind wyvern : )

I can't help wondering if the results would be different if ED had worked the DragonBox bit into each of the various options instead of the heading.

- Neelix
"DragonBox DragonFly" would certainly not get that many votes.

Then again, in practice people would talk about the "DragonFly" and rarely use the full name. We don't say "OpenPandora Pandora" either.

Anyway, I think either ED should just pick a name (there will never be something that everyone likes), or the poll should be restarted once again, with all options in the poll from the beginning and an explanation of the rationale behind the candidate names. Also it might be a better idea to ask what names are acceptable to you, instead of asking what the name should be.

- Neelix
 "DragonBox DragonFly" would certainly not get that many votes.

Then again, in practice people would talk about the "DragonFly" and rarely use the full name. We don't say "OpenPandora Pandora" either.

Anyway, I think either ED should just pick a name (there will never be something that everyone likes), or the poll should be restarted once again, with all options in the poll from the beginning and an explanation of the rationale behind the candidate names. Also it might be a better idea to ask what names are acceptable to you, instead of asking what the name should be.
Here's a thought...

Start with all of the seriously proposed names.

After week 1, eliminate the bottom half of the results and create a new poll.

After week 2, eliminate the bottom half of the results and create a new poll.

...etc... until there are 2-3 remaining. Then create 2-3 polls, one for each name with the question: Is it acceptable to call the device "XXXXX"? Yes, No.

Of course, we're all just 'input'. The only vote that matters in all of this is ED's - and that is as it should be.

how about "wyvern" as name? Its basicly the name of a winged dragon and a rare one on top of that? It sounds very nice. For the naming schema I'd pick something like wyvern "black scab", "poison haze", "bone tale", (didn't give it much thought but you get the idea) or as mentioned before a retro like number? Anything cool sounding behind wyvern : )
Wyvern is too English - otherwise I'd be OK with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern

Since the Internet has a subject-oriented page on pretty much anything... How about a German dragon?

http://www.draconika.com/cultures/german-dragons.php

I'm particularly fond of: "Die Siebenkopfige Schlange", but have absolutely no clue how to pronounce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back