Replacing Tapatalk with our own app

Should we use this app or stick with Tapatalk?

• Use this app (Android only)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Use this app (Android and iOS)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Stick with Tapatalk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care, I don't use an app

Votes: 26 89.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As you all know, the forum currently uses Tapatalk for mobile clients.
While this has some advantages (it's free, users can use Tapatalk for multiple boards at once, etc.), it also has its downsides (annoying Tapatalk requester for normal users, etc.)

There is a possibility that we can us our own app. The app would be free for all users, no ads or anything.
We can also offer the APK directly, without any google storeor anything.
The app would not be that expensive for me, so it would be good alternative.

A demo version of the app is available here (for a different forum):
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truongluu.nobitame
Apple Store: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1475243070

Key features:
  • News feeds screen
  • Forum list screen
  • Conversations (list, detail) screen
  • Watched threads list
  • Ignoring members list
  • Following members list
  • Support login with Two Factor Authentication
  • Profile screen
  • Thread detail screen
  • Notifications screen
  • Profile post screen

What do you think?

I take it this is some service XenForo offers?

Does it have administrative tools for us moderators?

I would want to use the firefox when connecting through the Pyra to the forum...

as long as it doesn't ask you to look at the forums in the app (rather than from the browser), i'd be happier with an alternative...

Is the mobile web experience so bad that we need a 3rd-party app at all? I just opened the forums on my phone with a browser and it looked fine - maybe apps were useful some years ago, but both browsers and responsive web design evolved lots since then :) I also don't miss the posts where "Written on my Samsung with Tapatalk" is half the content xD

Reactions: rSl
The website works fine enough for me. Got really sick of using Tapatalk, and will never use that again.

When I have my Pyra, most likely I wouldn't be interested in any app. Vaguely interested if it streamlines using the forum, but can't say I'd be excited at the idea... I'd personally move away from Android full stop.

Reactions: rSl
Tapatalk App is horrible, the browser version of the forums works great on mobiles.

However an App would make it easier to access and it shouldn't discriminate platforms as there are iOS forum users as well :)

Back