Scummvm For The Gp32 0.5.1 - Scummy Alpha

I'm not at home right now, so no news about all this.
I need to find how ScummVM reads this .BUN file (and what is this GetGamePath() function).

I have source at home which was used to build a program that extract DIGMUSIC.BUN to WAV files (not one of my program, but didn't remember his name). It was a hack from ScummVM source. I guess it'll help me to figure out how these BUN files are handled, and also how to extract and recompress DIGVOICE into OGG and MP3.

Once I'll sort this all, I'll get into the reading of this file in-game (maybe like monster.sog and so3 are?)

anyway, if I'm leading in the wrong way please tell me (if you can understand all I've tried to say =).
I'll tell you more once I'll get more into all this mess

:huh: I need help with encoding my DOTT MONSTER.SOU to ogg vorbis. I have SCUMMVM tools and vorbis tools and lame.exe 3.95. It seems that every time I try to encode it, the file gets resampled from 22222khz to 22050khz and this then has dire results causing stuttering without the music being enabled and a mess with music enabled the game freezes. Which versions of the tools and lame should I use and where do I get them? Thanks

And in case anyone wants to know I took the DOTT demo for comparison and copied DOTT.000, DOTT.001 and the native MONSTER.SOU and it runs perfectly no slowdown or artifacts. So something is up with the encoding proceedure. Watching demo reminds me of what I am missing out on without the voice acting. Now if only the SMC's were a higher capacity I wouldn't need to worry about compressing files, oh well.

Thanks in advance.

I think mp3 isn't supported yet, only ogg. so stick with OGG only, not lame (mp3).

try to compress in ogg with:

extract --vorbis monster.sou

you should get a monster.sog file. then only up this file (not the .sou) to your SMC, it should work

Yeah i read the read me file which said mp3's aren't yet supported. What I was saying was that I encoded using the extract --vorbis monster.sou and got a monster.sog file which is not in sync with the music or the game in fact. i see that resampling is taking place during the encoding process but i can't see how to stop it. i would like to know which versions of the tools people are using. I have scummvm-tools-0.5.0-win32 and vorbis-tools-1.0.1-win32 are these the same as everybody else is using. Anyone getting the same results as me?

Thanks

ok, my fault, didn't tried this ogg conversion on gp32. in fact I have only intro speaking version, so no use (3meg to 2meg ogged =)
I see your point. gonna try this on several other games to see if it's only maniac 2 that is lagging when ogged.

ok. this test was really fast. same problem on maniac 2 french (anyway it's the same monster.sou file), and I couldn't even extract the monster.sou of Sam & Max. no error message, just a 1k .ogg file.

hmm, that's a bit strange, anyone succesfully played an OGG file one GPScummGP? I'm really surprised no one see this problem before...

I tried encoding the monster.sou file on the dott demo and got the same thing happening badly distorted out of sync sounds. Anyone if this isn't happening to you and you have successfully converted your monster.sou files please tell me what you did differently.

Thanks

My wish for DJWillis for the next release please enable MP3 support, one so I may get my talkies to work and second because the MP3 file was actually 7 megs smaller than the OGG turned out to be.

in fact I never saw the point of ogg compressing. it was always bigger than mp3... when I encoded the bun into mp3 I got 50 meg (around 70 for the ogg)

I guess with a divx support (lol) the dig will fit entirely on a 128 SMC :p

Usually, OGG makes smaller files for the same quality.
I don't know though why the scummvm team creates ogg files at a higher bitrate than mp3 files...?

in fact, with quality set to 5 in both oggenc (81-82 kbps VBR) and lame (64 kbps CBR), mp3 is smaller. but ogg is in VBR (damn I hate VBR), maybe it's why GPScumm is have trouble decoding it

Because scummvm doesn't know which voices come next - it depends on what you do, select, etc.

EvilDragon, thanks, spot on BTW.

Spaz O Mataz, I do not want to break compatibility with the ScummVM core. The GP32 port is only really a backend, it has to use the standard interfaces like all other backends if I want to maintain compatibility and have a hope in hell of keeping it up to date. Yes, this will mean that this port will never be 100% GP32 optimised but that is the compromise for running these games on the device in the 1st place. This makes implementation of any sort of buffering or very big GP32 hacks a little tricky.

I did state this alpha was to prove OGG was possible, not to give anybody a useable ScummVM port with OGG :D. There is a very long way to go and loads of room for improvement yet.

Fanck/EvilDragon,

Little unsure of the reasons for the choice of VBR OGG files in ScummVM myself. I know that this is all changing with the 0.6.0 version so I’ll look into it. For now OGG’s are bigger, there is little I can do about that.

Just for the record, the only reason OGG is in this build and not MP3 is I started trying to port Tremor for a media player long before I looked at MAD so that got done 1st :D. Yoyo indirectly helping me to fix a memory leak in the Tremor port was also a big + :D.

NeoStuey,

If I can fix one or two remaining bugs with MAD then MP3 support should not be a problem. If anybody is an expert on libMAD and fancies dropping me an email please do :D.

taubstumm,

The slow cursor needs a fix; I can't use the same hack as older versions in the latest code so I am trying other ideas. I don’t personally want the cursor as fast as the old builds but a fair bit faster then now would not hurt.

Spaz O Mataz,

Very aware of the P800 Symbian port. It mainly uses eSDL (P800 SDL port) so is not really much use to me as I have decided not to use an SDL backend. As for the GP32 being more of less powerful, I don't think it matters, there different devices and there is very little common ground, code wise, that has not already been covered.

It is also based on ScummVM 0.5.1 but my code (well the newer stuff) is based on the much newer CVS code. That is VERY different, trust me. I still have a little way to go to get all the functionality of this version working in the latest code but the overall ScummVM code is much nicer to work with these days :D.

long time no see ...

no more thread to this subject? it's kinda sad.
I don't have time to work more on the code, and scummvm 6 isn't out yet. anyway I'll be back soon (I hope so). meanwhile, can someone help me a little. since I don't have time yet, I would like to know where in the source (of scummvm) is the actual mp3 and ogg decoding, and also the indexing of monsters files.

I would really appreciate help on this, so when I get back I'll be able to really work on my project. plus it can speed me up since searching through all this code kinda desperate me =)

hoping DJWillis is still on GPScummVM (when he gets time =)
don't let it die!
see ya all

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!
Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!
Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...

(owner hits the cage)

Owner: There, he moved!
Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!
Owner: I never!!
Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!
Owner: I never, never did anything...
Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!
(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)
Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.
Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!
Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?
Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun Easily, major.
Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.
Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.
Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?
Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!
Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!
Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

On that rather inane note I figured it is time for an update of sorts.

ScummMV for the GP32 is very far from dead, a few new test builds have gone out to various testers to look at very specific fixes or features such as CPU timings, Game bugs, MP3 or BASS/Simon crashes etc.

The main ScummVM project is VERY close to releasing 0.6.0 and the GP32 port will still be a good way behind it in getting its 0.6.0 release :( this is mainly as my personal life is very manic right now and I have little time to work on my GP32 projects and keep the code close enough in line with CVS for it to be ready for the 0.6.0 main branch.

Fanck, you have been getting CVS code when you have been playing with the Dig MP3/OGG stuff? You will have noticed all the MP3 and OGG code has been separated out into sound/mp3.cpp and sound/vorbis.cpp so this should provide all you need in one place. I hope that helps.

DJWillis posted on Feb 7 2004 at 07:25 PM said:
ScummMV for the GP32 is very far from dead, a few new test builds have gone out to various testers to look at very specific fixes or features such as CPU timings, Game bugs, MP3 or BASS/Simon crashes etc.
Great!

Btw I only have the CD version of "Day of the Tentacle" is there any way to use it just like the disc version (e.g. no speech but music and text)?

Thanks for the great work so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Julius posted on Feb 9 2004 at 12:30 AM said:
Great!

Btw I only have the CD version of "Day of the Tentacle" is there any way to use it just like the disc version (e.g. no speech but music and text)?

Thanks for the great work so far!
You just have to erase the monster.sou file to get the disk version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back