Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

^ An add on would be almost as bad as carrying a seperate camera or device, which defeats the point.

Perhaps the easiest solution for an externally facing camera would be to put it on the back where the ports are. The camera would just need a small hole in the back like the rest of the ports there. It also could then be attached straight to, or as close as possible, to the PCB. Alternatively , the camera could be added to the bottom of the Pyra. The camera would then be mounted to the back of the PCB. With the screen folded horizontal in line with the keyboard, and the trigger button used to take a photo. Would probably work well ergonomically .

If it's to much to add it to both Pyra versions , then adding it to the 3G version would make sense for reasons previously given. The GPS in this model would be great for geotagging photos also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you could fit a 5mm hole, the case could be a little wider due to 5" screen which would make further room - just don't know at this point. Failing that , I gave a second option.

I'm sure you could fit a 5mm hole, failing that I gave a second option.
Not really, we have to fit 4 shoulder buttons, microUSB, microHDMI, full-size USB, and possibly a miniUSB and EXT port back there.

As for the second option, that would be easily susceptible to scratching the lens, wouldn't it? or also there could be the problem of the battery being in the way.

-God Ginrai

^ where do you think the camera is on smart phones , their back , which is the bottom when you put them down. They are just indented a small amount so the lense isn't flush.

Probaby the easiest option to implement out of the 2 , as the camera just gets mounted/connected directly to the bottom of the PCB. The battery only covers half of the bottom so there is plenty of room.

Plus as I said ,for the first option and probably second preference, the Pyra could well have more room on the back if it's wider to accommodate the 5" screen. This is something only ED could say at this point. But this would be my second preference anyway.

^ The battery takes up more than half the bottom. plus, at the top part of the bottom, all those ports and the shoulders are in the way. The only possible way to do that would be if you placed it at the bottom of the bottom.

-God Ginrai

^ either way , there is still plenty of room on the bottom for it. Of course, since we don't know the case size, it could be even more with the Pyra. Not that it needs any more than a 5mm hole on the bottom , so a rather moot point. It will fit somewhere on the bottom .

^ if it can be done on the lid , yeah I agree. If not, this is an alternative option which is simpler to implement.

Shoulder trigger button for shutter too, I love using my phone's physical volume buttons for shutter and video capture... Using on screen buttons rubbish

Shoulder trigger button for shutter too, I love using my phone's physical volume buttons for shutter and video capture... Using on screen buttons rubbish
The 3ds has it that you have to press L and R to go straight to the camera. Maybe we can have that.

What about an optional USB camera module or something? Those that want it can purchase it separately and plug it in.

Something like this:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/usb-mini-webcam/
Nice in theory but as I found when I purchased a similar LED keyboard light, that sort of 'bendable arm' doesn't work well in practice. 1) It puts a fair amount of strain on the USB port, which has to support the entire weight of the device, and 2) There is no fine control over the positioning, If you make a slight adjustment it just goes back to its previous position, which means that if it's slightly out, getting it pointing in the right direction can be hell.

- Neelix

I use video conferencing regularly, I would like it to have a user-facing camera. Quality doesn't matter too much, I don't care if they go for a cheap module.

The 3ds has it that you have to press L and R to go straight to the camera. Maybe we can have that.
Recently Nintendo changed it to L+R, which is much better because it's harder to do by accident.

Edit: Wait a minute... I read "L or R" in your post for some reason.

All it takes is some tape for those times. :p
That depends on how strict the place is. The rule is so you can't take pictures. However, tape doesn't actually prevent that, since you could always take it off when you wanted to break the rule.

-God Ginrai

Back