Some more of my ideas

a LED dedicated for NAND R/W
But if there is no more nand ? (it's probably will be emmc)
Then, whe will need a LED to dedicated EMMC R/W

No problems for me..

How about the DPAD?? The Pandora 2 will designt by a Company, but not by DaveC like the old Pandora, , so will the new DPAD will be as good as the P1 one ??  I hope so  as the Pandora 1 DPAD is the Best DPAD i ever used..

I wouldn't mind seeing an anodized aluminium P2 as per MacBook pros . If it's not too expensive that is. If we're going to pay $600 or so on a P2, might as well have something that feels as premium as the price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ not sure what the issue was with that model of the iPhone, must have been solved though seeing since there is no issue with the iPads , MacBook pros , iPhones and iPod touches we've owned.

The problem with aluminum is that it is expensive. All other problems are solvable.

Would be interesting to find out how much an aluminium body for the P2 would cost.

I have a Metall Case from Big Ben on my Nintendo 3DS XL, and dosnt have a Problem whit Wifi,

but i would prefer a tought Plastik Case on the P2..

And yes, i reffer to the original Post from ED whit my DPAD Question..

EDIT: And a Metall Case is mybe a bit too heavy.. (Heavy Metall :) )

I wants my Pandora 2 in Blue :)

AFAIR the company suggested some carbon plastic material (pretty much the same that's used for expensive car armatures).

Very robust, doesn't get scratches, no fingerprints and you can even make a design with inlays and could therefore make special retro-editions.

Haven't seen that yet, so I can't say much about that and can't confirm that this will be the material we'll use.
If it is carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer, that sounds promising! From wikipedia:

Although carbon fiber can be relatively expensive, it has many applications in aerospace and automotive fields, such as Formula One racing. The compound is also used in sailboats, rowing shells, modern bicycles, and motorcycles because of its high strength-to-weight ratio and very good rigidity. Improved manufacturing techniques are reducing the costs and time to manufacture, making it increasingly common in small consumer goods as well, such as certain ThinkPads since the 600 series, tripods, fishing rods, hockey sticks, paintball equipment, archery equipment, tent poles, racquet frames, stringed instrument bodies, drum shells, golf clubs, helmets used as a paragliding accessory and pool/billiards/snooker cues.
This material has a strength-to-weight ratio of 785 kN m/kg (according to the table on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength-to-weight_ratio). That makes it much stronger per kilogram than aluminium (214), steel (254), titanium (288), and regular types of plastic.

Sounds very good to me!

The problem with aluminum is that it is expensive. All other problems are solvable.
I can imagine to only make the hinge out of metal, menaing not only the internal hinge parts but also the connection spots between lid and bottom case. Some notebooks use this and it seems to be an pretty durable solution. :)

Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer for the rest of the case also sounds nice. I know there are comparable cheap solutions, not exactly the well known carbon stuff but durable plastic that contains carbon pieces and this stuff is even used to make modern gun cases. So it should be REALLY durable. ^^

Im guessing as with most carbon fiber its interleaving is what dictates the breaking force and the direction of force is a lot more important. The raw price of aluminium is 12dollars per kilo last time i checked. Its the milling that costs. Molding aluminum i dont think makes sense for small things.

Carbon fibre with plastic sounds like the best of everything. Hoping its non-toxic plastic and that its recycled.

Mmm... exotic, expensive and unattainable materials should probably be avoided.

It seems real weird to me for you guys to want a FOSS handheld made out of the most proprietary and expensive products on the planet.

I could see giving the device a cast aluminum central frame & heat sink & radiator (front). The motherboard would mount to it from above (dual sided MB with keys on the top and CPU on the bottom). Case plastics would screw into it. Hinge bottom would be part of the aluminum mold.

As for, "Molding aluminum i dont think makes sense for small things." That's just plain silly. Have you ever seen a, "Hot Wheels" car? Take a close look sometime. They're pretty detailed little things. That is the type of detail and production scale you can get in die-cast aluminum.

Aluminum doesn't have to be milled (expensive processing) to be effective for structural and heat transfer needs (die cast).

It will be nice to see a magnesium alloy case, but I am afraid it will be too expensive.  

Magnesium is the high end when it comes to the laptop cases (electronics cases in general), because it is very strong, sturdy, nice to touch, fingerprint and scratch resistant. Thats why there are so many Dell laptops (I mean real laptops not abominations like Inspiron)  that looks like they are brand new.

Shock resistant polymer like the one in the ThinkPads will be nice too.

I personally don't care about the material of the case as long as its strong and fingerprint resistant.

All glossy things should be banned by the LAW.

Back